Stephen King's THE DARK TOWER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lookin4Precious

Super Freak
Reaction score
Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh....

As one of my all time favorite pieces of fiction, it saddens me to see that Ron Howard and Akiva Goldsman are in charge of bringing this series to the screen (both big and small). Howard's films are text book examples of how a film should look, sound and move, but they are hollow shells devoid of any soul. The last film of his that I enjoyed was probably Willow.

And Goldsman... ugh.

Anyway, here's hoping they pull it out of the park because this is one property I couldn't handle being done the wrong way. The Movie/TV combo is inspired though for sure.

https://www.deadline.com/2010/09/un...s-unprecedented-featurenetwork-tv-adaptation/

Last edited:
Re: Stephan King's THE DARK TOWER

to be honest, I wouldn't this would translate that well on film. Seems like it would be very boring.

Wow, it sounds like he is going to take 3 movies just to cover the first book, plus TV shows in the middle to fill the gaps. I wonder what will happen with the other books.

Given the story I can pretty much guarantee that the movies will be R, and the TV shows may have to air on Cable TV. I will hope they are not, but that is just wishful thinking. If they do it right it could turn out to be awesome.

I love the series. I haven't completely finished it. I started reading the series in Jr High and High School (10+ yrs ago) and mysteriously just stopped reading all together in the middle of the third book. I'm trying to pick them up again and read so I can finish it.

I was just thinking the other day about starting these...just finished The Passage and once I finish the KOTOR series book I'm going to start this, heard good things.

It's nice that this is being done. I really have no feelings either way though as I doubt I'll like the changes they'll have to do to translate it to film.

Roland's prequel story would work well as a TV series but I really don't feel a movie.

I like Ron Howard, but Akiva Goldsman has a knack for dumbing down material.

i could be so much worse.
I think you lucked out getting Howard.... you should be optimistic about this Nancy :monkey1

Nice to hear. Would work better as a HBO type series.

I'm starting to think everything would be better as a HBO/Showtime series....more time to flesh out stories and characters.

I'm starting to think everything would be better as a HBO/Showtime series....more time to flesh out stories and characters.

whatever happened to Preacher? :gah:

Didn't we already get Dark Tower? It was called Lost...

Seriously, Abrams and company had the rights to Dark Tower all tied up with them during the entire run of Lost, then dropped them right at the end. The show borrows heavily from the books, almost so much that it seems to me that they did that specifically to avoid any litigation.

But yea, I'm all up for an adaptation like this. I think there's less to worry about with Howard and Goldsman, and more to worry about with casting - they have to get the perfect people for the four main characters and not screw up the Oy CGI. So who would you cast?

Of course, Roland is the biggest problem. Eastwood in his late 40's, early 50's would have been perfect. But it's tough to find someone with the right level of laid back intensity. Viggo Mortensen maybe?

As much as I hate Tara, I think Rutina Wesley would make a good Susannah. She has the crazy part down.

And not to go back to True Blood, but I can see the guy that plays Jason, Ryan Kwanten, as Eddie with the exception of the blonde hair. He's got the goofy smart ass thing down.

I think Jake would have to be an unknown - there aren't a whole lot of good 12 year old male actors out there right now. Most of the current crop is skewed slightly older into their teens, and that wouldn't work. I'm at a loss on this one...

So who would you choose?

Hugh Jackman = Roland.
Rutina Wesley is a interesting choice for Susannah. I don't like her on the show and I didn't care for Susannah.
Ben Foster = Eddie

I know someone who swore by Jim Caviziel for a young Roland. I don't think he's young enough anymore.

I personally don't watch enough TV or movies to have a good idea of who could play him, but I nominate Clancy Brown for The Man in Black.

Back