‘Doctor Who’ Retro Figures Coming From Bif Bang Pow!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pixletwin

Malalaking Gagamba
Staff member
Super Moderator
CF Supporter
Reaction score
https://piemonkey.com/toys/doctor-who-retro-figures-coming-from-bif-bang-pow/

Although BBP!’s license includes modern and classic versions of the show (as well as ancillary items like bobbleheads, tins, glassware and journals), first out of the gate will be the greatest Doctor of the ’70s, and the first exposure most Americans born before 1995 had to the series: Fourth Doctor Tom Baker. Prototypes for Baker and three other figures, all drawn from the Baker era of the show, will premiere at next month’s International Toy Fair in New York, with a planned launch for sale at this year’s San Diego Comic-Con in July (along with one or two SDCC-exclusive variants).

I am not a huge fan of Mego styled collectibles. Could be interesting though.

Mego's were fine for their time but it's the 21st century and techniques for making figures have moved on considerably since then so despite my love for 70's Who I'll not be giving these a second glance.

Mego's were fine for their time but it's the 21st century and techniques for making figures have moved on considerably since then so despite my love for 70's Who I'll not be giving these a second glance.

Agreed entirely. This whole Mego thing is a case of nostalgia being taken too far. The fact that there has yet to be any good 1/6 representations of the Doctor is just ridiculous, considering its popularity.

Mego partnered with Denny's in the late 70's and made 10" Mego Dr. Who figures based on Tom Baker and Leela. I think they also made a Dalek and maybe a Cyberman. I think they also made a figure of that big robot that Sara Jane fought in the first episodes of Baker's tenure.
I'm excited to see new Mego based Dr. Who figures. I wonder if they'll get Colin Baker's hair right...

I gave up waiting for 1/6 Who, it's just not going to happen, and if by some miracle it did, it certainly wouldn't be anything near Hot Toys (or probably even Sideshow) quality.

I'm not a Mego collector, but I did grow up with them, so there is a nostalgia factor there for me. I hope these are closer in quality to the Twilight Zone figures than the terrible Lost ones.

Though, if Bif Bang Pow's track record is any indication, character selection will be incredibly questionable, and the characters they choose will not appear with their iconic looks.

Yes. Hot Toys. :lecture

But Hot Toys is also notorious for not completing lines. We would probably get 4, 11, and maybe 10 and possibly a Master, and that would be it. Maybe that's a good thing, though. A complete set of Doctors by Hot Toys would bankrupt me.

Being a child of the 80's, I've never come to appreciate the Mego style. That said, it's hard for me not to get excited about more Doctor Who product coming out! :rock

There has to be something said for the retro wave of Mego style figures. With the increasing prices and detail of modern figures, I definitely see the appeal of these style of figures. They are cheaper and easier to find. Also, there can be a large variety of figures made unlike their modern counterparts. Can you imagine and entire line of Doctor Who figures? But there realistically can be an entire line of figures in the Mego style. They work really well with early 80s and 70s licenses. Flash Gordon and vintage Doctor Who are great examples of this. I love the new Buck Rogers line. They are simply brilliant!! Their relatively low cost of ownership and possibility of larger lines make them a wonderful line to collect. I am collecting the Star Trek megos and the Mattel Retro heroes. I will probably collect some lines. Again fun and cheap. Hot Toys Doctor Who? Awesome. But you won't get alot of figures out of that one. Even modern licenses with a retro feel would work great. Look at the Venture Brothers figures. Totally fit with the tone of the show. :peace

Also, there can be a large variety of figures made unlike their modern counterparts.

That's b******s. Since 2006 Character Options have made something like 200 figures from both eras of the show and at least 98% of them have a level of detail that no Mego style figure I've seen whether from past or present comes close to.

I have every Doctor except for 10 ( whom I dislike ) including several versions of my favorite ones ( 2,3 & 4 ) plus numerous Daleks, Cybermen and other adversaries.

I pay more than the US for pretty much everything so if I'm buying a licensed collectible I expect it to look as accurate to the source material as possible.......Mego style figures fail.

That's b******s. Since 2006 Character Options have made something like 200 figures from both eras of the show and at least 98% of them have a level of detail that no Mego style figure I've seen whether from past or present comes close to.

I have every Doctor except for 10 ( whom I dislike ) including several versions of my favorite ones ( 2,3 & 4 ) plus numerous Daleks, Cybermen and other adversaries.

I pay more than the US for pretty much everything so if I'm buying a licensed collectible I expect it to look as accurate to the source material as possible.......Mego style figures fail.

I believe we were talking Hot Toys not just plain plastic action figures. Don't have to get all worked up. Look at Star Wars. What are they up to how many figures? 3000 to 5000? The Character Options figures are nice but really don't fit in with a "vintage" vibe. Face it, Hot Toys will never get Doctor Who. It really isn't that popular in Asia. I seriously doubt mego-style figures are stopping 1/6 figures from being made. Heck, Character Options made 1/6 figures. See how long that lasted?

I'd buy a 1/6 Baker, but don't give a flip about Mego scale.

doc1jm3.jpg

I would too. Remember when that was annouced? Doctor Who doesn't seem to bring in enough interest in the 1/6 world. I would have bought that figure in a second, but it never got into production. Mego-style figures are fun and goofy in a way. Kinda like disco. Either you love or hate it. :peace

Face it, Hot Toys will never get Doctor Who

I know they won't, and it's not something I'm bothered about as thanks to various talented members of this site I already have several custom Classic Who figures in that scale in various stages of completion all with professional quality headsculpts, paint apps and attire.

Back