High end collectables killing Sideshow?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poelzig

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Granted,many items do sell out,but when something flops,it's an expensive flop.How many Abe Sapiens,naked Beasts,and Pumpkinheads can Sideshow endure?I imagine the license for the more popular lines is costly,resulting in a stratospheric price point for the consumer.(thus the advent for flex pay)Is this why Star Wars and LOTR are more expensive than previous lines?As it stands those on a modest budget are all but left behind.
Is anyone else worried that Sideshow has set themselves up as a US distributer of foriegn toy lines,rather than develope thier own? I fear that they have abbandoned toys/dolls alltogether,all except perhaps for the big two SW and LOTR.Is their advertising in toy trade magazines misplaced?

They will be fine, all businesses go through the same thing.

As for the importing, they importing other companies products over here, but those companies are also offering Sideshow products in their respected countries as well.

Poelzig said:
I fear that they have abbandoned toys/dolls alltogether,all except perhaps for the big two SW and LOTR.

LOTR 12"? SS still makes those??? :rolleyes:

Seriously though, if SS keeps the edition sizes in check on the least popular franchises they should be fine. Regarding SS importing other company's items and distributing stuff like the Electric Tiki pieces, well, just look at it as diversifying your portfolio. While SS develops their own pieces internally they always have something new to offer as a company.

I don't think SSC has abandoned 1/6 stuff, it's just that none of their other lines, LOTR included, sells anywhere near the pace that Star Wars does. They know that they can pump out figure after figure and sell them all, so resources that may have gone to Buffy or Universal Monsters or what have you is all tied up in Star Wars now because it's a sure sell. The reason Star Wars and LOTR figures are more expensive is because of the more detailed costumes and loads of accessories.

TheObsoleteMan said:
The reason Star Wars and LOTR figures are more expensive is because of the more detailed costumes and loads of accessories.

Perhaps.. or is it just because SW en LOTR are very popular?? Why sell for 40 bucks if you can get 60? (or more ;) ).

The Star Wars stuff sells, and that disappoints me. Not because Sideshow is doing well with the property, but because it's taking away from the products I like that Sideshow used to do. I haven't bought anything from Sideshow since the Brosnan 1/4 scale.

Fortunately for them, the Star Wars offerings are doing wonderfully.

Judging by what's on the horizon, I don't see much of anything for a long time. I'm saving a lot of money, so that's a good thing.

It's painful to watch what Sideshow's offering as a company right now, because I don't care to buy any of it. Quite similar to what DC Comics has done. Where I used to read the majority of their offerings, now I read only a pair.

I just don't like what they're doing. Again, fortune smiles on DC as their books are selling better than they have in years. They're making money and that's their #1 goal. Can't fault 'em for that, but, like Sideshow, they won't be getting my $$$$.

SolidLiquidFox said:
Not to mention the licensing fees involved. I am sure a big part of the price point these are set at take that into consideration.

Exactly. And no matter what, with SW selling and new figures coming like they are... it makes all other lines look so slow in comparison. But, I have no doubt that they have not forgotten about LOTR or of Bond, Universal Monsters, Buffy, etc....

And you also have to consider that the Star Wars figures in question that kept coming so fast all had pretty similiar clothing. No need to design a new pattern, just use different materials, and a lot of accessories for the Jedi were identical as well. So all they really had to make that was new and different were the lightsabers and head sculpts.

Now, with LOTR.. everything is different every time. It takes a lot longer to figure out the clothing and weaponry, so I expect that it will slow the process down a bit.

Don't worry, this is a good time for SSC. At least it appears so.. :D

Their strategy for getting the Star Wars line off the ground has obviously paid off and worked like a charm! Using the same basic accessories and outfits to pump out one Jedi after another during the initial months got everybody excited about the 12" figures and built up a great deal of momentum. From this point on, we will not see figures coming every two weeks like they were in early 2006.

We are finishing our fourth month of 2006, and in that time we have already ordered two LOTR figures. That's hardly a dead line--look at Bond or The X-Files, with one or two figures in an entire year. The only problem with getting the Star Wars line off to such a fast start is that the new fans might expect that they will always be getting a new figure every two or three weeks. That was obviously not going to continue forever--the big splash has been made, and now the pace will settle down a bit.

tomandshell said:
Their strategy for getting the Star Wars line off the ground has obviously paid off and worked like a charm! Using the same basic accessories and outfits to pump out one Jedi after another during the initial months got everybody excited about the 12" figures and built up a great deal of momentum. From this point on, we will not see figures coming every two weeks like they were in early 2006.

We are finishing our fourth month of 2006, and in that time we have already ordered two LOTR figures. That's hardly a dead line--look at Bond or The X-Files, with one or two figures in an entire year. The only problem with getting the Star Wars line off to such a fast start is that the new fans might expect that they will always be getting a new figure every two or three weeks. That was obviously not going to continue forever--the big splash has been made, and now the pace will settle down a bit.

Also keep in mind this strategy should also pay off with locking Lucasfilm's Indiana Jones Lisence so that may be why so much emphasis has been placed on SW the last few quarters. Indy 4 is quietly beginning to ramp up pre-production; budget approvals, finalizing producer deals, etc as we speak.

tomandshell said:

Well said Tom! Exactly what I was thinking.

tomandshell said:

And now that the Jedi have been adequately covered, Sideshow is going to have to start moving into figures that need much more time to develop. Any future "Heroes of the Rebellion" figures will require more intricate, unique costumes (Bespin Leia, Lando, Padme, etc.). The Sith all look different, and each has their own unique requirements that may take time. Maul's head sculpt. Vader's armor. Palpatine's (hopefully) interchangeable heads. Dooku...yeah he's probably the easiest next to the Vader Sith Apprentice repaint of Anakin.

tomandshell said:
Of course, back to the high end collectibles: They have only sold 50 of the 150 Pumpkinhead maquettes so far...
The fact that SOTA is releasing a huge Pumpkinhead figure probably isn't helping that one any.

Poelzig said:
Granted,many items do sell out,but when something flops,it's an expensive flop.How many Abe Sapiens,naked Beasts,and Pumpkinheads can Sideshow endure?I imagine the license for the more popular lines is costly,resulting in a stratospheric price point for the consumer.(thus the advent for flex pay)Is this why Star Wars and LOTR are more expensive than previous lines?As it stands those on a modest budget are all but left behind.
Is anyone else worried that Sideshow has set themselves up as a US distributer of foriegn toy lines,rather than develope thier own? I fear that they have abbandoned toys/dolls alltogether,all except perhaps for the big two SW and LOTR.Is their advertising in toy trade magazines misplaced?

I disagree (and naked beast is actually on the low supply alert) there are just as many "toy/dolls" that have yet to sell out that have been on the site for quite awhile. This company is doing it all, were other companies are either shrinking or closing their doors, Sideshow is growing. These guys are covering so much ground its unbelievable how many choices you can collect from them. These guys most work 24/7 to keep all these releases coming each week.

I also think they are going to continue to grow to become a major distributor (lookout Diamond).

udging by what's on the horizon, I don't see much of anything for a long time. I'm saving a lot of money, so that's a good thing.
It's painful to watch what Sideshow's offering as a company right now, because I don't care to buy any of it. Quite similar to what DC Comics has done. Where I used to read the majority of their offerings, now I read only a pair.
I just don't like what they're doing. Again, fortune smiles on DC as their books are selling better than they have in years. They're making money and that's their #1 goal. Can't fault 'em for that, but, like Sideshow, they won't be getting my $$$$.

About 97% of my collecting funds is going twords Sideshow products now.

Viking28 said:
I also think they are going to continue to grow to become a major distributor (lookout Diamond).

The writing is on the wall. They are already distributing their own stuff by the thousands. Add to that the deals that have been to distribute stuff from Electric Tiki, Medicom, and Hot Toys, and mix in a move to a larger facility with a bigger and better warehouse/shipping space, and you can see where things are going...
:chew

I wonder if even Weta might think about teaming up with Sideshow again for distribution one of these days.

Star Wars, Marvel and then LOTR. That seems to be the order of priorities nowadays over at SS and I think we can all understand why.

I can see the frustration some have (including myself in terms of LOTR 12") but when all is said and done I think SS will keep a good rotation going on the properties they are developing. I think right now PF Boba Fett is taking a big part of their time. At least I would like to think so. :monkey3

SW 12" will slow down at some point but I can't see it happening anytime soon. It is easily their best revenue maker and as a business it doesn't make sense to slow down now no matter what was said before. :rolleyes:

Sith Lord 0498 said:
And now that the Jedi have been adequately covered, Sideshow is going to have to start moving into figures that need much more time to develop. Any future "Heroes of the Rebellion" figures will require more intricate, unique costumes (Bespin Leia, Lando, Padme, etc.). The Sith all look different, and each has their own unique requirements that may take time. Maul's head sculpt. Vader's armor. Palpatine's (hopefully) interchangeable heads. Dooku...yeah he's probably the easiest next to the Vader Sith Apprentice repaint of Anakin.

So true, the lead time must be much longer.

Back