where do you buy your display cases?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quiggle

Super Freak
Reaction score
can some of you recommend some sites/stores that sell display cases for your items? also, is it better to get UV protected glass, and how thich should the case be? thanks!

nintendooutragedancers.gif

i custom built mine, but i think Ikea is the popular choice here. as far as price goes, there's no point in going cheap if you're displaying high-end collectibles. and uv-protected glass shouldn't be an issue if your display is out of direct sunlight anyway.

Getting them custom built from clear acrylic is a good move if you don't want the tower look of Ikea detolfs. You can use UV-filter acrylic, not sure how good this is, but like prefused says... I'd keep them out of direct sunlight anyway.

I use 900x280mm floating shelves with a bottomless/backless 3mm acrylic box perched on top. I don't worry about sealing the edges, but some beading would give a good seal.

Each box cost me 100 bucks, but if I lived in a big city I'm sure it'd be a lot cheaper than this.

ikea for me. Just make sure there's one nearby. The bestas I just got had to be shipped and it wasn't pretty, price wise.

i custom built mine, but i think Ikea is the popular choice here. as far as price goes, there's no point in going cheap if you're displaying high-end collectibles. and uv-protected glass shouldn't be an issue if your display is out of direct sunlight anyway.

:goodpost:

I would love to see your custom shelves.

If you don't live near an Ikea, Detolfs are much cheaper shipped from eBay than Ikea's website. Just FYI.

More info. about the custom shelves would be appreciated. Where do you buy the material? Lowes/Home Depot? Does it require lots of manual work, or can you buy all the component parts and put them together fairly easily?

If you don't live near an Ikea, Detolfs are much cheaper shipped from eBay than Ikea's website. Just FYI.

More info. about the custom shelves would be appreciated. Where do you buy the material? Lowes/Home Depot? Does it require lots of manual work, or can you buy all the component parts and put them together fairly easily?
i got most of the materials at Home Depot. they sell some decent shelving kits and acrylic panels. and i special ordered some pedestals from a place that makes them for museums. it requires as much work as you're willing to put into it, which depends on how big you're going. and obviously you don't want to go cheap on materials. but i'm an engineer, so designing and building it wasn't difficult for me. your mileage my vary.

if it's too much of a hassle, a google search for "museum quality displays" turns up plenty of resources. just don't expect to spend less than several hundred $$ on the low end +crazy shipping. but if we're talking about high-end collectibles, it's worth every penny.

Where do you guys buy your Acrylic display Cases?I have a Maquette coming that doesn't fit in a detolf so im planning on displaying it on a Table,but i hate dust so...

great thanks again everyone I was looking at Detolfs but after measuring dimensions I am not sure it will fit a 20" tall item, for taller pieces are there stores/sites you use thanks!

i got most of the materials at Home Depot. they sell some decent shelving kits and acrylic panels. and i special ordered some pedestals from a place that makes them for museums. it requires as much work as you're willing to put into it, which depends on how big you're going. and obviously you don't want to go cheap on materials. but i'm an engineer, so designing and building it wasn't difficult for me. your mileage my vary.

if it's too much of a hassle, a google search for "museum quality displays" turns up plenty of resources. just don't expect to spend less than several hundred $$ on the low end +crazy shipping. but if we're talking about high-end collectibles, it's worth every penny.
Thanks for the response. I will check Home Depot out. But for my purposes, finding a cheap Curio cabinet from Craigslist might be the best option.

Back