Will Hot Toys ever lose their value?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyT

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hot Toys are so awesome right now. But Sideshow 1/6th was awesome in their day. Now, Sideshow 1/6th look silly. When will Hot Toys start looking silly and losing their value? Some of the older figures (John J. Rambo and the original Prison Break) already look silly, but are still valuable. How long will this last!?!

I would say not much if any. Sure if they put out a new Rambo III the original will drop a bit, but not a lot.

Eventually HT will develop the technology to clone actors and shrink them down to 1/6th size, giving every collector an actual living breathing action figure. This will make all current HT figures obsolete.

Although it will not prevent people from doing PS manips.

This will also open up the the 1/6th toilet market since all our figures will now need to pee and poop.

This will also open up the the 1/6th toilet market since all our figures will now need to pee and poop.
Savvy collectors will do like I am and get in on the ground floor here.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=LTY10004&mode=retail

50 of these babies pre-ordered :rock

Only one will be used with my custom "Dude" figure. The rest are an investment to pay for my child's college fund--as are all my Hot Toys purchases. This is gonna be even more lucrative than all those comics I picked up in the early 1990s!

YES...like many toys. Especially when they are mass produced. People talk about HT making limited runs, but in comparison, those runs are large and big enough to devalue the figures. It's not like the vinyl-urban art world, where those pieces are truly limited based on the output.

Living hot toys figures you say? ..if that were the case i'd have a great time parting out a black widow!:naughty

Hot Toys are so awesome right now. But Sideshow 1/6th was awesome in their day. Now, Sideshow 1/6th look silly. When will Hot Toys start looking silly and losing their value? Some of the older figures (John J. Rambo and the original Prison Break) already look silly, but are still valuable. How long will this last!?!

The bottom is about to drop out of the HT 1/6 market, starting with Blade and Mk I. You should sell these to me immediately before this happens. My offer of $400 for the pair is comfortably above MSRP, pm me if you want to make this very sensible and prescient transaction.

thread_delivers.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the big key: what developments in realism and immersion will we get in the next few years in the 1/6th scale figure market?

Look at some of the pieces being released now, in terms of realism of sculpts, clothing tailoring et., it's quite incredible.

How much better can that get? And if there is a change and evolved movement to more realism, that's the only way I can see these figures losing their value at a incredible rate.

Something, any new movement, will have to make what we are seeing now, obsolete. Then we can look at the pricey HT that are in the market now as undesirable and they then will lose their value at a rapid rate.

But what will it take?

1/6th scale figures that do what? Look like what? et?

Back