My First Attempt at building a Lit Lightsaber (6 pics)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duckgoo

Super Freak
Reaction score
After seeing a lot of cool pics on folks making their own lit lightsabers, I decided to try to build one too.

THis is my first attempt and I am not very satisfied with it. The hilt is from Hasbro, I didn't want to destroy the SS or Medicom ones. The light source is from EL wire. The figure is a Medicom Darth Vader.

THERE IS NO PHOTOSHOPPING IN THESE PICS!!

darth1.jpg

darth2.jpg

darth3.jpg

darth4.jpg

darth5.jpg

darth6.jpg

As you guys can see, there is no reason why Sideshow can't produce their own line of light-up sabers. I would definitely purchase them if they were offered as separate accessories like the probe droids.

Duckgoo, it looks great. Did you use a clear endcap on the tip? Clear endcaps are great for equal brightness at the tip of the blade. Are you using high brightness or regular EL wire?

Yeah, I guess it would be nicer if it were brighter, but it still looks cool!
I might have to try this one day...
Anakin's saber is huge, that should make it easier to work with.

I have only been able to make the blades since I don't own any Hasbro hilts to play around with :(

Off-topic but I like your username.

Hey everyone! It's ....... Duckgoo!

I used regular EL wire which I feel was not bright enough. I also couldn't figure out how to tip the saber. Where do I get these endcaps? Any links or pics?

Also, the wire between the hilt and the power box is very short. I can't move the sword arm without exposing the power box. The box is clipped into the back of the stand and hidden by Vader's robes.

I will try again with Cathode tubes in a few days, which I hope will yield better results.

Hmm, well my battery packs have an 18" cord with a connector on the end. The connector attaches to another wire that is soldered to the EL wire. This wire can be any length desired. I'm still practicing my soldering techniques and wire stripping. EL wire can be quite finnicky! But if you are good with it, you can do almost any design necessary. I also have some coin battery packs that can be fitted under the figure's clothing.

Other than finding suitable hilts, my biggest dilemma is finding proper plastic sleeving that can support the EL wire to hold it stiff. I purchased some acrylic tubes from a plastics store, but the walls of the tubes are still a bit too thick at 1/16". Not sure if anything exists with a thinner size. Duckgoo, what are you using for your outer sleeves on the EL wire?

QQB said:
look cool!! good job!!
image1046.jpg
image1047.jpg

These pics are showing cold cathode tubes, right? That's why they are so bright.

Justinluck - The plastic sleeves I got have pretty thin walls, but a little too wide, the tube itself. I am still working on finding thinner ones.

hey justin luck,

hurricane revealed what he uses for the tubes to hold the wire......the tube from a plastic spray bottle.

what are these "end caps"?

I am interested in finding out how to build a lighted saber for My sith Anakin. Anyone know where to find out? I have never heard of Cathode tubes and would have no idea where to purchase some.

I can't believe a company still hasn't capitalized this. There is definitely demand for it. I, however, got stuck at finding polycarbonate tubing that was thin enough to hold the EL wire and fit on the saber hilt.

I have tested both cold cathode and EL wire. While cold cathode is brighter, I have found that the tubes are far too fragile to be practical. Besides, in the movies, the sabers didn't glow much on the actors anyway (for obvious special effects reasons).

The company I previously ordered EL wire from has gone out of business. But I came across this store that might have some of the things we need:

https://www.coolight.com/category-s/56.htm

https://www.coolight.com/product-p/ib8.htm

https://www.coolight.com/category-s/42.htm

The ultimate challenge will be finding suitable tubing to hold the wire straight and whether we want to risk drilling through our original saber hilts or buying some recasts from some of the talents on this board. I think we should all put our heads together to figure out the best way to make these things so we can all enjoy them. What do you guys say?

Last edited:
Heck yeah, I'm in. I have all the parts for a cathode saber but have been afraid to cut into my original lightsaber:(

Back