Comic book value

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ViperSRT

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm looking to sell a bunch of amazing spiderman comics I have and was wondering what the best way to determine their value is? They aren't old comics. They are from about a year ago. I've got like 50 of them. I'm sure i can't sell them for a ton, but I'd like to get the best price.

thanks,

Mike

Hey all,

I'm looking to sell a bunch of amazing spiderman comics I have and was wondering what the best way to determine their value is? They aren't old comics. They are from about a year ago. I've got like 50 of them. I'm sure i can't sell them for a ton, but I'd like to get the best price.

thanks,

Mike

Well you can buy an over street price guide or use sites like Stashmycomics.com or others that have pricing available.

Anything beyond the bronze age has almost little to no value. Alternate covers, signed editions, etc from the modern age will only turn a profit for a very short period and then lose steam once the next hot item comes along (anyone remember the death of Superman?). Even with the older books, condition is key. The difference between a 9.4 NM and 9.6 NM+ is substantial.

Pick up a copy of the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide

001_big.jpg

There's a lot of good, useful information on pricing & grading. :lecture

Mike,

If you're looking for the answer to how much the comics are worth, i suggest you consult the WHEEL OF FISH
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KezvwARhBIc"]UHF - Wheel Of Fish - YouTube[/ame]

In my experience if you're taking about books in the last 5 years, you would be extremely lucky to get cover price. Ive had friends sell newer collections off to comic shops and online retailers and in some case these folks are taking a loss, a buck an issue or less.

Sadly comics just aren't what they were back when, in those days people didnt see them as investments and they just read and trashed them in most cases. These days they saturate the presses with every issue and there's rarely a market for them.

I'd be surprised if someone gave you much more than about $30 for the 50 issues, regardless that the cover price is probably $4 each.

I probably have 5,000 comics from the 70s, 80s and 90s that I wasted tons of cash on growing up.
My learning experience from all of that is I now wait for TPBs of stories I like and I pass on single issues.

Hey Corrose, was wondering how do you decide what to read/where do you get info on recent good. TPB's. I am slowly leaning this way as storage, $ and crappy stories are getting me tired of the weekly comic stop. Thanks!

Yeah and wasted money on all those stoopid Sketch cover variants and 1/25 cover variants. Biggest rip off evah!!!! Donate them to a childrens hospital or library.

what issues do you have in the lot of 50? IF they are early spidermans, like the 60's, theyre worth good money. If 70's decent money and anything later is not worth much.

Hey Corrose, was wondering how do you decide what to read/where do you get info on recent good. TPB's. I am slowly leaning this way as storage, $ and crappy stories are getting me tired of the weekly comic stop. Thanks!

Check out tfaw.com, they have some good deals several times a year and each issue has a brief synopsis. Tons of nick & dent items that are cheap and good reads.

I'm a Marvel fan mainly, not DC so much.
I got out of comics in the late 90s because I got so sick of the variant covers, crossovers forcing you to read new titles, hologram covers, polybagged issues, the gimmicks and crossovers, thats when I stopped collecting single issues.

Since Im so invested in the characters what I do is I just buy TPB's of the MAJOR Marvel stories and crossovers every year. It's enough to kinda keep me updated with whats going on in the Marvel Universe, plus I find the re-read value is higher on these stories rather than single issues where the stories aren't always exciting.

As far as where I keep an eye on whats happening, you can grab those "Previews" books at comic shops, they used to be free, not sure about now and they give you sneak peaks about whats coming up Marvel crossover wise. Seems like marvel does about 2 major crossovers a year. I think of it as "skimming" the Marvel lore every year, rather than reading it in its entirety.

If you are a Marvel Fan as a whole, not just a specific character I might recommend:

- Civil War
- Infinity Gauntlet
- The Seige
- The Illuminati
- Planet Hulk
- World War Hulk
- House of M
- Secret Wars (the original)

I also never gave a rats a** about Thor comics until I read the new-er series that came out awhile ago that was done by Straczynski and Copiel. I own that run on TPB also, FANTASTIC stuff.

You mentioned Spider-Man specifically I think.
He was my favorite title to read when I was really into it. If you haven't already, these are some of my favorite TPB stories:

- Kraven's Last Hunt (Ive read this one hundreds of times!)
- Spider-Man: One More Day (YES I LIKED THIS STORY!!)- Acts of Vengeance

Hope some of this helps!

Thanks for the info Corrose and Randy S., will look to do both suggestions.

I have read most of your list (also more Marvel guy vs. DC).

I would also recommend if you haven't read:

Wheldon's run on Astonishing X-Men
Old Man Logan
First 6 issues of Bendis' New Avengers
First 50 issues or so of Ultimate Spider-Man
Brubaker's run (still going) on Captain America (most consistnat good book)

Lately (for last 5-6 months), I think comics I have been reading (except for Cap) have been fairly poor. I used to look forward to Wed thinking that "good this one is coming out this week". Haven't looked forward to anything lately and gets depressing dropping 30$ on comics that are not all that good.

Yea, that Thor run great (also was not a Thor fan before), but book went South once JMS left.

There are a few online comic book shops that will buy your books.
I believe mycomicbookshop.com or Lone Star Comics will buy...may be the same place.

I remember someone suggesting that you can taking them to your local library and they might take them.

Like someone said, modern comics (even ones from the 70's) just don't command the prices you might expect. They have to be extremely rare or hard-to-find.

Selling them on eBay is close to worthless and a waste of time in my experience. Individual issues (unless they are a rare #1, some type of variant, or a first appearance) just don't sell well and often whole sets do not sell well either. I actually had several buyers end up paying more for shipping than they did for the actual comics!

The most I got was around $150 for the complete Dreamwave "Transformers: More than meets the Eyes" guidebooks. I got it because they were hard to find, Dreamwave was out of business, and the "80's comeback" was still rolling hard. That set barely commands $20 on eBay now.

oh i misread your post. if they are from a year ago they aint worth selling yet. or just try at a yard sale, but any more than 2 bux each is asking a lot.

Back