Schlock - Old Sideshow 1:6 scale Prototype WOW!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protozaius

Chief Defender of Faith
Reaction score
Remember that old Landis film "Schlock"? Well it looks like Sideshow was planning on releasing a figure of him. A prototype has popped up on Ebay.

schlock2.jpg

schlock3.jpg

schlock4.jpg

Here's the ("missing") link to the listing:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160466347040&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Very cool item. Being a lover of all things "ape," I would love to have this but it is too rich for my blood. And the prototype was sculpted by Mat Falls, the sculptor behind Sideshow's Planet of the Apes 12" line.

It was John Landis's first film. In fact, he played the monkey, Schlock as well with the make up done by Rick Baker. John Chambers, the creator of the Planet of the Apes make -up, makes a cameo appearance in the film as a security guard.

schlock.jpg

In hindsight, I should have stated that the figure for sale is probably a two-up prototype... not a 1:6 figure per se. So, that's why the figure measures over 12" tall. The production piece would have probably been part of their early 7" figure line... when they were known as Sideshow Toy Company. Considering all of the classic monsters that they covered in that line, I'm surprised they actually came this close to producing this figure. Perhaps the film has a special connection with Mat Falls the sculptor.

Last edited:
I remember seeing that movie when I was a kid. It's cool that Sideshow considered doing something obscure like this...Even if it didn't happen.

It was John Landis's first film. In fact, he played the monkey, Schlock as well with the make up done by Rick Baker. John Chambers, the creator of the Planet of the Apes make -up, makes a cameo appearance in the film as a security guard.

schlock.jpg

In hindsight, I should have stated that the figure for sale is probably a two-up prototype... not a 1:6 figure per se. So, that's why the figure measures over 12" tall. The production piece would have probably been part of their early 7" figure line... when they were known as Sideshow Toy Company. Considering all of the classic monsters that they covered in that line, I'm surprised they actually came this close to producing this figure. Perhaps the film has a special connection with Mat Falls the sculptor.

wow you'd think a big planet of the apes fan would know better then to call it a "monkey" :lol

Apologies for the necro-post, but it appears this is the only thread on this forum that mentions Schlock (1973). Do images still exist of the Sideshow prototype I wonder? I couldn't find anything from searches.

I hadn't heard of he film either until today, but it popped up on one of the movie sites, and seems to be out on DVD with a Blu-ray release soon.

Just finished watching it, and while very silly it did have some very funny moments. Plus a few references to Planet of the Apes.

I thought Landis was great as the apeman, playing the part like an homage to a 1920s silent comedy.

schlock_0.jpg

MV5BMTgwYWMzZGQtNTY5OC00OTMxLTg1ODItMzE0ZjcxNGU3YTYwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTE2NzA0Ng@@._V1_.jpg

Back