The DC sixth scale license...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
We all know (or we should) that Mattel's current DC license is up in 2012. I suspect, although I don't have official confirmation, that the reason we don't see any high end 12" product sold direct to the US market is because Mattel has that tied up as part of their agreement with WB. With the expiration of the license however, even if Mattel gets it renewed for the smaller figures, I think there's potential for the 12" scale to be broken out - if it isn't, someone should certainly be thinking about it.

If that is possible, what would you like to see? Hot Toys get the license? Medicom? Sideshow? or some combination of Sideshow and Hot Toys as a joint venture?

Clearly, Hot Toys could bring their A game and give us some amazing figures, and WB is already working with them in overseas markets. But I'm not sure that they can produce the breadth and depth of characters at the $150 or more price point that I think WB would want. Same for Medicom. If Sideshow could produce them in the $80 range, I think WB would be more interested, but buyers will want them to up their game, especially in the area of human head sculpts. People are going to want HT quality even at the lower price point, because we've gotten spoiled...so what do you think?

I doubt it would be Sideshow. They haven't made 12" Marvel for the same reason. They would need a bunch of new muscle bodies and working with spandex materials. And they've said they haven't done Marvel 12" figures for those reason so its unlikely they would for DC, if they could even wrestle the license from Mattel/DCD.

And so far HT seems to have no interests in comic book figures, or else I'm sure they would have been all over Marvel by now. Best chance at HT comic looking figures would be figures from Arkham Asylum/City I would think.

I didn't specifically say anything about comic book figures - Mattel has the license for movies as well all tied up. I'd like to see comic book figures, but I think movie based ones would be more likely to start, since I think WB sees the wider appeal that they have.

WB and Mattel have already been poking around with that market with Matty Collector, with their Reeves and Luthor. They're already charging almost $70, and not getting the quality for it. I think that's a good indicator that the WB thinks there's potential, but that Mattel can't give them what they are looking for.

I suspect that needing the muscle body just means needing enough reason for the initial investment - and often saying something like that is really just the answer given to the masses, rather than the real, usually license related, issues. If they have enough potential licenses that need the body, they'll be able to justify the initial expense.

When is the DC Direct license up? I'd love to see some DC movie PF's...

Last edited:
Hot Toys is really the only company I would want to see take this on. And of course, they have had DC film licenses for Superman Returns, Nolan Batman, Watchmen, and supposedly Reeve Superman and Burton Batman. So I'm not sure that Mattel has those film licenses all that wrapped up. The only real examples of DC films HT hasn't released figures from recently is Jonah Hex and Green Lantern, and Mattel's influence may or may not be a factor there.

As for non-1/6th scale, it would be a dream come true if Sideshow got the 1/4 scale statue rights.

Since the DCD 13" line seems to be at an end also, maybe a new 1/6th line might come about. As to who should produce it, seems like there are an awful lot of possibilities beyond Hot Toys who could do a respectable job and keep a lower price point. bbi is a huge toy manufacturer and contractor and could produce at whatever quality and quantity was required. And DCD could still maintain licensing and control. They would have no trouble at all engineering new body types or working with the materials needed to create medium and high end figures in the superhero genre. That's just one example. A number of manufacturers have the capabilities. The question is whether Time Warner has any interest in this type of figure anymore. I hope they do.
What I would hate to see is a Hasbro or Mattel kiddie line offered that would make a more expensive or detailed collectors line not happen. That's where we are now and it's tragic.

I figure DC must realize at this point that HT has cornered the market for high end, geeky 1/6th scale figures. Though Sideshow does a decent enough job with the Joes and Star Wars figures, they are still way behind HT in terms of fanciness and paint apps, and seem to focus more and more on statues over 1/6 scale because that is Sideshow's comparative advantage. Plus, DC may have issues with Sideshow's cozy relationship with Marvel, and may not want to go there.

If they really want to tap that market and milk it for what it's worth, HT is the way to go IMO. Until and unless someone else can really step up to the plate and compete.

Medicom may sell well in Asia, but their small size and lack of quality are not big draws here in the states. Dragon tried to take on a geek license recently in Star Trek: TNG, and it didn't turn out so well from my understanding. Not sure if they or BBI or DiD, or some other company that typically focuses on military/historical figures is the way to go, because it just seems out of their element. But just about anything is gonna be preferable to the DC Direct 13 inchers, in my opinion. Better to give one of those companies a shot than to let this line continue with the status quo.

Would DC Direct even have a license for their own properties since it is their own in house company?

The legal complexities of subsidiaries, etc. Can be daunting, so whether there is an actual license or not can depend on a whole lot.

Hot Toys is really the only company I would want to see take this on. And of course, they have had DC film licenses for Superman Returns, Nolan Batman, Watchmen, and supposedly Reeve Superman and Burton Batman. So I'm not sure that Mattel has those film licenses all that wrapped up. The only real examples of DC films HT hasn't released figures from recently is Jonah Hex and Green Lantern, and Mattel's influence may or may not be a factor there.

:lecture:lecture:lecture I don't see Jonah Hex being anymore popular than Watchmen was so that's understandable why HT wouldn't go there and GL's still a gamble. But other than that, they pretty much have everything they need with Batman and Superman, past, present and future incarnations being made.

That said, who handles the 13" figures? Doesn't DCD market them as 1/6? :huh

As for non-1/6th scale, it would be a dream come true if Sideshow got the 1/4 scale statue rights.

HT's license agreement isn't clean for US rights which is why Mattel is also doing reeves superman work.

I think ht has the high end market sewn up - but I bet WB feels there's a market for below $100 figures of the big films. Not just new batman, superman, gl and ww, but vintage film versions as well.

And while I've only heard rumors, I think some things are going to shake up at dc direct sometime thisbyear.

Last edited:
We all know (or we should) that Mattel's current DC license is up in 2012. I suspect, although I don't have official confirmation, that the reason we don't see any high end 12" product sold direct to the US market is because Mattel has that tied up as part of their agreement with WB.

Mattel has the license for the smaller figures but the large scale figure license for DC characters both film and comic were held by DC Direct, the reason that Reeve for example is being done by Mattel is because it is a different scale but also because it had to be leased from DC Direct according to what I've read online at the time the first Superman 78 figure was announced.

If that is possible, what would you like to see? Hot Toys get the license? Medicom? Sideshow? or some combination of Sideshow and Hot Toys as a joint venture?

Sideshow has wanted the DC license for years. In the 2007 SDCC chat they made it clear that it was a dead horse and they stopped trying even though they still wanted. I would say that Sideshow alone is a longshot really. Hot Toys has expressed interest in the Comic license for a long time but they already have most of the International film licenses locked up and so I don't see them particularly needing it or going after it with so much on their plate already. Medicom is a possibility as is Enterbay but I'm doubtful on both.

Georg Brewer was quoted while he was still at DC Direct that the line itself (DCD 13") needed to be revitalized. Many people speculated that they'd just simply farm out the license to another company but there was a strong rumor that was floating around that they would scrap the 13" all together, allow some time in between the end of that and the introducing of a new actual 12" line with a new body styling (or one purchased) and have the line start over. That is where I'm placing my chips.

If Sideshow could produce them in the $80 range, I think WB would be more interested, but buyers will want them to up their game, especially in the area of human head sculpts. People are going to want HT quality even at the lower price point, because we've gotten spoiled...so what do you think?

The $80 pricepoint is only for items that can be heavily reused like Clones or soldiers in the JOES line. For every other figure they crest at about $120, I would expect that a DC line from Sideshow would follow suit at $120 if not higher. Superman for example could probably be at $120 but someone like Saint Walker or Metallo or even Killer Croc who have humanoid styling so a new body may not be necessary but arms, heads, accessories would have to be molded and could not be used again would without a doubt pull a higher pricepoint.

And so far HT seems to have no interests in comic book figures, or else I'm sure they would have been all over Marvel by now. Best chance at HT comic looking figures would be figures from Arkham Asylum/City I would think.

That is actually wrong. HT has expressed interest in both Marvel and DC comic licenses the thing is they are separate licenses. I can't speak for DC but the SSC reps have made it clear on these boards that each Marvel property is a separate license. There is the 616 Comic license, then the Ultimates universe is a separate license they'd need to get as is the Zombies as is each of the film versions. HT works the same way, each license they have get it's not automatically locked up, the Marvel comic license would have to be a license that they get on their own and I wonder if Hasbro's 12" license even though they are mixed media has been a stumbling block. I would imagine though that with HT announcing so many licenses that they can't even keep up with showing the protos or new info that they just wouldn't go after it until they can clean house a bit.

I didn't specifically say anything about comic book figures - Mattel has the license for movies as well all tied up. I'd like to see comic book figures, but I think movie based ones would be more likely to start, since I think WB sees the wider appeal that they have. WB and Mattel have already been poking around with that market with Matty Collector, with their Reeves and Luthor. They're already charging almost $70, and not getting the quality for it. I think that's a good indicator that the WB thinks there's potential, but that Mattel can't give them what they are looking for.

HT already has the 12" license for Superman 1978, Batman 89, Nolan Batmans, etc. If your looking to film versions then HT is already there. I don't see any other company other than HT and possibly Medicom who had the Nolan stuff doing any film stuff.

When is the DC Direct license up? I'd love to see some DC movie PF's...

I read somewhere that the new DC Entertainment was currently looking at all licenses and considering farming some out. I'm not sure though that DC Direct would lose anything since that company itself is going through restructuring and have locked up releases already bleeding into 2012 in informal announcements.

The only real examples of DC films HT hasn't released figures from recently is Jonah Hex and Green Lantern, and Mattel's influence may or may not be a factor there. As for non-1/6th scale, it would be a dream come true if Sideshow got the 1/4 scale statue rights.

I think Jonah Hex never got made because it bombed out fast, GL I think it part an engineering issue and part they want to see if it'll be successful since the last string of non-Batman DC movies haven't been. I seriously doubt Matty had anything to do with those decisions or any decisions on Hot Toy's or DC's part in the near future.

Would DC Direct even have a license for their own properties since it is their own in house company?

They do, it makes it all official but DC Entertainment's announcement hinted at the breaking apart of DC Direct to license out but nothing has happened on that front yet.

Plus, DC may have issues with Sideshow's cozy relationship with Marvel, and may not want to go there.

I have a feeling that DC Direct is more the stumbling block with a DC/Sideshow partnership than that. Sideshow still imports some DC product and HT is cozy with both companies.

The legal complexities of subsidiaries, etc. Can be daunting, so whether there is an actual license or not can depend on a whole lot.

I have a feeling just to make everything kosher there is one but I'm sure it was the easiest licensing agreement to hammer out.

That said, who handles the 13" figures? Doesn't DCD market them as 1/6? :huh

Yes, they do. They still did up until the last Batman: Justice release. Until we know what has happened to DCD's 1/6 line there isn't anything to talk about in terms of another company taking it and I'm sure that DCD will take another crack at it and is just giving some breathing room to not piss off potential buyers.

HT's license agreement isn't clean for US rights which is why Mattel is also doing reeves superman work.

I guarantee you that HT DOES NOT have a US right license for Superman 1978. They didn't for TDK, DCD had it and HT had the International rights. I guarantee you it's the same here only Matty has the US rights. They get imported domestically via DC Direct and I'm sure that the Superman 78 and the Batman 89 will be as well, they were still importing Jor-El figures not too long ago. Any DC license that HT has I'm sure will get the "International" branding even though it's not that difficult to get domestically.

And while I've only heard rumors, I think some things are going to shake up at dc direct sometime this year.

Those rumors have been bubbling for a while now with nothing really coming of it. I'm interested to see where it takes off. While DCD hasn't done a 13" figure in a while which is their 1/6 they are doing 1/4 busts which is usually HT territory and was an interesting a new offering for the GL film line...

Interesting...

HT is already doing movie figures. I think Sideshow could really do well with comic based figures as long as they invested in a couple of new body styles.

Interesting...

HT is already doing movie figures. I think Sideshow could really do well with comic based figures as long as they invested in a couple of new body styles.

Looking at what they're doing with the Joes though, more specifically the Cobras, iron-on insignia on high-end DC figures would make them look like glorified MEGOs. :monkey4

I hope Sideshow will do the 1/6 scale 12'' DC figures. Sideshow is doing two fantastic sixth scale figure lines for Star Wars and GI Joe in my opinion. Many DC characters will look very awesome at sixth scale. Deathstroke will make a perfect 12'' figure!

I think ht has the high end market sewn up - but I bet WB feels there's a market for below $100 figures of the big films. Not just new batman, superman, gl and ww, but vintage film versions as well.

And while I've only heard rumors, I think some things are going to shake up at dc direct sometime thisbyear.

Does it open window gaps for Sideshow to produce statues for DC/Warner Bros?

I don't think SSCs would do any additional 1/6th lines. It is clear that their business model is more slanted toward statues, bust and 1:1 scale items. I think the only reason why they have any 1/6th scale products at all is because they sub licensed SW & GI Joe from Hasbro. I think there are enough SWs fans to keep the line going, although there seems to be more and more fans cherry picking the line, I worry about the Joe longevity. I think those fans are going to eventually get LOTR'ed.

I'd like to see HTs do it but they're having enough trouble getting out their movie based items as it is. No Avatar yet. No Keaton Bats, no Reeves Supes and no Sucker Punch.

Back