Serenity BDR - Full Review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theguru1

Super Freak
Reaction score
"Click on images for a larger view, all ratings out of 5 stars"

Over the years, there are some TV shows that just keep going a little longer then they should and some that you wonder why they ever got made at all. Then there are those that ended way too soon. Created by Joss Whedon, the man behind Buffy, Firefly was one such show that ended way before it’s time. A mixture of an old style western, with rebel characters trying to eek out a living, while staying one step ahead of the law, all set in space, some 500 years in the future.
In typical Whedon style, it drew you in through very real characterisations as you followed the lives of the crew of a Firefly class transport named Serenity. Unlike many other ‘space dramas’, not only do the crew seem very real, but the ship is also completely thought out as if it was a real space craft that a group of people had to work and live in.
From the film, “Serenity”, which set out to at least bring some type of closure to the short lived TV series, the collectible company Quantum Mechanix also set out to make real, what was basically a CGI model, and bring the most detailed replica of the ship to life. After a few years of development work, it is now possible to purchase your very own, film quality miniature replica of Serenity.

Packaging – 4 and a half stars

Just like most collectibles today, Serenity arrives in the usual brown cardboard box. However, once you open that, the similarities basically end. You know you have something a bit different, when instead of using a sharp knife to get to your latest purchase, you need a screwdriver!
For inside the cardboard box, you’ll find a wooden shipping crate, with a long screw in each corner holding the lid in place. Once you have that off, sitting on top is a general packing list, your signed builders plaque and exclusive art print by Jason Palmer, with matching edition number.
After that, you face what is essentially a layered cake of custom cut black foam. As you life up each layer, more of your Serenity is revealed, from the remote control (for the lighting system), to the reactor flaps and shuttle(s). Then, finally, about half way down, it hits you, the top of Serenity, in all of it’s amazing and breathtaking beauty.
As you continue down, there is also the stand, the power supply and the base.
It is about as well packed as you can get, but even then, it seems the postal system can be brutal. Just like all other photos I’ve seen, mine too arrived with a bent antenna spike on the top of the cockpit. The very first replica’s to go out, had resin spikes and they snapped off. Since then, all have been like mine, metal with extra packing protection covering over them. However, even tho that still wasn’t enough, being metal, I was able to just bend it back. My other minor problem was that the rear Primary Thrusters had come off. It was just a clean pop off at the join spot and was otherwise undamaged. Unfortunate with such a high priced collectible, but also easy to fix, just a drop of glue and you’d never know. At its core the packaging did its job, nothing was actually scratched or chipped or technically broken. Given the ‘throwing around’ packages seem to get, I’m not sure what else QMx could do to protect Serenity any more. Of course the replica is also full insured, so if any real damaged had happened, then that would cover the cost and QMx would fix it up.

Sculpture – 5 stars

The first thing you’ll notice when you take a close look is the shear detail in the model. Then when you look even closer, you’ll notice yet more detail, up to the point where you start to go crossed eyed, just trying to focus on all the minuscule detail.
Did I mention that she has amazing detail.... at around 30cm away, you see all the pin head size rivets, yes, that’s right, this ship is actually held together, it looks like it’s been built. Once you get nearer, around 15cm away and assuming your eyesight is good enough, you then see all of the pin prick size rivets. These aren’t just painted, dot’s, they are real sculpted detail in the ship’s hull, all clearly defined and round, even tho the whole replica is covered in layers of paint. Every square centimetre just has the same level of incredible level of detail that helps to make the Serenity replica just look so real. No wonder it took so long to produce the initial 250 parts which makes up each model, there’s just no room for error when it comes to assembly.

Paint Application – 5 stars

As we all know, a good sculpt can be ruined by a bad thick paint job and in the case of Serenity, it wouldn’t even need to be that thick to obliterate much of the fine detail work in the replica. Fortunately the paint work on Serenity is superb, from what must be very thin layers in order to not hide details, to sharp edges, clean lines and weather work that actually looks as if the paint has peeled off, without having actually peeling off paint. All general ‘operation’ type effects are present, like soot around exhaust ports, natural wear on parts, differences in hull plating were Serenity has been repaired, to all numbers, markings and even the logo being painted on.
More than anything, what really strikes you, from the very first time you open the packaging, is just how real Serenity looks. The whole paint application reacts to light just as a filming miniature should; making it very easy to believe there’s a crew inside, just flying around the verse.

Extras - 5 stars

This is a section that gets very interesting, especially compared to other companies that offer an exclusive ‘extra’ to the standard version. At first, Serenity was going to have the option of a SFX version (that’s one with a full light-up feature) and a standard version with no lights. However, since everyone wanted lights, that was the only one produced.
Outside of that, and the fact you get an exclusive art print by Jason Palmer and a signature plaque by Nathan Fillion, you also have the option to customise Serenity in a variety of ways. Each shuttle can be either docked, sitting on the launch arms ready for take-off or in flight, you can have the reactor flaps open or closed, the main side engines can be straight back or vertical or even in different directions (Crazy Ivan). All of this is possible because each one is hand-made for you, I know of one person that has a missing primary buffer panel and I personally got three different builders plaques.
Most of this can all be done just within that standard price, if you want something a bit more special, then you can talk that over with QMx and any additional cost will be agreed on.

Final Word

Since it’s not technically an extra, I didn’t really cover it above, but something must be said about the lighting. In a word, it’s fantastic, you get a little remote control that turns on the main lighting and also has buttons to turn on the rear reactor (which will do a ‘hard burn’ flash soon after being turned on and then continue to flash a little), the grav rotor, which has a circling cycle of lights and finally various flashing strobe running lights around the ship. In a darken room, the whole area gets filled up with white and yellow light, making Serenity look amazing.
One minor downside that should be mentioned, is that the power brick that comes with Serenity is totally American, both its plug and voltage requirements. As such, being in Australia, I had to buy a Stepdown Transformer in order to get it too work at all.
The lighting did also have one other downside, once I got it working, in so much that inside Serenity, all these lights a very bright, meaning that any little gaps or holes show up as very bright white light leaks. For the most part it’s not a big deal, like a thin light line inside the top of the docking bay. However, what I did have which was very noticeable, was 3-4 light holes in the dark concave join area between two main side parts of the ship between the cockpit and shuttle bay. Before I got the lights working, I never knew they were there, the join part is a very dark colour anyway and since inside was all dark, one just couldn’t see it. But as soon as I turned on the lights, it was like I had a few ‘large’ holes in my hull; I could almost hear the crew suffocating LOL.
So I took a photo and sent it off to QMx to see what could be done. I was given a couple of choices, either send it back to the shop for them to fix up or have a go at fixing it myself. Given the already mentioned minor shipping damage, the last thing I wanted to do was risk a two-way postage back and forth. Now I’m no model making or even any sort of painter, but these were only a couple of very small holes (like 1-2mm) in an area that required no real painting skills or anything, it wasn’t like it was an area on top of some well painted hull plating, it was a join spot, mostly nothing but black and really only needed a dark little bit of filler or something.
So I figured with the right it of ‘stuff’, I could do it myself. As such and at no expense to myself, I was sent a little repair/patch kit, with instructions, on how to plug my couple of light holes and having Serenity looking as good as new. Now sure, for the price one shouldn’t even have to, but then you shouldn’t get a statue was a so-so paint job either, yet it happens and to be fair, unless you had Serenity’s lights on, was looking at the exact right spot, at the right angle, on the correct side and didn’t have bright studio/lights on, then you could have easily missed it. At first, I did. The more import part was that it was all fixed, as easy as it could be with total support from QMx all the time.

The final thing I will say, on a positive note, the one thing I was hoping for and in fatc expecting, was to have a ‘studio scale’ replica, that looked so real, you could put it on a motion control rig, point a camera at it and think it was real. Even without doing all that, if you can see past the size (ie, it’s a model sitting on one’s desk, not a full size ship in space), then the detail and paint work is so real, that I often find myself, picturing the Firefly crew in an episode moving around inside.
As Jayne says, ‘Let’s go be bad guys’.....

Packaging – 4 and a half stars
Sculpture – 5 stars
Paint Application – 5 stars
Extras – 5 stars

Overall - 5 stars

Name: Serenity Big Damn Replica
Manufacturer: Quantum Mechanix
Edition Size: 1000
Price: $2495 USD
Availability: Made to Order
Distributors: QMx (www.qmxonline.com ), and all good collectible retailers

Good review, I hope some day to get this, but in the meantime I found a great model kit for the TV version here:
https://www.modelermagic.com/?p=15734

It's about the same size although it doesn't come painted and doesn't have lights, but still much cheaper

The sculpt on the QMx replica is great, the only issue I have is the paint job, overall it's pretty good, but there's just some major features that are just plain wrong, like that green spot on the mess hall, shouldn't be as much and actually the green panel should be on the other side. Plus there should be extra decal painting on the cockpit, neck, and engines--stuff like numbers or signs. And the painted panels on the reactor should be weathered, they look like they were spray painted on from a stencil. Also, the reactor flaps don't match at all. And I would try to make the weathering finer, the way it's done kind of makes the ship seam smaller than it is.

But overall, it's still a great replica, and I'm sure no one will ever do better, but I still wish they could have done better with the paint.

EDIT: Also, they forgot the smaller pipes on the back, I know they are somewhat small, but not too small to be missing

And the painted panels on the reactor should be weathered, they look like they were spray painted on from a stencil.

I assume you mean the yellow squares around the reactor. Yes they do look a bit 'spray painted', but at the same time, they need to be a fairly clear or in this case, yellow plastic in order the the lighting effects to come through. If you painted it all, then surely it would block out much of the light.

I had a look at that other model and from a distance it looks pretty good, but then when I had a look at the larger images up close, it's then you notice a fair lack of detail (not a single rivet, for example) and in general much of it is far less sharp and precise.
Be interesting to know the price tho and what a paint job would cost, tho compared to the images shown, I'd want a better paint apps to that one.
While the QMx one may have a few little inaccuracies here and there, I still stand by how real it looks.

Price for the kit is around $250 which isn't bad, here's a paint job from someone else which shows the model is smoother than in the other one: https://www.modelermagic.com/?p=18008

Paint can really change how the sculpt looks if it's not smooth enough. It's the best model kit I've seen though, which is nice, although it's based off the TV version so it doesn't have as much detail.

The panels I was talking about are the ones on the reactor manifold, the red painting, those patterns are solid and unweathered, whereas they should be so weathered like they are barely there.

OK, that model looks somewhat better, tho I can't say the paint work looks all that 'metal', but that could the photo's compared to what I'm looking at in person. Still, $250 for the basic kit isn't too bad, I guess if one could do a really good paint job, you could end up with something fairly OK.

So really, all those ppl that say the QMx one is too much, have no reason to miss out.

ahh, those red panels, yes they are fairly solid paint, but I wouldn't say it looks like 'plastic', just more that it doesn't get as much wear there or more likely had some paint touch-ups done recently.
In fact, if you want to take it to a logical thought, given the almost patchwork look of Serenity's hull, where panels have been replaced, painted or repaired all at different times, maybe those red panels do get a lot of wear and had just been recently repaired and repainted :p

congrats on a stellar piece guru.

I'm grateful I've not watched Serenity (heresy i know) otherwise i'd prob be out a couple of grand :D

Next piece : BlackBird (though no build news yet)

Price for the kit is around $250 which isn't bad, here's a paint job from someone else which shows the model is smoother than in the other one: https://www.modelermagic.com/?p=18008

Paint can really change how the sculpt looks if it's not smooth enough. It's the best model kit I've seen though, which is nice, although it's based off the TV version so it doesn't have as much detail.

The panels I was talking about are the ones on the reactor manifold, the red painting, those patterns are solid and unweathered, whereas they should be so weathered like they are barely there.

Thats a pretty good kit. Not as good as the QMX replica, but for 1/10 the price its well worth it. I think the biggest problem is the modeler's pictures. All the paint is way too light and poorly applied. Looks almost as if they used watercolors to paint it.

Thats a pretty good kit. Not as good as the QMX replica, but for 1/10 the price its well worth it.

Well, not really 1/10th the price, especially if you can't paint it all yourself, plus you don't get all the lighting and other extra's. But still, for those on a budget, then it sure is an option.

I'm guessing a lighting kit for that would at least be the same cost as the kit, and if you can paint well, paint is pretty cheap. So overall it's not going to be even half the price of the QMx replica, but the main difference is the accuracy. Since QMx has the actual 3D model to work from, it's way more accurate. And I'm a bit of a stickler for accuracy.

I'm getting that model kit as a fun project to do, but I'm going to do what I can to add more detail, rivets and such. It'll be interesting to actually be working with something real for a change.

yeah, likely the lighting would cost at least the same, and of course mine was $2K, not the listed $2.5K, so now it's more like 1/4th the price.

Even so, going to be really interesting to see you putting it all together, make sure to take progress pics as you go along.

Great review Guru!!
The detail that went into the BDR really is astounding. The closer you look at it, the more detail you see. For instance, when you mentioned that some of the rivets are different sizes, some of the rivet seams are uneven and crooked as well. It has the look of a "hasty repair" and it adds a lot to the realism of the model. It really is something you have to see in person to even begin to come to grips with the crazy level of detail.
I'm sad to report that my wife and I are getting ready to send our beloved BDR back to FX Co for repair (QMx is paying the shipping fees). There is something wrong with the lighting system and they need to get it back into their shop and crack it open to replace the main logic board that runs the lights :gah:
Right now we are completely heartbroken, but we're hoping that feeling will subside once we get our Serenity back safe and sound.

That's a bummer Yama, especially from a repacking, etc point of view. But yeah, the main board isn't something one could easily fix yourself and I guess just like anything else, those things break (say he, having a warrenty job logged for an office PC that arrived without a working sound card).

No doubt it will all be fixed up, just a pitty to loose her for a bit. I have my thoughts that the plug in the bottom of the cargo bay that takes the power, screws off and that then gives them some access inside, one would assume that most of the electronics is sitting right there.

Looks like the repairs to our BDR have been completed. She's on her way home and should land this Friday (October 1). I really hope she's "good as new" again.

Well that's good news, I assume it was the main board then, which like anything, a few will fail, while most will just keep going for years and years.

They probably have several circuits in there, so it could have been a lot of things. In any case, once the stuff is put in there it's probably a _____ to open up to check things. Could even be something as simple as a loose wire.

We just got our BDR back. UPS really went out of their way to try to destroy the box. The outer cardboard shipping box was smooshed like crazy. That made me VERY nervous, but my fears were proven wrong (thank the maker of your choice).
FX Co did an incredible job of packing our BDR so it was completely safe within the wooden crate. The repair job they did was the definition of perfection. The lights work properly and there is absolutely ZERO indication that the model had to be opened up. I thought there would be some marks somewhere giving away that they had to crack it back open, but there aren't any at all. :clap
My wife and I are very very happy to have our BDR back. Even more so, kudos to QMx and FX Co for making sure the job was done with such attention to detail.

Last edited:
so, look at the e-mail i finally received this past week. please note this is dated a year after i placed the original order.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hi Kirk,

Your BDR is crated and ready to ship. She takes off tomorrow -
leaving from Florida. I've attached photos of the finished product.
I will contact you with tracking information shortly.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

I look forward to hearing what you think about your customized Serenity!

Thank you and have a great day!
Claudia

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

i placed my original order on october 23, 2009, so it took exactly a year to get it. still have #15/1000. i have included my picture album link below and more will come as i unpack it. it all looks good so far!!! maybe some of you can add if the packing format has changed over the past year due to shipping issues early on.

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1300

Back