Ikea Granas Coffee Table become awesome Display Case

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geil

Super Freak
Reaction score
This is what you start up with
granas.jpg

This model of coffee table is unfortunately already discontinued in Canada. They still have the dining table which is similar and could be modified for an even bigger display case... (I picked up the table from the as is section for cheap already :D but usually its $300 incl 4 chairs) Well keep an eye for used as I found them being offered on craigslist quite often though many of them the glass top tend to be scratched up :(
So Figurefreak started lowering the magazine shelf which is as simple as cutting 4 measured cutouts into the legs with a dremel or similar tool
Added some kind of metal sheet on top of the shelf and closed up the sides with acrylic panels and finished if with a set of Ikea Dioder LED strip lights and VOILA... what a beauty!
displayn.jpg

I started mine but have yet to finish my MDF cover and acrylic sides. I am using HomeDepot insulation foam tape to close up most of the gaps to make it dustproof. My latest update.. I doubled the setup using now two of these !!!!!
photo4ldh.jpg

Credit to FigureFreaks
it's his TDK setup you see up there but he just never created a separate thread for it so I decided this needs to be out there for others to see and follow. Mine is still the partially done MR MF setup:p

If you want to follow some instructions
read the thread starting from this page from ironed as he has his ideas and progress extremely well documented

Applying the idea to Ikea Vittsjo table by chillipep66
hey guys! took this great idea and applied it to the Vittsjo table. which is slightly smaller. but I have a Granas I scouted out on Kijiji that I will also be outfitting the way you all did. thanks so much for the idea! this is genius. heres the case, currently holding my godfather collection. quick no flash grain pics, sorry!
photoiuq.jpg

more pictures here

More Granas owners:
DarthMagnus Star Wars Granas
037.jpg

source

canonwars
IMG_5658_zpsda8f590a.jpg

source

Kicker
DisplayCase.jpg

source

ironed
02e4e075c8fb9acf9aec5dfd8b98a6f6.jpg

Ironed' walk through on how to put the case together starting here ... are you going to post it on Ikea Hackers? You need to represent!!

Sorry but I ran out of quota for images to post in my post here so I will just mention proud new members
bicoid18

Last edited:
Ctually considered getting the Granas for...well dining. Haven't seen the coffee table. That looks great and ditto what was said about wishing for a collectible big enough to make good use of the display. Anymore pics:clap

My Master :pray:

Btw you all do realize you could also have a legion of figures in this and it be just as impressive in it's own way right?

:borg:

Looks incredible! :thud:

Too bad there's no way to conceal the lighting cord.

That's amazing stuff! Well done!

I'd probably end up putting stuff on it and messing up the display, tough. You know, the way you always leave stuff there "for a second" and ends up staying there for months?:gah: This is only for organized and disciplined people.

I'd probably end up putting stuff on it and messing up the display, tough. You know, the way you always leave stuff there "for a second" and ends up staying there for months?:gah: This is only for organized and disciplined people.

:lol :goodpost:

Wow that's a great idea, cause them kind of pieces like the Tumbler & Falcon can be kinda awkward to display with there size & width but that is impressive :)

Yeah I was hoping this will encourage me to keep the coffee table clear but that has yet to work out at all :lol

That looks amazing! Welll done! :duff

Thanks to FigureFreaks again for his idea and sharing of it. Without it I would not know what to do with my Falcon and it probably just ends up collecting dust inside it's box but this is my glorious centerpiece though I wish I could rotate the Tumbler and Batpod out ones in a while as his setup is just awesome!

Thank you all! :wave

I broke out laughing when reading the last post here :rotfl …and I just had to take a picture of the table as it looked right then. :panic:

09032011691copy.jpg

I’m not very disciplined, but it helps me hold it clean 95% of the time. :wink1:

:lol

Back