Tim Hildebrandt passes away

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batty

Nexus 6
Reaction score
Tim, along with his brother Greg, were probably two of the most famous SW and LOTR artists ever.

From Dynamic Forces:

Tim Hildebrandt has passed away. And, with him, so has an era.

Tim, 67, died today from complications due to diabetes. He is survived by his mother Germaine, twin brother Greg, sister Janie, wife Rita, son Charles, nieces Mary and Laura, and nephew Gregory.

Tim was an otherworldly artist. For 47 years, his captivating work fostered the dreams and fantasies of millions of fans, young and old.

Best known as part of the Brothers Hildebrandt team, Tim’s career transported him to—and through—many worlds. Technically speaking, Tim and Greg worked side by side. But their work together on such masterpieces as the original Star Wars poster and 70’s J.R.R. Tolkien
calendars proved that their individual talents could coalesce seamlessly into one.

Tim was a wonderful man with a great sense of humor. While he loved and appreciated all forms of art, he had a particular passion for animation and illustration.

While he will be greatly missed by all of us who love him, we take comfort knowing that he will live on in the art that he created.

Anyone wishing to express condolences to Greg Hildebrandt can send them to:

The Spiderwebart Gallery,
5 Waterloo Rd.
Hopatcong, NJ 07843

Our hearts and prayers go out to The Hildebrandt Family and Friends. We'll miss you Tim.

With his brother they have created many of the best paintings I have ever seen....I loved their work that they used to do for Marvel....Very sad to hear that he has passed.....Like occulum said, " a true legend"

I was always of fan of their work. Them, with Ted Nasmith, John Howe, etc created some of the best art out of The Lord of the Rings. Truly in every sense a legend. Rest in peace.

That is sad. My introduction to fantasy was my older brothers LOTR calenders (which I still have) with the Hildebrandt illustrations in them. When I look back at my earliest childhood memories they were filled with star wars toys, my brothers D&D stuff, and those paintings... I always considered them to be the Norman Rockwell of fantasy.

RIP Tim.
IH_01.jpg

Yes, I agree with you totally. They actually did a lot of work on their own as solo artists.

Truly sad. I had their Tolkien Calendars on my wall along with that original Star Wars poster when I was a kid, and I've remained a fan of both Greg and Tim ever since.

My heart goes out to Greg and the rest of Tim's family!

It's sad to see a person like him go away this way, most probably painfully since it's diabetes.

I admired his work. Condolences to his family.

Back