Lost passion returns

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hollywoodproxy

Just a little freaky
Reaction score
Hey guys, cool site, I'm learning a lot from you all...

I started out collecting when I was about ten years old, working at a little collectibles store in San Anselmo, CA called Dreams in the mid-90s. I was too young to actually work legally, so I was paid in toys and discounts by the owner Rick who really taught me what it means, and how to, collect. I was a huge collector of Star Wars figures, vintage and new, at the time. I used to hang out at Toys R' Us for hours searching for the perfect figures to collect and to wait for shipments. Longer story shorter, I grew up and lost that passion for collecting toys. Probably for a number of reasons. I never lost appreciation for the hobby but my desire to collect certainly died once chicks and high school entered the equation. Now I'm 27 and in the film industry, a screenwriter, and so I certainly never lost my love of iconic films and their characters.
For the last few months, I'm not sure why, I'd gotten that itch to collect again. Curious, I started cruising the stores online and came across Hot Toys. I was really surprised by the quality of collectibles now and one could argue that they are certainly pieces of art, namely the Hot Toys 1/6 line. I found myself preordering items I thought I'd like to display in my office to have a fun writing environment, but there was no emotional attachment to these items. Sometimes I even caught myself preordering figures because I thought it would be a good investment to sell later. That's what we did at Dreams, of course. Invest and sell higher later. Kind of like gambling. It's fun. But, that's not what collecting is about; there was still something missing. I didn't have that urge inside that I *must* have these collectibles. I just had the urge to collect. Maybe it's the stigma around collecting toys and the fact that I'm not a kid anymore. So what's a guy to do? There must be something to satisfy my inner nerd, I figured. And that's when I came across these 1:1 busts from films that I've loved for years. Just the other day, I saw the SS T-600 lifesize bust and that feeling I'd lost since I was a kid hit me like a Mack truck.

I had to have it.

It isn't an investment because I'd never think of selling it. That's what it means to collect for me. It almost becomes a need. I realized that maybe I'm not a toy guy anymore and that's cool. Now it's clear. Fewer, but substantial limited editions, pieces that anyone from all walks of life can look at and be awed by--museum quality works of art. That said, I haven't even received the T-600 yet but I'm already looking for the next piece to my collection; namely a lifesize alien bust. The passion, or addiction, is back. For better or worse.

So that's my story and thanks for reading. I look forward to seeing what this whole new world of collecting is all about and what SS will be up to in the near future. I think lifesize TMNT busts from the original film would be really incredible. So here's hoping.

Rock on--

RC

:rock

I kind of lost interest in your rambling intro at the point you admitted you were a scalper :)
Welcome anyway fellow geek. You may be able to write a script by the time you finish reading the Hot Toys threads lol Enjoy the show

Back