Jack Sparrow PF review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
I've been waiting for the Jack Sparrow Premium Format statue for a long time - and now it's here! The paint work is not all that it could be, especially at a $300 price point, but there are some other pretty cool features that at least help make up for any shortcomings.

You can find the review at the usual:

https://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading, and have a great weekend!

Michael
MWC

Glad you called out the paint. I've been watching the thread in the Disney section for a while, and it seems like a lot of people are oblivious about the face. It's just off.

When Sideshow announced this, I was afraid it'd be my first PF, but then they showed it off, and it just didn't look right. . . and it never got better. I would've thought they'd make his head band cloth. It looks goofy. As though it's caught in a slight breeze.

There are just too many things slightly off about it to make it a good piece.

That sculpt looks pretty darn good, but the expression is just a little too serious for the static pose, and there are no two ways around it, that paint is nasty, especially the beard + tash!

There are a lot of positives than negatives to this; which, still makes it an impressive piece. Thanks for the great review. It was enjoyable to read your thoughts on this.

At $300 and that scale, the paint should be better.

Not worth the price, IMO.

When it comes to Jack Sparrow, the face features are important - I'm sure it's the paint more than the sculpt, but it doesn't look as much like Depp as it should, and it's lacking a decent facial expression to boot.

I agree with the paint apps, I got the figure and the paint sucks. I'm sure a re-paint would look awesome. Sculpt is there.

Paint does seem to be the problem on this one... and just in general the big issue for Sideshow.

Hope the upcoming PF's with the new techniques will improve the overall look.

I said I didnt like the paint in the Disney thread and some folks there are saying its on par with Gandalf. I dont see how thats possible, even in the best pics of him I think the paint looks bad, far far far from Gandalf quality. From the neck down this is an amazing PF, but as usual Sideshow has lazy paints. Oh well.

As far as I'm concerned a $300 PF should be 99% about character/actor likeness... (when it's allowed) and this is just too far off. The base and outfit are outstanding, but withthout the head?

PS
I'm only sounding off cos this is one I quite fancied... but I'll remain more than content with my reg + canibal HT Jack's

Yep, the paint is off...but I gotta tell you, the longer I have this one the more I like it. I haven't got a shelf for him yet, but he's sitting on my bar right now and looks great. I wish it was better, but I'm still pretty damn happy.

I have this sitting on my table for now, and its also growing on me. I hate the thick paint but its an awesome piece. The likeness and attitide are there. Lovin it.

I'm glad I didn't get this now, I was hum & haring over which to get, this or the Gandalf the Grey Pf, I ended up getting the later just because I all ready own the Hot Toys Jack. The paint isn't quite good enough and the eyes seem a little bit off to me. Shame cause this could of been amazing.

Sorry but this pictures of CToys are horribles :(

For me the paint job is pretty nice! And it's the best representation of Jack Sparrow .

Hot Toys remains the best representation of Jack Sparrow as far as companies, followed probably NECA's 18", which is better than Sideshow's PF. IMO.

I wouldn't say that mine is painted perfectly; but it certainly doesn't have a glossy/plastic look either. From what I can tell the facial hair is painted a bit better too.

2jcf0bm.jpg

ridny1.jpg

I wouldn't be too happy if mine were so shiny either.

:dunno

Back