Welcome to CollectorFreaks.com! Register today to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and easy!
Advanced Search
Page 2 of 109 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
    Wahooooo!!!!
    Feedback
    2 (100%)

Default Re: Movie Poster Collecting

All I have is this one and I'm not sure as to why I even bought it. Mine has never been folded though:

Administrator
    Feedback
    5 (100%)
    Panjo
    Things I'm Selling
    Follow Darklord Dave On Twitter Add Darklord Dave on Facebook Visit Darklord Dave's Youtube Channel
    I was collecting movie posters before anything else. I started when I was an usher in the movie theaters back in the 80s. I have over 700 total, although a lot of them are crap titles from the 80s, I also have some great ones. Right now on display are original Star Wars, Raiders, just spent big bucks to frame a Rocketeer, have Pulp Fiction and Luhrman's Romeo & Juliet above the couch and Branagh's Henry V in the stairwell.

I'm still trying to figure out where to put my lenticular Lost World - the light box is big and heavy and I don't have much wall space.

Originals are the only way to go - I know that the repros look the same, but I could never frame them and hang them. As a collector they have to be unavailable to the public.

My most prized are probably the Lost World (as an early lenticular and as a cool dinosaur poster it's very impressive), original Superman, ET, SW, Rocketeer, Star Trek: TMP (although mine's folded - I really want a rolled one). And a one sheet sized poster for Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Once More with Feeling (by Adam Hughes) - I've never seen these for sale, although the smaller ones come up all the time.

Super Freak
    Feedback
    5 (100%)
    All I have is the "Why so serious" joker one.. my friend who worked as a usher got it for me.. so I know its legit.. however i've been thinking about getting some on ebay but not sure of the authenticity of the posters... anyway to know forsure?

Hidden Content
    They want me to come out of the dark…but I won’t
    I won’t.
    I’ll stay here.
    Where it’s safe.
    Safe from them…

Pretty easy - double sided these days are generally legit. The process, while not as expensive as say, 30 years ago, is still pretty expensive. They also are always 27x40 these days.

Older single sided posters are pretty easy to tell too - if they are 27x41, had an NSS number on the bottom corner, and usually (although not always) have a white border, odds are they are original.

Wow, Dave - that's some mighty sweet stuff there!

Super Freak
    Feedback
    25 (100%)
    So when you say originals, do you mean what was released originally when the movie came out? So for Alien, what came out in 1979, or a reprint that is currently available (27x40 double sided)?
    Collection Thread: Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Are you on the square?
    Feedback
    45 (100%)
    I've always wanted an original Star Wars poster, but the price scares me away. Then you also have to worry about bootleg versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Waller View Post
    I've always wanted an original Star Wars poster, but the price scares me away. Then you also have to worry about bootleg versions.
    Me too, and with the originals being folded it is so hard to find one in decent condition (much less the price once you find one).

Quote Originally Posted by Reinhardt View Post
    So when you say originals, do you mean what was released originally when the movie came out? So for Alien, what came out in 1979, or a reprint that is currently available (27x40 double sided)?
    I haven't seen ant 'reprint' alien posters that are ds and 27x40, but yea when you say 'original' it means released when the movie was . There are some ds alien/aliens posters that came out when the films were re-released to theaters, but technically those are 'originals' for that release. Yea, it can be confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by jimjimmyjones85 View Post
    Me too, and with the originals being folded it is so hard to find one in decent condition (much less the price once you find one).
    They weren't ALL folded, but most were making the rolled ones even harder to find.

I would probably buy more if I had the space to display them.

But I have this (reprint)...