Looks like Medicom got the Gantz license

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monger

Super Freak
Reaction score
I will be weeping rather hard tonight. For so long I was hoping Hot Toys would get the license. I know Hot Toys would have done it amazing and also had the Gantz bike as something to buy, which would have been incredible.

Instead, we will get lousy rubber suits, poor articulation, no accessories, and simplistic sculpts. We will get this all for the low price of twice that Hot Toys would have charged.

Gantz is a manga thing yeh? Kinda makes sense that Medicom would pick this up, but yeh, as soon as they get onto a license you know it's going to come with everything that Medicom is well known for.

Look it up. It's a famous manga series about random adults and teenagers who get transported by this thing that basically supplies them with weapons and armor so that they can go fight aliens. It's pure sex and violence but it's also quite awesome because of how dynamic it is. The character wear these black tight suits and use various guns and swords along with things like robot suits and these vehicles. Basically, it perfectly lends itself to a full scale 1/6 figure lineup as there are a lot of very recognizable characters that all wear similar outfits.

Medicom better at least do a full Jojo styled lineup. Had Hot Toys gotten it, they probably would have done a single release and then gave up. either way, I'm pissed.

Here's a few examples of what it's like.

People in the suit fighting some random alien:

rvakiu.jpg

Here's what the vehicle looks like. It's pretty original:

mbri8n.jpg

Here's a rather accurate version of one of the mech suits:

313n3nr.jpg

And then the aliens themselves tend to look really awesome. In part because of all these random vehicles and suits and weapons and because a good deal of the cast has alternate outfits they wear outside of fighting or on top of their suits, it really is perfect for Hot Toys.

And just to give an example of how ridiculous the series can be, there is a part where a giant monster is formed solely out of naked bodies of women. One of the characters climbs the monster so that he can pleasure himself with the monster's "mouth." His legs then get blown off. It's pretty weird sometimes.

Gantz is a manga thing yeh? Kinda makes sense that Medicom would pick this up, but yeh, as soon as they get onto a license you know it's going to come with everything that Medicom is well known for.

Well considering that Hot Toys has snagged some real big name series like 20th Century Boys and Golgo 13, I would have thought that Gantz was something they were going to go with soon. Like I keep saying, it is just such a perfect license for Hot Toys. It's terrible for Medicom though.

And just to give an example of how ridiculous the series can be, there is a part where a giant monster is formed solely out of naked bodies of women. One of the characters climbs the monster so that he can pleasure himself with the monster's "mouth." His legs then get blown off. It's pretty weird sometimes.

I don't care how much it cost, I would by one of these in 1/6.

The Kurono by Medicom looks pretty solid in person. And if the production piece is as good as Recent Kamen Rider releases then I think it will be a good release.

I was half expecting for HT to pick up Gantz Live action movie version but HT seems to be lost as far as Japanese centric licenses go. Both Golgo 13 and 2oth Century Boys are very niche licenses when it comes to figures and I think they just performed so so. You can find Golgo 13 for 8000yen in Japan pretty regualrly and Tomodachi I've seen sell for below retail locally. Also Both of HT's recent Japan Centric Live Action Licenses Kamui and Goemon didn't sell too well (altho they are incredible figures) I think HT does great with Hollywood licenses but they just can't seem to get their hands on a Hot Japan Centric License, even though they obviously want to capture the Japan market.

I think even if HT did do Gantz though it will only be maybe 2-3 figures, I really doubt they would have done the Gantz bike as awesome as that would be. Those Super Big Ticket items HT only seem to do for the really big Hollywood movies.

Do you think Medicom would even be willing to do a 1/6 scale of the mech suit or the vehicle? Part of the reason why I wanted Hot Toys would be for those two things.

Since they did Kurono first, they better do Reika next and have her also come with the coat she wears on top.

Wow, wasn't expecting this. That actually looks pretty damned cool.

The body is going to be lack luster, but it looks amazing. They did an excellent job on the weapons though the face looks weird.

Back