"IF" Hot Toys did LOTR

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoodonit00

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
With the recent announcement of Hot Toys getting the Raiders Of The Lost Ark license and possibly Star Wars, anyone think there would be a possibility of Hot Toys trying LOTR? All of the movies were megamillion box office smashes with a loyal following. Also, the other lines are ones SST already released. Would you all buy them? Raiders does nothing for me, Star Wars, maybe maybe not, but LOTR would be a dream come true.:pray: I would unload my SST ones in a heartbeat.

Yeah, I doubt we'll see HT LOTR. It's too European to grab Asian audiences in numbers that would warrant revitalizing the line. I wish I wishI wish, but I'd be really surprised to see this happen.

"If" Hot Toys were to pick up the LOTR license, I would be all over the figures that they might produce. I know that their track record with "incomplete" lines is just as spotty as Sideshow's, but an Aragorn in the hands of their sculptors and clothing engineers would be too good to pass up. We already know that they worked on the Hobbit bodies too. This is some nice wishful thinking.

I think that with the Hobbit coming, it's more likely we'll see figures from that, but you never know...

If Hot Toys does figures from the Hobbit and they do well enough, I could see them doing a few from LOTR as well.

I think I read somewhere that LOTR isn't very popular in Asia....Would love Hot Toys orcs though

I don't know about that... I was in Korea when the first movie came out, it was pretty popular. I remember the bookstores were crammed with Korean language versions of the books, and lots of people were reading them at the time.

I'm sure it's as popular as, say, the Watchmen or the Spirit...

Sideshow was and remains the right company to do this, but they have become crippling addicted to ____ing polystone.

HT has three licences it has shown extended love to: Terminator, Predator and Iron Man. Oh yeah...and Michael Jackson. So Wacko aside, mech-shoot 'em up seems to be more their interest zone.

And HT is not all that:

Their skin tone is still poor on ethnic Europeans. HT skin tones look good in flash photography but not in person in natural light. Hold up a "Caucasian" female TT to an actual Caucasian female and see what I mean.

HT has absolutely no sense of committing to or completing a line. The fact they did not even do Rorschach from Watchmen captures their attitude perfectly well.

And to those who think HT walks on water, where are the Avatar figures ?

HT has absolutely no sense of committing to or completing a line. The fact they did not even do Rorschach from Watchmen captures their attitude perfectly well.

They've shown a remarkable knack for being able to follow the carrot, and that pretty much defines their business model.

The fact that Hot Toys would likely not make a complete line for LOTR would be a given going into any buying experience, at least for me. An Aragorn from Hot Toys would be amazing, and would be a fine stand alone figure. I would be bummed if they made Aragorn, Legolas and someone out of left field, like Wormtongue, but if they only made a handful of heroes, I would be fine with that. The quality with Hot Toys is just that good.

Other manufacturers (cough*Sideshow*cough) make claims and suggestions that a line will be broader than it ever might truly be, and that is when disappointment sets in.

They've shown a remarkable knack for being able to follow the carrot, and that pretty much defines their business model.

The carrot being:
Prince of Persia
The Expendables
The Spirit
Clash of the Titans
Ghostrider
Blade 3

Edit: And the now...Tron

They need to learn that the best licences are established ones for a premium collectible. I am still upset we never got any more POTA figures or a Martian female from Mars Attacks.

Atleast they try.

True, they do try, and I don't fault them for that. I guess I would have more respect for manufacturers that are more straightforward when a line fizzles, instead of non-committal responses or snarky remarks about the lack of customer support. If a line is closed down by a manufacturer, I would imagine that they would engender a lot more good will if they stated that the economy/sales of the line didn't support continued production, and if market research shows that to change, they might reconsider down the line.

True, they do try, and I don't fault them for that.

Except wasting their limited production and artistic abilities on unproven, hyped 'summer/x-mas movie' properties, most of whom fail to generate any long term interest, detracts from solid properties.

I guess I would have more respect for manufacturers that are more straightforward when a line fizzles, instead of non-committal responses or snarky remarks about the lack of customer support.

Sideshow's attitude does not help, especially when their real goal is to push more expensive polystone items (with a higher profit margin).

But Hot Toys is a black box.

The carrot being:
Prince of Persia
The Expendables
The Spirit
Clash of the Titans
Ghostrider
Blade 3

Edit: And the now...Tron

They need to learn that the best licences are established ones for a premium collectible. I am still upset we never got any more POTA figures or a Martian female from Mars Attacks.

No kidding. Some of those licenses were odd choices, to be sure. I'm sure that when the Hobbit movies come out, they could make at least as much as they did on figures from the above list - and probably a LOT more.

Back