Thrawn repaints?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KillingYouGuy

Super Freak
Reaction score
I finally got Thrawn when he went on steep discount at Hastings, but his coloration just seems way off to me. The hair with the blue highlights looks terrible to me so I am going to try my hand at a repaint. This is the first time I have felt it necessary to do so due to bad paint from a SST release. Has anyone repainted the sculpt and if so could we get some pics and pointers? I looked all over on the board for them, but came up empty handed so sorry if this has already been covered. Also, the outfit on mine has a different white for the pants VS. the jacket - is that normal?

Are you able to color him to make a different character? That would be your best bet :p

LOL, no I think that giant noggin would only fit in with Thrawn. I get the point though, I am not crazy about the character either but I read the trilogy and got it for $40 So I said why not?

If i could afford to buy him (i'd only get the exclusive version or not at all) i'd do a repaint...a serious repaint. Having seen him up close i did notice a complete lack of definition in the skin tone (its just molded plastic!) so he needs a serious tonal shift done to make him look "real"....

If i could afford to buy him (i'd only get the exclusive version or not at all) i'd do a repaint...a serious repaint. Having seen him up close i did notice a complete lack of definition in the skin tone (its just molded plastic!) so he needs a serious tonal shift done to make him look "real"....

I couldn't see myself dedicating that much room for him and his throne, but the repaint seems almost necessary especially with the figure in hand.

I did a repaint, but it's of a different head.

Any interest in Andy Garcia as Thrawn? :D

P3100141.jpg

I did a repaint, but it's of a different head.

Any interest in Andy Garcia as Thrawn? :D

P3100141.jpg

OK - I do remember this one because you created the rather effective glowing look with the slight overlay of red on the surrounding eye areas. Its a great job, does look like Garcia but its a better sculpt overall.

I used a different sculpt to. I'm not as good as Mike but it came out o.k. And Mike looks great as always.

S8000198.jpg

S8000200.jpg

No worries Mike, in a year or so he will be going for those prices across the board I would imagine. You can already get Anakin clone war exclusive for like $60...

ORLY? I might have to go get Ani for that price...

I always liked the Storm Shadow sculpt and it looks great as Thrawn - nicely done, the expression fits the character.

no, it really doesn't.
In the books Thrawn is depicted as ALLWAYS calm, and nearly unshakable. The face works as Thrawn, but the Expression is about as wrong as you can get for him.

aside from that, the repaint looks nice. But thrawn's the kind of person who wouldn't even bat an eye if you slapped him, he'd simply point, and Rhuuk would disembolwel you.

Yeah, that is the beauty of opinions, we all have them, IMO (in my OPINION) Thrawn is an Alien, not a person so he shouldn't look like a human and this sculpt works for ME because IMO it looks like he is simply in thought...

Yeah, that is the beauty of opinions, we all have them, IMO (in my OPINION) Thrawn is an Alien, not a person so he shouldn't look like a human and this sculpt works for ME because IMO it looks like he is simply in thought...

This would make sense if he hadn't been painted on the book cover. :huh

Not sure what you mean Nam, what was painted on the cover(?), here are a couple of renderings of him. Both look to have a similar expression - not really serene, kind of looks like the SS sculpt to me. Again, paintings, pics, etc. are peoples opinion of what he looks like - he does not exist :cuckoo:. Plus, the Thrawn material is not even considered canon so nobody can claim the de facto look. That was my point - opinions are all we have. Nobody can say "That's not what he looks like!"

tharwn1.png

thrawn2.png
https://img4.imageshack.us/img4/170/thrawn2.png

Not sure what you mean Nam, what was painted on the cover(?), here are a couple of renderings of him. Both look to have a similar expression - not really serene, kind of looks like the SS sculpt to me. Again, paintings, pics, etc. are peoples opinion of what he looks like - he does not exist :cuckoo:. Plus, the Thrawn material is not even considered canon so nobody can claim the de facto look. That was my point - opinions are all we have. Nobody can say "That's not what he looks like!"

tharwn1.png

thrawn2.png

HeirToTheEmpire.jpg
DarkForce_Rising.jpg

tharwn1.png

thrawn2.png

HA! since when?

unless you only count the movies as canon.

Thrawn's Canon enough that his species is making it into TOR.

Beyond that, The novels give a pretty good description of Thrawn, his minimal expressions, if i remember correctly, he smiles once, and his brow furrows once or twice when he's mad, but that's it. They make a big deal out of it due to how rarely he responds in this manner. Thrawn is an alien, and Zhan did a good job of making him Almost human, but alien enough in his responses to seem bizarre. If I had to equate his personality in the books to something else in ANY media, He's Like an Evil Vulcan, and how hard it is to get a feel for his emotional state due to his normally serene expression.

Don't misunderstand, it's Not a bad repaint. It's just it's a very specific expression. one that seems to look rather... angry. As if he's about to explode and scream at someone.
And that's NOT who Thrawn is.

I would like to say that I think the sideshow sculpt, however DOES suffer a bit too much from Bruce Campbell Chin.
book1_if-chins-could-kill01.jpg

Back