"The Names Dredd , Joe Dredd "

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thundergod

Super Freak
Reaction score
This is a custom I've been mulling over for quite a while , but it was another forum member ( ey oop Crimsonbob ), who finally inspired me to give it a go . I used the old Horizon vinyl kit and simply cut off the head , shoulder pads , knee and elbow pads ,hands ,feet , belt and badge . ( This was quite a leap of faith for me as the model is quite rare now and also one of my favourite figure kits!) .

030-1.jpg

As I had a spare Sideshow Trooper body knocking about , I thought I'd put it to good use , the bodies thin build being perfect for Dredd's lanky physique . A spot of "Dremmelling" later and the parts fit pretty good , though the kit's boots weren't really suitable due to their pose . ( I'd originally planned not to use the kit's hands , but they looked so good it seemed a shame not to ). I ended up modifying a pair of Hasbro boots, cutting them down to size and adding the kit part detail .

034.jpg

Now I'm waiting for the arrival of a custom spandex bodysuit , but in the meantime I need to scratchbuild a lawgiver , finish up the boots and give Joe a neck !

036.jpg

035.jpg

032.jpg

To be continued............

Nice work. I love Judge Dredd. Now that 3A has the 2000AD Comic license there are rumors of Dredd figures. It would save less talented people like me the frustration of trying to kitbash a decent figure.

He looks freaky...I dont think that was the right body to use. That's beyond lanky.

You should use a True Type Narrow shoulder.

He looks freaky...I dont think that was the right body to use. That's beyond lanky.

I'm with Celtic.....he looks weird.

U got the head going...but the body is no good.

Um...but keep up the good work ....I suppose. :dunno

Well , you have to bear in mind that ;
a) I haven't yet added the neck ,
b) The elbow and knee pads are not in the correct position ,
c) Once the bodysuit is on , it'll add bulk ,
d) Check out the artwork of Alan Davis .

Apart from that , fair comment .:lol

Well , you have to bear in mind that ;
a) I haven't yet added the neck ,
b) The elbow and knee pads are not in the correct position ,
c) Once the bodysuit is on , it'll add bulk ,
d) Check out the artwork of Alan Davis .

Apart from that , fair comment .:lol

Yeah, definitely needs the suit to add some bulk, right now he's more Judge Death lanky...

Great start though, looking forward to seeing the end result

Wow , that leather outfit and belt is outstanding !
One strange thing is that I have the exact same gloves and boots and was planning to use them before I decided on a different direction . The gun is the business as well , I need to decide on which mark of Lawgiver I need to make . ( The kit part is long gone ). Nice one Elvis , if my version turns out half as good I'll be satisfied .:clap

Hi m8 i like the straight out of the comic book look. I tried for a more lifelike hot toys approach with mine so it fits in with my collection.

I made the newer version of lawgiver so i still have the old 1 which i made a handle for and painted if you want it. You can see it here on my 1st attempt at making dredd before i i put him on a hot toys blade body, resculpted the eagle head, added another row of feathers , made a new gun, real chain, truncheon, Prajii gloves from dorgs and repainted him again.

DSC00633.jpg

I can also sort you some chain for the badge which you can see on the updated version which i will 1 day get a leather bodysuit for.

p1010622r.jpg

p1010624g.jpg

Anyway if you want the original version lawgiver, some chain and maybe some pleather if you want to make the belt flexible let me know :peace

Last edited:
Cheers CBob , I'm o.k for the gun as I've found the original and have decided it's a little weedy , so I'm going to knock up something chunky ( matron!) instead . I wouldn't say no to some chain though . I hope you know that it was seeing your Dredd(s) that gave me the inspiration to have a go at mine . ( So yes , it's all your fault!) I'm also glad that you appreciate the fact that I'm going for a "comic" rather than "real- life" look ! And the artist being Brian Bolland , NOT Alan Davis , as I said above .( When being a smart-arse it helps to get your facts right !):slap

Yeah i'd like to see a nice comic version made 1/6 out of that kit. For me the gloves and headsculpt were all too small so a much skinnier body like the SS one will do the job nicely. Pad him out a bit and with the bodysuit he should look ace :peace

Cheers Bob , I think I'm sorted for chain now as The Wife let me have a root about and I've found something pretty close . I have another problem now though . While sorting out some stuff , I've discovered parts of an old 1/6 motorcycle . I think you can probably guess the rest . ( That ol' slippery slope is calling again !):gah:

Oh lordie, well tbh ive considered it myself but i think i'd need some wheels off an old action man tank or something :lol

Well , that's the thing really . It all hangs on getting the right wheels . I reckon some off a kiddie's toy truck or something . The annoying thing is that I had to clear out my shed two weeks ago as the high wind took off my roof and the subsequent rain got in and soaked the majority of it's contents . Unfortunately , this included loads of modelling stuff, paints , tools and spare junk ( you know what it's like being a hoarder !) Amongst this stuff were some old R.C lorries and diggers . Yeah , with big chunky wheels . Loads of 'em . Of course it all went to the tip .:gah:

Back