Ikea lighting - share your experiences!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darklord Dave

Super Freak
Reaction score
I've been slowly building a display area with Ikea Billy bookcases and just wanted to comment on lighting and get everyone else's feedback on it.

I bought a bunch of Non lighting systems - $10 each for 2 lights, and thought it was a great deal. However these things are VERY hot. The lights themselves get hot as does the outlet plug (which is HUGE). I worry about my resin collectibles that are within a foot of the lights.

I found a better solution is the LED Tjukofyra which is much more expensive, but easier to install, has cooler lights and uses less space.

Anyone else have experience with other types of lighting?

I too use the NON lights. I was annoyed and worried that after purchase a note inside the package stated that they must be over 10cm away from object and that theyre hot, which was not what I was informed.
But I keep the figures away from the light and it still lights wonderfully.

Im also planning on getting the ikea Docent cabinet(large) and Im looking at other nicer lights to use as well. I may need to check out those LED's, Hope theyre available in Aus.
:D

these look wonderful. These are what I originally wanted for the Docent cabinet(someone over at reelscum has a wonderful display with these lights) but theyre not available in aussie Ikea.:monkey2

They let off very little heat, but great lighting. Very small and not too visible. Hope that helps!
I wonder what international shipping would be...:monkey2

https://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/sto...12&productId=11158&langId=-1&parentCats=15579

I'll get some pics of the display with these lights!

EDIT:

pwcases3.jpg

Last edited:
This is the trettioen lighting from Ikea?

And who's collection is it? Is it yours Neil?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy those Dr2red, but I don't like the blueness of the light, maybe I can try to mod it a bit to make the light more yellowish - a bit warmer perhaps?

pordey2 said:
This is the trettioen lighting from Ikea?

And who's collection is it? Is it yours Neil?
Yep thats the one Pordey, lol no its not my collection, I would love it to be!:D

BDboystoys said:
these look wonderful. These are what I originally wanted for the Docent cabinet(someone over at reelscum has a wonderful display with these lights) but theyre not available in aussie Ikea.:monkey2

They let off very little heat, but great lighting. Very small and not too visible. Hope that helps!

https://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/sto...12&productId=11158&langId=-1&parentCats=15579

EDIT:

pwcases3.jpg

Thats a classy collection !!!!!

Dave, thanks for starting this thread. I was all poised to pick up some of the cheap lights my next Burbank Ikea trip. You saved me the money and steared me in the right direction! :D

goliath said:
I'm using Tjugofyra as well, and they are great, very light and thin, easy to mount and shift around if needed and most importantly: no heat emission.
hmm, I cant see them in you collection pics!

EDIT: Ooh wait! found one in the Galadriel pic! How did you get that to secure to the glass above? No drilling?

BDboystoys said:
hmm, I cant see them in you collection pics!

EDIT: Ooh wait! found one in the Galadriel pic! How did you get that to secure to the glass above? No drilling?

No drilling necessary, they are so light, you could probably attach the with half a chewing gum... but they come with some sticky pads that you can use.

goliath said:
No drilling necessary, they are so light, you could probably attach the with half a chewing gum... but they come with some sticky pads that you can use.

awesome! I may check these out too! Thanks for that.:D

Darklord Dave said:
I've been slowly building a display area with Ikea Billy bookcases and just wanted to comment on lighting and get everyone else's feedback on it.

I bought a bunch of Non lighting systems - $10 each for 2 lights, and thought it was a great deal. However these things are VERY hot. The lights themselves get hot as does the outlet plug (which is HUGE). I worry about my resin collectibles that are within a foot of the lights.

I found a better solution is the LED Tjukofyra which is much more expensive, but easier to install, has cooler lights and uses less space.

Anyone else have experience with other types of lighting?

So wait are these fluorescent? And do they give off a blue hue?

The Non are incandescent and aren't blue like the Tjung..., but I prefer the blue to the heat - works well with the SW stuff anyway.

I considered the Trettio - maybe next time.

Darklord Dave said:
The Non are incandescent and aren't blue like the Tjung..., but I prefer the blue to the heat - works well with the SW stuff anyway.

My Tjugofyra aren't blue, they're white and I think they don't make them in colors yet :confused:

@DekeStarkiller: They are LEDs, so non-fluorescent, and 4 of them are wired to one transformer that plugs directly into a power outlet.

They aren't colored lights, but are bluer than the white/yellow light from the Nons. It's really just a cooler looking light (temperature cooler, not cool, cooler).

BDboystoys said:

EDIT:

pwcases3.jpg

What kind of shelving is this? Does anyone have any pics of the Ikea Billy set up?

I've got the Ikea Billy shelves with the Non lights, but thanks to the above links, I may have to replace them. They are large, cumbersome, and HOT!!! The also run off a large transformer for each light, thus chewing into a lot of outlet space. This looks like a much nicer alternative, and it should be easy to rewire with the shelves empty now that the LOTR SSW is gone...
I will try to post empty pics soon, but I have had a terrible time with the new digital camera!

Back