Prop Diecast GREEN LANTERN Movie Rings at TRU

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishJedi

Super Freak
Reaction score
Went to my local Toys R Us today with the kids. They each picked up the $7 Green Lantern mask with glowing power ring. But low and behold what they also had:

photo22h.jpg

photo3w.jpg

photo1sus.jpg

An Adult-sized DIECAST metal ring! And here's the kicker... it's a mere $10!! Yes, that is TEN BUCKS. :yess:

It's probably not the most accurate replica (DC Direct's will surely be better)... but I honestly can't think of a better collectible for $10. Kudos Mattel! :rock

It's a TRU exclusive and comes in the following plastic pack (may be in box near the register or hanging on pegs in the action figure aisle):

DSC_0141.jpg

(Yes, the keychain is easily removable). :hi5:

It's probably not the most accurate replica (DC Direct's will surely be better)... but I honestly can't think of a better collectible for $10. Kudos Mattel! :rock

I wouldn't be too sure. The DCD ring doesn't look like it'll be much different then this. I still haven't seen a solicit for an official ring that comes close to what the actual film ring will look like and this is $35 cheaper.

The DCD replica will be a Men's 13. The one that comes with the Lantern will be a Men's 14. I've read that this one is close to a Men's 11.

Ironically Reynolds wore a 10.5 throughout filming.

Its the same ring that came with the TRU early bird figure. I bought that set up, and then got 2 single rings from TRU. So one stays with the collectible, other is worn, and third stays in the bag as backup.

Really pretty neat, but it just seems a tad dark, kinda wish it was the color of the cheapo kid movie lantern rings.

Does it light up?

No. The light-up ones are the cheapie kids ones (that come with the kids size domino mask) and the DC Direct one that comes with the Lantern will light up too, I believe.

Still.. for 10 bucks you cannot beat this. IMHO, it looks and feels just as nice as some of the custom ones people pay big bucks for.

That's a pretty good score... gotta say though the leopard print silver section is pretty tacky looking :lol

photo3w.jpg

It's not quite as leapordy looking in person, actually. And it's more brass/gold than silver. I believe the film ring has that same odd pattern:

ring.PNG

Like I said, this TRU/Mattel ring isn't perfect or 100% accurate. But it's pretty good quality and you absolutely cannot do better for 10 bucks.

No. The light-up ones are the cheapie kids ones (that come with the kids size domino mask) and the DC Direct one that comes with the Lantern will light up too, I believe.

Still.. for 10 bucks you cannot beat this. IMHO, it looks and feels just as nice as some of the custom ones people pay big bucks for.

Bet you're looking forward to making a giant blender and mixing drinks for everybody at the office. :lol

Pretty damn good score for chump change! :rock:rock:rock

it looks and feels just as nice as some of the custom ones people pay big bucks for.

:lol no it doesn't. I went out and nabbed one and for $10 you can't beat it. I really is a fairly impressive piece for so cheap especially considering how the DCD piece will look similar for more than twice the price but the "leopard" piece isn't supposed to be leopard but textured like stone.

RingComparisons021.jpg

On the customs, as you can see above the texturing is better on the sterling silver band but the coloring is closer on the stainless steel. In reality, this would need a "blackened" band in order to match the prop rings from the film. A couple of the propmakers from The RPF actually made the rings for the film and were confirming the bits and pieces over there.

Comparison shots of the TRU ring to a custom ring:

IMG_2242_1.jpg

That being said it is much better than the celebrity ring:

Green-Lantern-power-ring-movie-2.jpg

My TRU had two rings left when I got there. I asked if more were coming in and they told me they had no clue...

Back