How to upgrade Aragorn?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raymond F.

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
I rcently got the Eric Sosa Aragorn head and don't own the sideshow figure. I want to bash Aaragorn and feel some parts of the sideshow are pretty behind the times. Are their obsessive customizers out there who have sourced out parts to replace the sideshow parts? Or have a good recipie to get it up to speed?

One thing I think looks awful is that outer robe duster coat thingy

I think the Sideshow Aragorn clothing and accessories are outstanding as is. Perhaps they can use a bit more weathering, but it's a great kit straight out of the box.

I rcently got the Eric Sosa Aragorn head and don't own the sideshow figure. I want to bash Aaragorn and feel some parts of the sideshow are pretty behind the times. Are their obsessive customizers out there who have sourced out parts to replace the sideshow parts? Or have a good recipie to get it up to speed?

One thing I think looks awful is that outer robe duster coat thingy

Could I see the Sosa head?

I think the only thing wrong with the SS Aragorn is the paint job. Everything else is great.

I think the Sideshow Aragorn clothing and accessories are outstanding as is. Perhaps they can use a bit more weathering, but it's a great kit straight out of the box.
I think most of it is excellent. Biggest let down I think is his long outer coat. The proto-type was a thing of beauty. Looked very well worn and had wrinkles in the material. The one released was very 21st Century Toys like. Not much detail to the fabric, just hangs there. I've been thinking of some way to get it to wrinkle up somehow. Heat maybe? I don't know. I also have a sandblast machine at work. Going to try and give it a real light dusting at work to see if I can stress the material some.

I painted mine...I'll try to post a pic today.

I bashed an Aragorn a while back. MOST of the sideshow figure is pretty good, but I have some recommendations.

First off, the Sosa head is a liiiiiittle smaller than the sideshow, so it'll look funny on the stock sideshow body. On my Aragorn, I replaced the body with a Soldier Story with integrated neck, and drilled out the sideshow head to fit on it...same story. He looks pinheaded now. So I ordered a HT "Ezio" body off ebay. It's a narrow TT with molded neck. I've already dremmeled out the new head to fit it.

Before you ask - the reason for drilling out the neck and using a molded neck is simple - his Arwen necklace. It gets caught in most neck joints.

For clothes, MOST of sideshow's is great, with some weathering. The only things I replaced are the pants, inner tunic and shirt...the ones that came with the old Dragon Aragorn are thinner and don't look as bulky. I also wanted my Aragorn to be ROTK, so the maroon tunic worked better. Also try to see if you can get a pair of Boromir vambrances to add to the outfit...they look great, especially since with the smaller body SS's jacket is a bit long...the vambrances make them look a bit better.

Also, Dragon's sword is metal...which is really nice.

If that can help here's the one i have made using the sideshow version.

IMG_4845.jpg

IMG_4846.jpg

IMG_4847.jpg

IMG_4848.jpg

I'm currently putting an Aragorn together! Cool thread.

I recieved the sideshow figure and the Eric Sosa (Red planet toys) Aragorn headsculpt in the same day, on Monday. I found the outer duster from the SS fig is a lot better than it looks in pictures. I was also on the hunt non stop for a replacement but I think i'll just weather this a bit.

I also found the sosa head is a little small as thecapn says. Shame, but the likeness is fantastic so I am just going to make do and try to get it looking the best I can. I was thinking of making him an Amon-Hen version so he wouldn't have to use that duster which makes the small head more noticeable. Although I can't get my hands on another elven cloak!

As for stuff to upgrade him with, the DID aragorn has nice weapons, especially the small knife which SS didn't include. I dunno if the duster will work as it's a brown suede. The inner tunic and shirt also give you more options. I think that's it off the top of my head.

Could I see the Sosa head?

I think the only thing wrong with the SS Aragorn is the paint job. Everything else is great.

I tend to agree.

Sideshow paint:

viggoaragorn.jpg

GDB repaint:

P1100313.jpg

P1100265.jpg

The Sosa head is nice, but I'm quite pleased with mine as-is.

...now to get a Legolas resculpt...

I just wish the Sosa / red planet toys head wasn't a bit small compared to even hot toys heads, the likeness is 100% perfect but the small head takes away from it unfortunately. It helps if you take the duster off the figure but that's Aragorn's best look for me.

One thing i've learnt with customs is, nothings ever perfect :lol

My Legolas and Aragorn customs are well on the way to being finished!

I tend to agree.

Sideshow paint:

viggoaragorn.jpg

GDB repaint:

https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a339/maglorsregret/Show%20Your%20Shelves/P1100313.jpg[/

[IMG]https://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a339/maglorsregret/Show%20Your%20Shelves/P1100265.jpg

The Sosa head is nice, but I'm quite pleased with mine as-is.

...now to get a Legolas resculpt...

Who repainted your A head. It looks awesome.

Has anybody already received and painted the RPT Aragorn sculpt?
I'm waiting to see one of those finished and in use!

here's my custom Aragorn. Repainted, a bit of resculpting with the bangs and added a bit of facial hair under the bottom lip and greatly weathered up. also repainted the Duster coat, hand made an new movie accurate forearm patch, and added the jewel/stone at the end of his quiver belt.
A3.jpg

A6.jpg

A4.jpg

A7.jpg

A2.jpg

A8.jpg

Last edited:
Aragorn looks great!

But I have one question: Is Frodo planing on clobbering someone with the Phial of Galadriel, or does he just like to hod it upside-down for shiggles? :huh

Back