HBO's Game of Thrones

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batty

Nexus 6
Reaction score
I just saw the new trailer for this. It looks amazing.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/atFX6keD95o?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/atFX6keD95o?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/eNhgIjyEock?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/eNhgIjyEock?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited:
This looks good. What are the names of the books?

BadMoon, the books are part of the series called A Song of Ice and Fire (ASOIAF) written by George RR Martin. There are supposed to be a total of 7 - 8 books in the series with 4 already released.

Book 1 - A Game of Thrones
Book 2 - A Clash of Kings
Book 3 - A Storm of Swords - my favorite!
Book 4 - A Feast for Crows

GRRM has been writing Book 5 - A Dance with Dragons for about 5 years now, so hopefully it will be released late next year sometime. The books are epic in scope and mix some magic with a lot of deception, intrigue, backstabbing, swords, etc. Highly recommended series. I've re-read the series several times waiting for the next new book to be released.

I haven't read the books. I want to go in not knowing.

I'm the same way... although I will likely check out the books after the series airs.

The previews so far look great, HBO does some seriously great work. I don't like all of their shows, but the quality is undeniable.

BadMoon, the books are part of the series called A Song of Ice and Fire (ASOIAF) written by George RR Martin. There are supposed to be a total of 7 - 8 books in the series with 4 already released.

Book 1 - A Game of Thrones
Book 2 - A Clash of Kings
Book 3 - A Storm of Swords - my favorite!
Book 4 - A Feast for Crows

GRRM has been writing Book 5 - A Dance with Dragons for about 5 years now, so hopefully it will be released late next year sometime. The books are epic in scope and mix some magic with a lot of deception, intrigue, backstabbing, swords, etc. Highly recommended series. I've re-read the series several times waiting for the next new book to be released.

Thank you very much! :duff

I've been following the development of this series since it was just a rumor a few years back and am completely blown away by every new bit of footage or photo released. Check out the high resolution photos from the set to see just how much detail and care is going into this production:

https://www.makinggameofthrones.com/production-diary/2010/11/26/high-resolution-ew-photos.html

I discovered the book series about 10 years ago and am currently on my third re-read in anticipation of the show's premiere. These books were an extremely pleasant surprise after reading a bunch of cliched LOTR knock-offs back in the day. The characters are all painted in shades of grey, with no clear white knights or one-note baddies. As Mister Ski already mentioned, the story is very grim, full of political maneuvering (hence the Game of Thrones), betrayal, civil war, lust, death, and plenty of violence. There are some supernatural elements, but it's a slow burn initially as most of the world believes magic is long dead. I can't recommend the books enough.

If the show remains faithful to the source material (and it looks like it does), then we are in for an amazing ride.

I've been following the development of this series since it was just a rumor a few years back and am completely blown away by every new bit of footage or photo released. Check out the high resolution photos from the set to see just how much detail and care is going into this production:

https://www.makinggameofthrones.com/production-diary/2010/11/26/high-resolution-ew-photos.html

I discovered the book series about 10 years ago and am currently on my third re-read in anticipation of the show's premiere. These books were an extremely pleasant surprise after reading a bunch of cliched LOTR knock-offs back in the day. The characters are all painted in shades of grey, with no clear white knights or one-note baddies. As Mister Ski already mentioned, the story is very grim, full of political maneuvering (hence the Game of Thrones), betrayal, civil war, lust, death, and plenty of violence. There are some supernatural elements, but it's a slow burn initially as most of the world believes magic is long dead. I can't recommend the books enough.

If the show remains faithful to the source material (and it looks like it does), then we are in for an amazing ride.

:goodpost:I agree 100%

Back in the 90's, I had started the Wheel of Time series and was looking for a book/series to tide me over until the next WoT book came out. This is where The Game of Thrones comes in. Once I started reading this book, I was hooked! In fact, it was so good that I never went back to WoT which was too drawn out and slow for my tastes. The thing I like best about the ASOIAF books is that each chapter is told from a different character's point of view (POV), which is a great device that gives you so much more insight into the thinking, motivations, etc of each character. There are characters that you will absolutely hate when viewed through someone else's POV but then will like when seen through their own POV and vice versa. Great series that I cannot say enough good things about.:lecture

I'll read the books at somepoint but am really looking forward to this show. I think it will be quite amazing actually.

HBO just aired a new 10+ minute "Inside Game of Thrones" preview. As a huge fan of the books, my mind is completely, utterly blown.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/-EVKp5nYxyI?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/-EVKp5nYxyI?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Everything HBO is doing with this production just looks incredible. The wait until spring 2011 is gonna be a long one...

Last edited:
This looks really good. Based on the snippets they show, it looks like they have already filmed a good part, if not all, of the first book. I read that each season will cover one book.

This looks really good. Based on the snippets they show, it looks like they have already filmed a good part, if not all, of the first book. I read that each season will cover one book.

Yeah, the plan is one season per book. Hopefully Game of Thrones will be a huge success for HBO and we'll be able to see it through to the end. Of course that's assuming George R. R. Martin actually finishes the books before HBO catches up to him...

Yeah, the plan is one season per book. Hopefully Game of Thrones will be a huge success for HBO and we'll be able to see it through to the end. Of course that's assuming George R. R. Martin actually finishes the books before HBO catches up to him...

No joke. We have been waiting for A Dance with Dragons for 5 years now.

I have this book on my wishlist. I had no clue it was such a long wait between books... I'm not sure if I want to start now or wait 20 years for the series to be finished. :lol Hopefully the series will be good and I can just watch that to catch me up when a new book comes out in lieu of re-reading them. I have a hard enough time remembering what happens in the previous book in a series with only a year between each release. :lol

Bumping this thread since it looks to be pretty close:

Since I don't get HBO, I'll have to get the book. How many episodes will be in the series?

Back