Zombie to direct Halloween 9!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

occulum

ExeKutioner
Reaction score
I think this will be a good thing. Nice shot in the arm for the series.

NEW YORK, NEW YORK (June 4, 2006) – Dimension Films is proud to announce that they will make a new “Halloween” movie with Rob Zombie (The Devil's Rejects, House of 1000 Corpses) writing, directing and serving as a producer. Malek Akkad of Trancas International Films (Halloween H20: 20 Years Later) will produce the feature along with Andy Gould of Vision Entertainment Group (The Devil's Rejects, House of 1000 Corpses). Zombie will also serve as music supervisor on the film. Miramax Films will co-finance the development with Dimension Films. The announcement was made today by The Weinstein Company co-chairman, Bob Weinstein.

Zombie's vision of this film is an entirely new take on the legend and will satisfy fans of the classic "Halloween" legacy while beginning a new chapter in the Michael Myers saga. This new movie will not only appeal to horror fans, but to a wider movie-going audience as well. It will not be a copycat of any prior films in the "Halloween" franchise. The film is set for an October 2007 theatrical release.

Bob Weinstein stated, "Rob Zombie is a gifted musician and performer as well as a talented filmmaker. His vision for this new 'Halloween' is spectacular and I am thrilled to be collaborating with him and to work closely with Malek Akkad to continue the legacy built by his father, the late Moustapha Akkad."

Zombie said, "I have been a huge, huge fan of John Carpenter's original film since its release. So when Bob Weinstein approached me about this, I jumped at the chance to join forces with Dimension Films on this amazing project."

The "Halloween" story began with the 1978 release of "John Carpenter's Halloween," executive produced by the late Moustapha Akkad, founder of Trancas International Films and became the highest grossing independent film of the time. Moustapha Akkad's son, Malek, is now taking some of the reigns on this new "Halloween" project to continue the outstanding work begun by his father. Malek Akkad stated, "Trancas is very excited to be working with Rob Zombie and producing another 'Halloween' with Bob Weinstein and Dimension, the home of the franchise for the last three installments. It will be a fitting and worthy tribute to my late father."

"I am thrilled to be working again with Rob and with Dimension Films on such an iconic project that will reinvigorate 'Halloween' and Michael Myers in a truly terrifying new way," stated Andy Gould, Rob Zombie's long time manager and producer of Zombie's two previous films.

Very interesting....I really enjoyed DR so this could turn our to bet pretty cool!

Didn't care for House of 1000 Corpses, but I thought Devil's Rejects was a well done film. Anything will be an improvement after the abysmal Halloween 8. When Michael Myers is taken down by Busta Rhymes, there's nowhere else to go but up.

:monkey4 I'll be open minded about this, but my gut feeling is that this is going to end badly.

Don't get me wrong, I like Zombie's work. House of 1000 Corspes was a fun Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake and I enjoyed Devil's Rejects very much.

However, I don't know if his style is right for the Halloween series. Halloween should be about subtlety and eerie tension. Zombie seems too "in your face" for this series.

I wonder if he'll continue the "zombie Michael" thing started by Resurrection or if he'll just do a whole new thing, continuity be damned.

Halloween is THE franchise to me, so I feel like I have to protect it like a child.

I got kind of mixed feelings on this.:confused:

Zombie is a good choice for H9 but I'd rather he make another album than direct a movie. I just prefer his music career over his film career.

I liked both of Zombies movies. He should do a good job with Halloween. I know Zombie is a huge horror movie fan. If I'm not mistaken I think he was mentioned in one of the Sideshow Catalogs commenting on some of the horror figures.

If he can pull off more of the 'I remember you' tension from H1K I'll be very pleased.

I think he needs to reel in his need for tits and ass in almost every shot though.

Bonehead15 said:
I got kind of mixed feelings on this.:confused:

Zombie is a good choice for H9 but I'd rather he make another album than direct a movie. I just prefer his music career over his film career.
He does have a new album out. It's called Educated Horses. It doesn't look to me like he's leaving his music career behind for one solely as a director.
I like what Rob did on Devil's Rejects, not so sure that'll fit in with Michael Myers, but I'm interested to see the results. At the least we might get a new 12" Michael Myers from this.

screamingmetal said:
He does have a new album out. It's called Educated Horses. It doesn't look to me like he's leaving his music career behind for one solely as a director.

Yeah I know, in fact I saw him in concert last month. :rock

My point is that Zombie said last year that he wanted to really concentrate on his music career for the moment. Zombie is notorius for SUPER LONG hiatuses inbetween albums which sucks. Also, all of his albums are less than 40 minutes long. :rolleyes: That's more like an EP than an album to me.

Bonehead15 said:
Yeah I know, in fact I saw him in concert last month. :rock

My point is that Zombie said last year that he wanted to really concentrate on his music career for the moment. Zombie is notorius for SUPER LONG hiatuses inbetween albums which sucks. Also, all of his albums are less than 40 minutes long. :rolleyes: That's more like an EP than an album to me.
Ah, so you do have it.
Didn't know he said that, but maybe Halloween 9 came up and he couldn't turn down the offer. I was going to pick up his new album today, but I needed that new Tool album more. I heard one of his new songs on the radio while I was on the way home, definitely made me want to turn back and get that album. It'll have to wait for the time being.
Yeah, his albums are too short, Tool's new one is anything but short (75 min.) :rock

House of 1K Corpses sucked nuts, but Devils Rejects of one of the best movies last year. Sounds interesting.

yeah 1000 corpses was pure garbage, DR was much better. i still dont think he is the right choice for Halloween 9...there are so many other new director's out there that could do the job. of course rob zombie's name as director would generate some buzz and publicity on it.

I agree, he puts a strange, yet wonderful twist on things..........Hopefully this is good...............time will tell.............

<sigh>

PLEASE just stop the series. I loved 1 and 2 but that was about it.

4 was pretty good too. Everything after 5 was just garbage.

Gruson said:
<sigh>

PLEASE just stop the series. I loved 1 and 2 but that was about it.

4 was pretty good too. Everything after 5 was just garbage.
The series just doesn't feel right without Dr. Loomis, it's like Moby Dick without Ahab.

Back