• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Collector Freaks and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

If a deal is too good to be true - do not deal!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklord Dave

Super Freak
Reaction score
I've made it so this forum is now visible to everyone. If someone PMs you and offers you something you are looking for - do your research!!!!!

We have had a number of people scammed by these offers from people with no posts who are just here to scam! Do not buy from someone with no posts or a very recent join date who PMs you out of the blue with just the item you are looking for. And if you do decide to deal with them - don't pay with "gift."

New members can't post "for sale" threads until they've been here 14 days and have 15 prior posts unless they are a Supporting Member. There's a reason for this. It doesn't offer a lot of protection, but if someone has spent the time on the forum then hopefully they aren't just here to scam people.

The forum has no responsibility for any trades initiated on this forum yet people still want the forum to address trade issues. We will ban anyone that is caught scamming another member - but this protects other members, not the one that got scammed.

It seems some members have chosen to purchase items or trade with new members who don't meet this criteria. THIS IS NOT RECOMMENDED. I can't tell you how much this is NOT recommended - I GUARANTEE YOU THAT YOU WILL BE RIPPED OFF. DON'T DO IT.

If someone with a couple of posts PM's you an offer too good to be true - DON'T BELIEVE IT. Even if it seems equitable - DON'T DO IT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Use caution when buying or trading!!!!!!!!

Hey friends and freaks..Everything Dave is saying here is the truth..It just happen to me,I let my guard down and trusted a new member to this site..I made a trade with him and it cost me my Hot Toys Guardian Predator..And it really sucks...Always keep your Guard up.

This is exactly why I no longer trade...only buy and I always pay with a credit card through PayPal. That way if PayPal can't get my money back, the credit card company will.

Yes, be careful with new members. Especially those who are from overseas. I was PM'd by someone with only 3 posts and said they had a Sideshow Venom that they would sell me for $500 free shipping via ship from EU. Here's the kicker, they said it would take 4-6 weeks until I get it. Paypal protection only lasts 45 days. Pretty sketchy. He never responded after I mentioned this to him.

My perspective is--if you're dealing with a new guy, or just a guy with limited feedback on a trade, make them ship first and wait until you get the item in hand. If they don't capitulate, then don't do the deal, no matter how good it seems. If you're an established buyer/seller/trader, then I figure you've got a right to make the other guy prove himself.

Sending money to those guys is just asking for problems.

Hey friends and freaks..Everything Dave is saying here is the truth..It just happen to me,I let my guard down and trusted a new member to this site..I made a trade with him and it cost me my Hot Toys Guardian Predator..And it really sucks...Always keep your Guard up.
Sorry to hear that man, it's these horror stories that has kept me from trading with anyone. In the event that I were to do a trade it would only be with an established member of the Pantheon, and even then I'd try to have us both ship to a moderator who can be the middle man :lol
This is exactly why I no longer trade...only buy and I always pay with a credit card through PayPal. That way if PayPal can't get my money back, the credit card company will.
:exactly::exactly::exactly:

could we have one or two of the admins serve as a 3rd party during trading sessions?

I suppose if someone wanted to volunteer - though if the item got lost or damaged in transit - I doubt a middle person would want to get involved as they could become liable.

Also shipping would be increased to send it to a third party and then have then reship it to the appropriate person. I know I wouldn't want to do it as I already hate shipping out the things that I sell.

Yeah, it's a "buyer/trader beware" type situation, the way I see it. If you want to get involved with a trade or sale with a stranger on the internet, that's your call and the people who decide to get involved will have to work things out one way or the other. If you are concerned about certain levels of protection, you might consider doing your transactions through eBay instead of these boards.

if its to good to be true then it usually is. but if you insist on doing the transaction anyway, then use paypal non gift . if you still end up getting beat then you only have yourself to blame for ignoring DLD.

I suppose if someone wanted to volunteer - though if the item got lost or damaged in transit - I doubt a middle person would want to get involved as they could become liable.

Also shipping would be increased to send it to a third party and then have then reship it to the appropriate person. I know I wouldn't want to do it as I already hate shipping out the things that I sell.

that's why you get tracking numbers going both ways in a trade and make sure everything is insured. You would think most of the comments in this thread would be common sense stuff. If the guy is a complete newbie, make him send the item first before you send anything.

As a moderator I would have no interest in acting as 3rd party shipping depot for trades :lol

I can't imagine anyone would want to dedicate the time and effort involved for something like this, not to mention open themselves up to liability issues if something goes wrong.

I have been on the board for over 5 years and had hundreds of transactions, but only once have I traded with another member. And that was someone I'd known on the board for years up to that point and we both agreed on terms including insurance, tracking etc.

Hey Guys: I wanted to let everyone beware of this New Member (maxwellsmart) He had this listing for sale below a few days ago,and I just jumped on it, without thinking. I thought it was a great deal on the Predalien. I ended up bringing him down to $500 shipped after a few PM's, He kept in contact with me that day, and even provided a cell # and e-mail that he no longer answers now. It's been (5) days now with no answer from him, so I figured he's not going to get the best of me. So I did a R10 code through my bank this morning and made everything right. They gave the code to Paypal which Paypal re-inversed me, and took the money back out of his acct. no questions asked.(He's is Banned now, I just hope no one else got burned by him to get him Banned) So Big Darklord Dave is Totally right::********BEWARE********

"Hey guys i am selling my sideshow tremors and predalien maquette sadly because i am moving. The predalien (not the concept one) has box and is in mint condition. I would like $550 shipped for him and the tremors maquette which has no box but in mint condition i would like $450 shipped within the usa. Please pm me if interested and i will send pics."

Learn through others Mistakes and be Careful:::::::::::::::

Last edited:

that's why you get tracking numbers going both ways in a trade and make sure everything is insured. You would think most of the comments in this thread would be common sense stuff. If the guy is a complete newbie, make him send the item first before you send anything.

Yes, getting tracking numbers AND insurance is common sense. But if one person gets an item that is damaged and the original trader says when he packed it, it was fine...the middle man could become liable even though they were just passing a package along. I don't know of anyone that would want to take on the role of middle man.

Only do trades with people you know - and if you choose to trade with a new member or with someone you don't know...then you have to be prepared for the possibility of being scammed.

Never use middle men...that's just asking for trouble.

What are people's thoughts on selling to new members who have literally just joined and maybe don't even have any posts yet?

I would say that's safer as you are getting your money before you ship. With anyone I always insure the item and take photos while I pack it to prove it wasn't damaged before I shipped it.

Back