The Walking Dead

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Utah

I learned to hate you in the last 10 years
CF Supporter
Reaction score
I know I am not the only one that would like to see some figures from this show. The thing is, I would get them from the comic too. The artwork is so rich that I would lap it up. Now I doubt Hot Toys would make them, Sideshow might with their track record of zombie merchandise.

Just throwing in my two cents.

Last edited:
Yes, please. A Rick Grimes PF, with bicycle 1/2 zombie girl as the exclusive, would kick all sorts of ass.

girl-zombie-The-Walking-Dead-AMC-la-10-25-10.jpg

Good comic, good TV show, but to me, these characters are just a bunch of generic civilians. The attractive part of this license would be the zombies, which don't need to be license-specific. And Sideshow went there of course, but the Dead line didn't succeed apparently. So, I don't see Sideshow going after this.

Dear SSC,

Success does not always need to be measured by "Star Wars" levels.

If you fear that a new line of obscure collectibles would take away from the spending budget of collectors buying the cash cow lines such as Star Wars, I suggest marketing yourselves to new people and increasing your customer base to a level that can handle more than 2 or 3 lines of 1/6 scale figures.

The failure to sell Disney products is a telltale sign that you are not expanding your reach via marketing very strongly. In all honesty I thought that you guys would knock DISNEY so out of the ball park that it would open your pocket book back up to doing these sorts of obscure lines, but the fact you didn't milk DISNEY for all its worth was really troubline. If I was you guys I would have had a huge marketing push on your Disney products, used that as a means to get people familiar with your company so that they might buy other products. When the Evil Queen was announced at such a small run AND YOU STILL TOOK A LONG TIME TO SELL OUT that was a sign that your company needs to hire a marketing firm or something.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd only pick these up in polystone form. No plastic crapticulation for me, please. :wave

However, with that being said, I see no reason SS couldn't cater to both crowds. No need to pick one or the other when they could produce the best of both worlds. :1-1:

Dear SSC,

Success does not always need to be measured by "Star Wars" levels.

If you fear that a new line of obscure collectibles would take away from the spending budget of collectors buying the cash cow lines such as Star Wars, I suggest marketing yourselves to new people and increasing your customer base to a level that can handle more than 2 or 3 lines of 1/6 scale figures.

The failure to sell Disney products is a telltale sign that you are not expanding your reach via marketing very strongly. In all honesty I thought that you guys would knock DISNEY so out of the ball park that it would open your pocket book back up to doing these sorts of obscure lines, but the fact you didn't milk DISNEY for all its worth was really troubline. If I was you guys I would have had a huge marketing push on your Disney products, used that as a means to get people familiar with your company so that they might buy other products. When the Evil Queen was announced at such a small run AND YOU STILL TOOK A LONG TIME TO SELL OUT that was a sign that your company needs to hire a marketing firm or something.

:lecture

Sideshow has completely lost touch with the fan base. Abandoning all the small cult licenses that made you the company you are today inlight of pushing out Marvel and Star Wars like 40 other already existing typical no name companies does not make you stand out. It makes you the same uninteresting out to milk the cash cow _______s we know and hate.

Add to this the lack of the ability to always improve your products quality via paint etc and evolve with the market and you get a stagnant company making the same Darth Vader cookie jar for the 30th time.

I would like to see some more of The Dead or figures from The Walking Dead. These would be awesome together IMO and I'd be down for buying some.

Now, I will say just because SS pushes Marvel and SW doesn't mean they're not connected to the fans. Thats about as inaccurate as you can get.

Surely, they are targeting a different fanbase than they were with, say, Buffy and horror stuff. But really, I don't think they mind losing those niche customers if they gain several thousand folks who just want statues of busty female cartoon characters wearing lingerie and half-Darth Maul/half-horse cyborgs.

Ties in with their strategy of using Twitter and Facebook to announce Spooktacular contests. They'll wear their "sell-out" badges proudly as they laugh all the way to the bank.

I would like to see some Walking Dead statues as well. Just throwing that out there. :)

Now, I will say just because SS pushes Marvel and SW doesn't mean they're not connected to the fans. Thats about as inaccurate as you can get.

Really? The whole Facebook and Twitter deal with Spook sure begged to differ. Even you admitted that it seemed somewhat superficial this year. :huh

Surely, they are targeting a different fanbase than they were with, say, Buffy and horror stuff. But really, I don't think they mind losing those niche customers if they gain several thousand folks who just want statues of busty female cartoon characters wearing lingerie and half-Darth Maul/half-horse cyborgs.

Ties in with their strategy of using Twitter and Facebook to announce Spooktacular contests. They'll wear their "sell-out" badges proudly as they laugh all the way to the bank.

They want to gain as many customers as they can buying their products. I don't believe they're looking to lose anyone persay and I don't think its wrong to collect those type of pieces.

Really? The whole Facebook and Twitter deal with Spook sure begged to differ. Even you admitted that it seemed somewhat superficial this year. :huh

I agree Spook wasn't the best it could have been. However, as a whole I don't think because they sell and develop a lot of SW and Marvel stuff means they're disconnected from their fans.

There's nothing wrong with targeting SW fans. I wouldn't be collecting SSC without being introduced to it via SW. But they can't make all their business decisions with expectations of SW profits (which I think they are guilty of).

I'm just making these numbers up here, but I think the jist is accurate.

SSC went from making obscure toys for fans of things like Civil War, Buffy, Highlander, Bond, X-Files, etc and they were succeeding. Granted maybe their Return on Investment (ROI) is 8%. They weren't blowing their ownership away, but the company was alive.

Introduce SW to the mix. ROI for SW product shoots up to 15%.

All of a sudden, ownership starts realizing that the more SW they put out and the less of everything else, then the company average ROI across the board goes up.

SSC cancels all the smaller lines, they also realize that the investment in cool lines like LOTR is too much. Cancel that one too (never mind that LOTR still out sold every line except SW, it just wasn't SW).

So SSC suddenly has a new benchmark. 15% ROI on all products. PERIOD.

So they shove out possibly their worst products they've made since who nows how long: Shaun and Ed. The demand is expected to be low so they bump up the price to $60 and bump down the quality, in order to keep that 15% ROI. And of course the people pass on overpriced garbage...and SSC just assumes people don't want those kind of lines, so they continue with SW.

The company succeeded a long time without SW. I don't know why SW had to drown all their products out. I'm just talking 12" figs here.

Do I want SSC to do this? Absolutely, this is right up the ol' Sideshow alley of obscure licenses that no one would think of (even though the show is amazingly popular but follow me) Will they? Probably not. SSC is playing it safe going with surefire sellers like Marvel, Star Wars, etc. Whenever they go after other smaller licenses we've seen it abandoned and left behind because it didn't reach that magic number of sellability.

If this was Sideshow 10 years I would say its a great chance, right now? I seriously doubt its likelihood.

There's nothing wrong with targeting SW fans. I wouldn't be collecting SSC without being introduced to it via SW. But they can't make all their business decisions with expectations of SW profits (which I think they are guilty of).

I'm just making these numbers up here, but I think the jist is accurate.

SSC went from making obscure toys for fans of things like Civil War, Buffy, Highlander, Bond, X-Files, etc and they were succeeding. Granted maybe their Return on Investment (ROI) is 8%. They weren't blowing their ownership away, but the company was alive.

Introduce SW to the mix. ROI for SW product shoots up to 15%.

All of a sudden, ownership starts realizing that the more SW they put out and the less of everything else, then the company average ROI across the board goes up.

SSC cancels all the smaller lines, they also realize that the investment in cool lines like LOTR is too much. Cancel that one too (never mind that LOTR still out sold every line except SW, it just wasn't SW).

So SSC suddenly has a new benchmark. 15% ROI on all products. PERIOD.

So they shove out possibly their worst products they've made since who nows how long: Shaun and Ed. The demand is expected to be low so they bump up the price to $60 and bump down the quality, in order to keep that 15% ROI. And of course the people pass on overpriced garbage...and SSC just assumes people don't want those kind of lines, so they continue with SW.

The company succeeded a long time without SW. I don't know why SW had to drown all their products out. I'm just talking 12" figs here.

Oh I don't think they expect everything to be SW. Thats not what I've felt they feel when talking about lines at Comic-Con. So I dont think the rest of your post is correct for that reasons. Now, I do think they expect a certain level of profit and demand for lines. If they don't meet that then they get cut. That does sometimes falls on many reasons.

Back