Welcome to CollectorFreaks.com! Register today to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and easy!
Advanced Search
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Super Freak
    Feedback
    6 (100%)

Default Re: Shenmue I & II HD

Yeah I'll be picking this up. Never played them before so I'll get to see what the hype is about.
    This is how the world ends. Not with a bang, but a whimper.

Super Freak
    Feedback
    1 (100%)
    This is the game that started the trend. I so loved my Sega Dreamcast when this was released I couldn’t put it down. So glad they are re-releasing it in HD easy buy for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Freak
    Feedback
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    Now I can see what all the fuss is about. I only played one of them briefly at a friend's house like 20 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSensationalSean View Post
    Shenmue is a series I've been fascinated by, but unable to play, for nearly 20 years. At last, can't wait to get it (and hopefully I'll get over the dated game mechanics quickly).
    Quote Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
    Yeah I'll be picking this up. Never played them before so I'll get to see what the hype is about.
    Don't let hype kill the experience for you. It's a slow burn grounded in a realistic setting of 1986-1987 Japan. Go in objectively as you can and be patient as you play as the game isn't 100% action all the time. More like 60% Story/Exploration/Daily Life and 40% Action whereas Shenmue II is more 50/50. Too many times I see people complain about how slow it is or how boring the real-life stuff is and they never just sit the hell down and enjoy the whole ride.

I also can't stress enough to play the game with Japanese dub and English subtitles.

Sent from my 404SC using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Brandoloneous; 04-15-2018 at 04:43 PM.
    Check out My Collection Thread and my extensive RESIDENT EVIL Customs!
    Persona 3/5/4

Super Freak
    Feedback
    1 (100%)
    One of the best ost’s in video game history. And yes the Eng dub is terrible lol. Dont know why I never thought to switch it over. I was young.

PCS Heman/Battlecat, P1 90's Turtles, SS Voltron, F4F Saitama on the way

Super Freak
    Feedback
    8 (100%)
    My brother replayed 1 recently and although it did some much for open exploration, etc. when it came out, it's very dated now. I'll still replay them though on the pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandoloneous View Post
    Don't let hype kill the experience for you. It's a slow burn grounded in a realistic setting of 1986-1987 Japan. Go in objectively as you can and be patient as you play as the game isn't 100% action all the time. More like 60% Story/Exploration/Daily Life and 40% Action whereas Shenmue II is more 50/50. Too many times I see people complain about how slow it is or how boring the real-life stuff is and they never just sit the hell down and enjoy the whole ride.

I also can't stress enough to play the game with Japanese dub and English subtitles.
    It’s the Japanese culture aspect that intrigues me the most! I expect the ‘90s gameplay stiffness will be most annoying thing, but I’ll try to prepare myself for that.

And thanks for the tip regarding the Japanese dub/English subs - I’ve heard some of the terrible English dub in the years since release!

Super Freak
    Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandoloneous View Post
    Definitely play the game with Japanese dub and English subs. Unless you want the horrible English dub to take you out of the story, I'd suggest playing with the English dub during a second playthrough to laugh at your heart's content. The Japanese dub is phenomenal and more genuine in comparison.

Shenmue started the whole QTE craze and I think God of War and Resident Evil 4 helped push it more into the mainstream. If awesome QTEs from the game that started them aren't really your thing, there's actual skill involved too:

Every character has their own schedule and home they return to. Meaning, even the NPCs have purpose. Some more than others, where they'll teach you new moves. For example, Jianmin in Shenmue II who teaches you the Iron Palm. Start at 5:25

The Shenmue creator coined the term ‘Quick Time Event’ but it had been around as a video game staple for over a decade.
    Classics like Dragon’s Lair and Space Ace were all about QTE.

Super Freak
    Feedback
    23 (100%)
    The Shenmue creator coined the term ‘Quick Time Event’ but it had been around as a video game staple for over a decade.
    Classics like Dragon’s Lair and Space Ace were all about QTE.
    100% true.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
    Persona 3/5/4

Super Freak
    Feedback
    23 (100%)
    "Yeah they probably will, but let them. There's a target audience for slower, spiritual type games, as the modern love for indie games, walking sims, Telltale Games, and adventure games shows beyond a doubt. People expect games to be in your face when Shenmue isn't that, it's an experience; you're developing with this person."

Last edited by Brandoloneous; 04-18-2018 at 03:14 AM.
    Persona 3/5/4

Super Freak

Feedback
    28 (100%)
    I have waited to play this game for a long time but couldn't since I didn't have a Dreamcast. I will pick this up for sure.