Merry and Pippin Dye Tutorial

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pixletwin

Malalaking Gagamba
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
IMGP2374.JPG

Basic Recipe:

MERRY

Frodo pants
Sam shirt
Frodo vest dyed Golden Yellow
Frodo jacket dyed Dark Green

PIPPIN

Sam pants dyed Dark Green
Frodo shirt
Frodo jacket dyed Teal
Sam cloak dyed Dark Brown

Rit Color Remover used on both Frodo's (Merry's) Vest and Frodo's jacket (Pippin's).

Then soaked the treated materials in 2 cups bleach and 2 cups water for about 15 minutes.

Then I used Rit GOLDEN YELLOW on Merry's vest. Just keep it in the dye till it gets the color you want.

I used Rit TEAL for Pippin's jacket. Just leave it in for 20 minutes.

Let them dry thoroughly.

Merry's jacket and Pippin's pants were both using Rit DARK GREEN. No bleach or color remover needed.

If you have any questions or need help feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
Yeah, thanks Pixletwin! I will dye the clothing someday soon to prepare my extra Frodo and Sam stuff to work for Merry and Pippin. :wave

Thanks man! I have got two on a shelf waiting to be futzed with.. was nervous about the dye until i read this. my brother works with RIT a lot.. I'll probably have him help! Maybe my mom can cut/sew.. so I guess you've taken all the work out of my hands! :p Love the recipe you used though! Best way to get a Merry and Pip ready to go!

Thanks man! I have got two on a shelf waiting to be futzed with.. was nervous about the dye until i read this. my brother works with RIT a lot.. I'll probably have him help! Maybe my mom can cut/sew.. so I guess you've taken all the work out of my hands! :p Love the recipe you used though! Best way to get a Merry and Pip ready to go!

This is great! Not nearly as complicated as I thought it would be! Even I shouldn't be able to muck this up too badly!

Thanks again, man! :clap

Looks like I'll need a third Frodo coat, though. Hmm ...

Since it requires some cutting and sewing, maybe I can use the coat from a 1/6 Toy Biz Frodo. Certainly cheaper and easier to lay your hands on ...

Warning: The color remover stuff stinks REALLY BAD so if you give this a go you might want to do it when the wife and kids (or whoever you share your life with) are out of the house.

:)

HAHA! Thanks for the heads-up on the stink of the RIT color remover Pix!

P.S., has Pippin's jacket been tailored to be shorter that the original Frodo jacket that was used? Looks shorter in the pic than the Merry and Frodo jackets...

Really badass work on these... I'm in the process of gathering materials :duff

And this reminds me I really need to finish Gimli :lecture

Like all of the rest here, I am very appreciative of the fact that you have posted the tutorial... I am hoping to now get started on these this weekend!

One quick question before I go and gather materials: Did you use powder or liquid with these items? Last time I picked up some dye for the wife, it seemed that most things were available in both formats.

Many, MANY thanks yet again for the tips!

Great tutorial, Pix! Even tailoring the clothing shouldn't be too big a job with some good screen grabs to work from and a sufficient amount of patience. The hardest part will be waiting till I can get back to the states so I can pull my extra Hobbits out of storage!

This is a similar subject just not relating to Merry and Pippen. I have a Sideshow Phantom of Opera black tux and I want use Rit color remover to lighten it and re-dye it purple. Would this work or is it hopeless.

This is such a great and important thread for customizing and kitbashing. Instead of looking for the exact colored shirt and pants or whatnot, or even have custom clothing made (expensive) just dye each item the color you need! AMAZING!

Wait till you see the customs I've got cooked up using this method!

Sucks to go through all that stinkiness for nothing. Frodo's green cloak won't come out with either color remover or bleach. I hope you have better luck.

Back