Mattel/DC figure residue...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batman79

Super Freak
Reaction score
I've been meaning to ask this for awhile but kept forgetting to take the pics. As I have been going through my collection recently, I've been getting frustrated. I've been finding some cool Mattel DC figures that I bought with this problem (please see pics below) I've tried cleaning them with plain water and a little soap for the residue to only reappear. It seems to me that it's the low grade of plastic used. I'm curious how many other people have experienced this problem? Besides investing in new versions (that potentially will have the same problem) has anyone found a solution?

Last edited:
Re: Mattel/Dc figure residue...

It's been in a cool, dry, temperature controlled house and no other figures have been affected. Also please notice it's only some parts that are affected.

Last edited:

Thats odd. My kids has had the question fig for a while, and it looks perfect. .Maybe the place you stored it in

Agreed :) I've seen vintage Mattel toys that haven't had that problem.

No, it's not just you Batman79. Almost ALL of my Movie Masters (and DCUC) MOC and loose are developing that grey "dust" or residue. It's like a powder or something. It scratches off but then comes right back.

Yep, it's a sign of inferior plastic, IIRC. The problem has afflicted a bunch of my Mattel DCSH figures, as well as several of the early waves of DCUC (Nightwing, Deathstroke, Green Lantern/Hal, Sinestro and Robin from Wave 3 in particular). While it wipes of easily enough, eventually it comes back. Pretty annoying.

No, it's not just you Batman79. Almost ALL of my Movie Masters (and DCUC) MOC and loose are developing that grey "dust" or residue. It's like a powder or something. It scratches off but then comes right back.

Interesting. I'll have to take a look at my Movie Masters in storage....:eek:

I've seen this happen to packaged DCU figures as well. As DiFabio said you can clean it off but it will likely come back.

Thanks for the info. I had a feeling it wasn't just me. I have a lot of different figures and have only seen it manifest in my Mattel DC/DCU figures. I've never seen it on any of my older figures. I'm especially glad not to see on my 25th stuff from Hasbro as they are a softer plastic like these. Sadly I've tried the wipe option only for it to return. Has anyone ever tried painting them to seal the residue in?

I have complete sets of Batman Animated, Batman/Robin, and JLU figs and there are certain figures that do get filmy--most from the Kenner Animated line. I think it's just the cheap soft plastic "sweating" for lack of a better term. My Animated Two-face is tacky on the light green part of the suit, but not the black side. :lol

I have complete sets of Batman Animated, Batman/Robin, and JLU figs and there are certain figures that do get filmy--most from the Kenner Animated line. I think it's just the cheap soft plastic "sweating" for lack of a better term. My Animated Two-face is tacky on the light green part of the suit, but not the black side. :lol

Hmm. I literally have TONS of Kenner Batman product, with multiples of each and I haven't had this problem.

Off the top of my head I think I have one "greasy" Combat Belt Batman, a Mr. Freeze and maybe a few others. That's it. They're reaching 20 years soon too.

This mattel thing is much different. These figures aren't more than 2 years old and they're already showing signs of deterioration. If any thing I'd say that the plastic Kenner used is stronger and better than this modern stuff.

I know that tackiness you're talking about but I'd say it's happened to about 5% of my collection and I have a lot of figures from that era. These Movie Masters/DCU, Mattel etc.? Almost all of them have this grey stuff and even grease coming out of the joints.

Hmm. I literally have TONS of Kenner Batman product, with multiples of each and I haven't had this problem.

Off the top of my head I think I have one "greasy" Combat Belt Batman, a Mr. Freeze and maybe a few others. That's it. They're reaching 20 years soon too.

This mattel thing is much different. These figures aren't more than 2 years old and they're already showing signs of deterioration. If any thing I'd say that the plastic Kenner used is stronger and better than this modern stuff.

I know that tackiness you're talking about but I'd say it's happened to about 5% of my collection and I have a lot of figures from that era. These Movie Masters/DCU, Mattel etc.? Almost all of them have this grey stuff and even grease coming out of the joints.

I also have an almost complete collection of the animated series figures and have had do problems with them.

For loose figures, use 303 Aerospace Protectant (I learned about it on this forum,) to get rid of the residue, and it works GREAT.

Back