PSP 2 Rumors

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairlesswookiee

PALPATINE CRUSADER!!!!
Reaction score
Might have 3G built in and an OLED screen.....sounds like this will be incredibly expensive.

From Kotaku:

According to a report on Nikkei, the portable will in Japan be able to link up with the NTT DoCoMo network via a 3G phone connection. While this particular network deal obviously won't apply to Western consumers, the fact there's apparently 3G connectivity in the unit means we could expect something similar when the handheld launches in the West.

A 3G connection would mean the PSP could download data (and movies, and music) over a phone network, greatly increasing the connectivity of the unit. Despite not mentioning this specifically in the report, it would also open up the possibility of it functioning as a phone, despite the expected reveal this year of a dedicated PlayStation Phone as well.

The other major, previously unknown piece of information in the report is that the PSP2 is expected to boast an OLED screen, which on a handheld this size would be capable of producing amazing visuals.

https://kotaku.com/5741331/psp2-will-...y-fancy-screen

Wow an organic LED screen? I've never seen an OLED screen on anything small other than some of Sony's MP3 players so I'm interested to see how this turns out.

Not just expensive upon purchase, but also expensive in the long run if it supports 3G, which means a monthly fee from a service carrier or Sony themselves. The more I hear about the PSP2, the more it sounds like a smart phone and I don't want that.

Not just expensive upon purchase, but also expensive in the long run if it supports 3G, which means a monthly fee from a service carrier or Sony themselves. The more I hear about the PSP2, the more it sounds like a smart phone and I don't want that.

Apparently they are actually making their own Playstation 'phone' so the PSP2 should deviate from that path enough.

Why would you put 3G in when 4G is going o new standard very soon?

I'm not sure that's an issue. From what I understand, 4G doesn't cover very many areas, and 3G is still limited as well. 3G should be enough to run an online game, as long as you don't lose the signal

The big rumored reveal of the PSP phone and PSP2 is on Jan. 27th. Sony will show us something on that day.

The big rumored reveal of the PSP phone and PSP2 is on Jan. 27th. Sony will show us something on that day.

Hopefully they will try to undersell the 3DS. $250-300 is too much for a handheld game system that won't be played as much as a regular console. My DS and PSP are only in service when I'm in bed before I go to sleep, in the bathroom when I"m on the can.

Hopefully they will try to undersell the 3DS. $250-300 is too much for a handheld game system that won't be played as much as a regular console. My DS and PSP are only in service when I'm in bed before I go to sleep, in the bathroom when I"m on the can.

I predict that Sony will offer 2 options of the PSP2 (like with the PS3). One will be a bare-bones, Wi-Fi only, low memory capacity package at a relatively low price, and the other will have 3G and and 32-64gb memory.

The less expensive PSP2 sku might come close to the 3DS' price, but I don't think it'll hit at under $299. Probably $299 - $399. That's my guess.

I think it's too much to expect Sony to try to undercut Nintendo or even Apple in terms of pricing and tech. Sony can't help themselves and always shoot for cutting-edge tech, and that would come at a price. 3G, OLED screen, near-PS3 graphics (?), back touch panel, high memory capacity, possible new proprietary media similar to UMD? $$$$ -- Heck, Sony's Walkman mp3 media player w/oled screen costs ~$250 for the 16gb version...and it's just an mp3/video player.

The possibility (or inevitability) of a 3G data plan could lower the initial price of buying a PSP2, like how all cell phone carriers offer a discount on a smart phone if you sign up for a 2 year plan. Not that it matters to us because eventually we'd be paying out the a$$ on monthly data fees.

edit/update: nvm, just read that it's likely just another fake.

This just popped up on Kotaku:

The First Official Shot of the PSP 2?

psp222.jpg

Kotaku.com said:
While the PSP2 is not yet official, there have been fan Photoshop creations. Apparently, this is not a fan-made creation. Apparently, this is a Sony-made one.

Granted, this could very well be another slick Photoshop, but this week Sony is expected to unveil the new PlayStation Portable, which is currently being called the PSP2. As the reveal approaches, this art work surfaced online today on 2ch, Japan's largest online forum.

The photo features a handheld believed to be the PSP2, which has a PSPgo style sliding shell. There is a 32 GB SD memory card as well, plus a "PSP2" memory stick. There is a long, thin stylus as well.

Unlike the current PSP, there are two analog nubs, giving this handheld a controller layout similar to the PS3.

What is fishy about the picture is that it appears to be a photograph of a handout of some kind. While handouts may be present at the January 27 press conference, it's also a good way for a Photoshopper to hide their work, as it masks any differences in resolution you'd be able to detect in an online image.

Official Sony art is typically at a higher resolution, but this art is not, which also sends off alarm bells. The buttons and the d-pad look to be at a slightly different resolution. The copyright in the bottom left, which appears on official Sony images, is cut off, too. Likewise, odd. However, as mentioned above, this purported PSP2 image could be photo taken of official Sony art or of an official Sony handout, hence these resolution inconsistencies.

The thumbsticks are in a different location from photos that appeared last fall of what is supposedly the PSP2.

Last October, Kotaku broke the news that the PSP2 will ditch the UMD format and could very well rival the Xbox 360 in horsepower.

Whether or not it is real, won't be known for sure if and when the rumored PSP2 is finally made public. However, Kotaku is reaching out to Sony and will update this post should the company comment.

What do you guys think? There have been many fan-made photoshop mock-ups in the past, but Kotaku and 2Chan says this new image could be legit.

Last edited:
That image is way too obviously fake. i say this because its the same "leaked" photo of the Playstaion phone except with analogue sticks.

on another note am i wrong for wanting it to have 3d aswell?

That image is way too obviously fake. i say this because its the same "leaked" photo of the Playstaion phone except with analogue sticks.

on another note am i wrong for wanting it to have 3d aswell?

3D is nice, but it's probably the reason the 3DS is so expensive, it's not that much more graphically powerful so probably a lot went into the screen.

I'm not sure that's an issue. From what I understand, 4G doesn't cover very many areas, and 3G is still limited as well. 3G should be enough to run an online game, as long as you don't lose the signal
Not sure where you live that 3g is limited, every major metro area I have been in has 3g and a lot will have 4g soon.

Not sure where you live that 3g is limited, every major metro area I have been in has 3g and a lot will have 4g soon.

3G is more limited than regular phone service, and from what I understand something like Sprint's 4G service only had a small number of cities that they covered.

announced....dual analogs sticks, 5 inch OLED display, 3G and GPS, front and rear touchpads, electronic compass on 3 axes

The OLED boasts 4x the resolution of the current PSP

So they are announcing the new psp right now at a press conference

Front and rear camera, with a microphone

Six axis motion sensing abilities.

Front and rear touch pads.

3G plus WiFI. GPOS.

5 inch OLED

"Next Generation Portable" official name

There are cameras on both the front and rear of the device
There will be physical media for games, a New Game Media, a flash memory-based card
will also incorporate 3G networks and accessibility in addition to Wi-Fi
NGP will be released starting from the holiday season this year"

Back