Chakaman's customs, mods and repaints

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chakaman

Super Freak
Reaction score
It sure seems like most of you guys are starting or have started your own threads featuring your projects. So after a lot of thinking and a HUGE push from Mark (thanks mate!!:)), I have decided to do the same.

I have a lot of random stuff I am always working on. I figured I could just throw all my stuff/pictures in one thread instead of starting a new thread for every character or project.

I will try to keep this thread going and updated with pictures. I will also be posting a lot of pictures of past customs.

I hope you guys enjoy this thread. I know I am not as talented as many of you on here, I just hope I can inspire others to get into this great hobby. If not for this board and seeing the work of Mark, CBob, Duane and so many others, I probably never would have had the stones to mod a $100 figure. If I can do it, so can you. Plus, I really, really enjoy seeing pictures!! :D

Anyways, here is what I am working on at the moment. I am repainting all of the SSC's Sandtroopers and adding Marmit buckets. I sprayed them all with primer and then flat white. I am using grounded up pastels/chalk instead of paint. I am then sealing them with dullcoat. Here are some work in prigress pictures...

chaka1.jpg

chaka2.jpg

Chaka3.jpg

Mark, thanks again for the Marmit buckets!!

Chris

Looks to be very promising Chaka!

What's the diff between the Sideshow and Marmit buckets? Is one more accurate than the other, is there a size difference or what? I don't see anything outstandingly different at a glance.

And good idea with the pastels/chalk! I don't think I can see it very well on the helmet, the pics seem a little washed out... But it seems like it looks good just from the general impression I get.

Looking forward to seeing more pics! Maybe some in daylight could really show off the pastels on the armor.

Thanks guys. I will take some better pictures tomorrow, there is too much light.

There is quite a difference between the Marmit and SSC helmets. Here is a comparison shot I did before I repainted the second Sandie. The one on the left is my repaint, the right one is SSC's. I thnk the Marmit's look much more accurate.

sandy.jpg

Well hello sailor!! At last the Mighty Chakamn can pop all his stuff in one magnificent thread.
I chat to Chris as much as I can and he is always cooking something up on his little 1/6th stove. He truly is a man of dollies and the skiff master. I can not wait to see this thread grow and grow!!

Lovin the buckets and they look chuffin grand!!

Wow chaka that weatheing looks great, it looks realistic :clap i think i will have to do mine like yours 1 day when i get some pastels/chalk :)

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it.

Ow yes, this thread will have some Skiff Guards in it, dont you worry. :D

Here are a couple of pictures in some different lighting. I actually am going after the subtle, light weathering. Its kinda hard to see in some pics. I just think it is more realistic.

chaka4.jpg

chaka6.jpg

When all three are finished, I will post some better pics.

Okay, I really hate to derail a thread of yours again, but man, you have got to post some pics of your vintage collection at some point. I'd love to see all of that Kenner goodness!!!!

Wow, those new pics really show the weathering off better!

The subtle look is much better. After all, how much sand could a Sandtrooper get stuck to his armor without any sort of glue? :lol

Nice work Chaka.

Chris I'm really glad to see you have your own thread. With all the awesome work you have contributed it is long overdue. Looks like I have a new one to subscribe to.

I have only one request...more pilots!! They have always been my favorite of your offerings.

Keep the updates coming my friend.

Very cool to see that you started your very own thread to spotlight your creations Chris.:clap
This will be added to my list of "commonly checked threads".I'm really looking forward to updates,new postings,or even older projects that I might have missed.

Like unsung,I would really like to see your vintage collection.Just the few glimpses we see in the background of your pics are so taunting,lol.

Thanks guys. I do plan on taking pics of some of my old customs from the last couple of years and putting them in this thread. Yes BR, I will be including my pilots. :D

Okay, the vintage stuff. Like I was telling Mark, I kinda had to move my office to a larger room in my basement. My wife and I are expecting our first child here in a few weeks so I had to turn my office into a playroom a couple months ago. I had to box up all my stuff. I now am happy to say I am in the process of getting all my stuff out and setting up my new office. I will be fillling the walls with vintage carded and getting my boxed stuff out to display.

Anyways, here is some of my stuff....

Couple of my favorite, more rare pieces...Tri Logo Jawa and Boba Fett!!

chaka10.jpg

Just a couple random pics of my room at the moment....

chaka12.jpg

chaka11.jpg

Here are some shots from my setup in my old house a few years ago....

x8-1.jpg

x9-1.jpg

x10-1.jpg

This was stuff I didnt have room to display at the time...

x11.jpg

I hope to get most of this setup in the next month or so. I am not sure though, I am going to have my hands full pretty soon. :D

:google

HOLY COW!!! Great collection man! I really love the framed proof cards, I recently did the same thing with the eight that were offered from the new "vintage" series. I'll trade ya! ;)

Oh, and congrats on the impending child! I have my first on the way in Feb.

Last edited:
:eek
WOW! Chris-I'm totally amazed at your collection.That is f'ing awesome!!!
:bow :bow :bow :bow :bow

Pretty much most of my vintage collection is loose.Only packaged stuff is a set of 12 backs,a few ships & micro collection stuff.
I have over 250 complete figures-100 of them being a complete set plus duplicates(last I recall 50+ stormtroopers)There is maybe 3 or 4 ships & playsets I don't have...& the skiff & A-wing are not 2 of them:wink1:

:google

HOLY COW!!! Great collection man! I really love the framed proof cards, I recently did the same thing with the eight that were offered from the new "vintage" series. I'll trade ya! ;)

Oh, and congrats on the impending child! I have my first on the way in Feb.

Thanks, I am really excited. We are having a boy, I hope he likes to play with Star Wars toys. :D Congratulations to you as well!!

:eek
WOW! Chris-I'm totally amazed at your collection.That is f'ing awesome!!!
:bow :bow :bow :bow :bow

Pretty much most of my vintage collection is loose.Only packaged stuff is a set of 12 backs,a few ships & micro collection stuff.
I have over 250 complete figures-100 of them being a complete set plus duplicates(last I recall 50+ stormtroopers)There is maybe 3 or 4 ships & playsets I don't have...& the skiff & A-wing are not 2 of them:wink1:

Thanks Duane. 50 Stormies?? Man, I would like to see that.

Back