Nuke the fridge not so dumb afterall!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
found one for $45 on amazon....[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Combustible-Detector-Natural-Methane-Propane/dp/B0017Z5DZO"]Amazon.com: Safety Siren Combustible Gas Detector for Natural Gas (Methane) and Propane: Home Improvement[/ame]

I always thought the main problem was the placement of the sequence.

Something that massive should have been the end of a film ...something to top anything done before in an Indy film.

Instead it opened the movie, making sure nothing could live up by comparison. ....oooh the room spun and things fell down. Brilliant.

Not only that but it made the opening credit sequence we'd all become familiar with feel non-existant. It felt like after about 20 minutes we were just full steam into this movie without any opening sequence and all the action that quick followed by so much nothing backed up by terrible acting killed any ability to rewatch it. There is no pacing, its just such a horrible movie in so many ways, I really can't stop hating it.

Not only that but it made the opening credit sequence we'd all become familiar with feel non-existant. It felt like after about 20 minutes we were just full steam into this movie without any opening sequence and all the action that quick followed by so much nothing backed up by terrible acting killed any ability to rewatch it. There is no pacing, its just such a horrible movie in so many ways, I really can't stop hating it.

:lecture:lecture:lecture

Really Hate this film also. It's a just a BAD movie. The only thing that saves it at all is the fact that it's an Indy film. Now some would say the only reason I hate it so much is because it's an Indy film. Well thats a load of crud. Indy film or not there is no getting by what a poor film this is.

In fact I really only like the opening of this film. I even liked the nuke and the fridge. Never had a problem with that. I liked seeing Indy looking up at the Nuke after it had gone off. I thought it was a great way to show that Indy was in a new age. Sure the action at area 51 was stiff and the acting wa still not the best but I was willing to give it all a pass since Ford is 60+ yrs old. But all the Bad sit com stuff to follow and even worse and over the top action scenes really ruined the film.

I always found it funny that everyone complained about the nuke/fridge scene for how unrealistic or stupid it was. I find the Marion driving over the cliff to be caught by a tree branch to lower them softly into the river to be much MUCH worse. I mean it was even luck that helped them. She ment to do it. Awful just AWFUL!!!!!!!

WOW!!! Thats a crazy story.

:rotfl I love anything Indy! :rotfl

I'll say this though...the scene with Mutt swinging through the trees with monkeys really turned me off... :rotfl

:whip

That's the ONLY scene that turns me off. But I love the fridge scene!

Loved the whole Area 51,nuked fridge bit.
But the rest was garbage.

I realized later that Indy still should've died in the fridge do to the locking one way door that those old fridges used to have.
Used to occasionally hear about kids playing hide and seek and dying in discarded fridges in lots and yards.
(coulda shot the lock off I guess....:dunno )

Indy, not the kids.:monkey1

Last edited:
Too bad he didnt die in the fridge, it would have saved me 2 hours.

What an awful movie. I tried watching it again and just cringe at so many of the scenes...

I actually liked the Area 51 sequence (minus the fridge).. the campus chase wasn't too bad.. (minus Tom Hanks' kid asking the dumba$$ question).. and I liked the Nazca sequences... then it took a nosedive completely... such a missed opportunity

Nuke the fridge would've been better if Indy was still young. That way the radiation could've made him sterile and Mutt Williams never happened.

Last edited:
I actually liked the Area 51 sequence (minus the fridge).. the campus chase wasn't too bad.. (minus Tom Hanks' kid asking the dumba$$ question).. and I liked the Nazca sequences... then it took a nosedive completely... such a missed opportunity

I will agree that the opening sequence would have been saved without that atrocious, horrendous interaction between Spalko and Indy, which was totally the wrong kind of awkward and set a horrible tone. The acting early on is just so stiff amogst everyone, all the interaction feels forced. But ending with the rocket sled would have been far cooler then the nuke. And would have felt a little more like the opening credits we all knew. It also would make more sense if it cut from there right to the college, otherwise it doesn't make sense that Indy is suprised the FBI has ransacked his office, he should have been expecting it, he was just with them in their custody.

Campus is ok, but then afterwards I struggle not to fall asleep. I honestly can't say I've ever fallen asleep while watching another DVD that I put on with the intention of watching all the way through. Thats just sad.

If they had merely had Indy hide in the fridge, moved the fridge back half a mile, and had him use his belt to keep it from latching shut, it could have worked. Having it flung hundreds of yards through the air should have turned Indy into Senior Citizen Pate'.

Keeping Marion's identity and Mutt's parentage a secret was stupid, as everyone knew who they were when they walked into the film.

No one cared about Oxley. Once they lost the chance to use Marcus, they should have made it Marion who was afflicted by the skull, because we already give a damn about her. This would have eliminated a character, and given them more time to flesh out the rest of the supporting cast.

The story was overly complicated. Think back to Raiders. There is basically one scene of exposition, back when Indy first gets the assignment. This movie has (overlong) moments of exposition every ten minutes.

The worst part of the film was hearing Indy reminisce about his WWII adventures, because THOSE were the stories I would have loved to see.

It's really the most disappointing movie I have ever seen on so any levels. This makes Ghostbusters 2 look like an Oscar winner..

If they had merely had Indy hide in the fridge, moved the fridge back half a mile, and had him use his belt to keep it from latching shut, it could have worked. Having it flung hundreds of yards through the air should have turned Indy into Senior Citizen Pate'.

To say nothing of being instantly cooked in the heat wave that heralds the shock wave. He would have boiled to death in there.

It's one of the most lame arsed ideas I've ever seen in flick. Really stupid. :slap

All in all It's not a terrible movie, but when I view it again on TV I can't help but think when you see the tantalizing view of the arc of the covenant that yep, thats just acting as a reminder of past glories and how this affair just doesn't live up to whats gone before.

Loved the whole Area 51,nuked fridge bit.
But the rest was garbage.

I realized later that Indy still should've died in the fridge do to the locking one way door that those old fridges used to have.
Used to occasionally hear about kids playing hide and seek and dying in discarded fridges in lots and yards.
(coulda shot the lock off I guess....:dunno )

Indy, not the kids.:monkey1

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Jeb Stuart ( Die Hard, The Fugitive) wrote that sequence. He was commisioned to write the first draft by George, Harrison and Steven and spent over a year dealing with each one of their notes to put something together for them.

The result was "Saucer Men from Mars".

Back