SSC Disney - Evil Queen Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fremen

Super Freak
Reaction score
Re: Evil Queen Premium Format figure - ORDER NOW!! Link in 1st Post

I got mine today. Very happy with her.

Re: Evil Queen Premium Format figure - ORDER NOW!! Link in 1st Post

I got my Evil Queen yesterday. Great PF, I love it! She seems to not have any flaws (though my GF who's a nail tech thinks the nails could have been painted better).

EvilQueen.jpg

EvilQueenclose.jpg

"Click on images for a larger view, all ratings out of 5 stars"

At the end of 2008, as a Christmas present to their customers, Sideshow announced that they had acquired the license to produce ¼ scale Premium Format Disney statues from their massive library of live action and animated films. By the middle of 2009, the first statue was listed for pre-order, with four more to follow, all of which would ship sometime in 2010. The first to be listed and hence shipped, was the Evil Queen, from Disney’s first animated feature film, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Packaging – 4 stars

While not really all that different than any other statue packaging, in that it has the protective Styrofoam clam shell, stored in a full colour art box, which itself was contained in the usual brown shipper box. All in all, fairly standard stuff, which when combined with some of the extra wrapping and padding within and around the statue, does exactly what it’s meant do to, protect the piece.
However, were it does earn an extra point or two, is in the clear time spent to make the art box very regal in appearance. From the gold patterned outline, to the blue and purple colours, to the informative text and images of the actual animation drawings, it just adds that bit of extra class.

Sculpture – 5 stars

It’s just about impossible to fault the sculpt. Sure, most of it is hidden under fabric on the main statue, other than the hands and head, but even though an actual human likeness didn’t need to be captured, great care still had to be exercise. The process of sculpting a 3D face, from a purely 2D character, could have easily been ‘stuffed-up’.
Fortunately, in this case, the execution was near perfect, it’s as if the Evil Queen has stepped right out of the screen. The queen only has a single ‘uni’ leg, rather than two separate legs which would be somewhat thin and prone to breakage. By just using a single leg mass, it gives the statue much more stability and strength, while also providing a nice overall shape for the tight fitting dress to fall over. The base is also nicely done, with clean, sharp edges and good shape to the heart lock.

Fabric – 4 and a half stars

It’s very hard to fault the overall fabric work on this statue without getting nitpicky. The main part of the dress fits perfectly over her figure, while providing for some leeway at the feet for adjustments as you would like to see. The rope around the waist can also be turned around, depending on how you want to display it and the main run from the arms provide a good contrast to the rest. The really outstanding component is however the main cloak, double sided with a smooth type silk on the inside and a rich velvet on the outside. In addition there is a vast amount of the fabric, which then falls and folds just as one would expect, helped by the base raising the whole statue up and letting the cloak all fall around her.
So, for the nitpicking, there were a few stray threads in a couple of spots, but most of that was easy to fix. The rope also was a little frayed on mine up near the waist, not too bad and mostly unseen on display, but still can happen a bit. The only other minor issue, due to the size of normal fabric on a ¼ scale statue, is how the fabric off the arms sit. It’s just a little stiff and sits up in a couple of spots more so then it should and while some adjustment helps, you can’t completely make it look as it really should.

Paint Application – 5 stars

Being an animated character, which in many ways are mostly flat colours, a bad paint job could have easily ruined the statue, even though most of it is covered in fabric. Fortunately, in this case and setting a high standard for future Disney PF’s, the paint work is outstanding. From just an overall good finish, to a glossy apple that looks good enough to eat. Then, where it counts most, on the face, all the paint work is clear, smooth and sharp, with nice shading and graduations in area’s like around the eye’s. While all are of course hand painted and variations do occur, I would be hard pressed to fault mine.

Extras - 4 and a half stars

In a time were an extra can be a print (which while usually nice, doesn’t mean much to most collectors), the Exclusive version comes with a crow, sitting on a skull, sitting on a book. In this case, getting the extra is absolutely worth it, with an equally superb paint job, especially on the skull, matched with a very nice sculpture of all parts and it even has a little fabric bookmark.
With the possibility of extra’s for future statues being some animals for Snow White or Mrs Potts and Chip for Belle, it’s hoped that Sideshow will continue with the trend started with the Evil Queen in including extra’s that add real display value, instead of prints or switch out heads.

Final Word

While it’s possible to nit-pick just about anything, overall Sideshow have managed to pull off exactly what I was hoping they would, when they first announced the Disney PF line. Taking a flat 2D animated character and bring it to life in real 3D. It’s as if the Evil Queen has just stepped right out of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and struck a pose on your table top. With a height equal to most other general PF’s and an presence thanks to the area of bright fabric, the Evil Queen PF is hard to miss in any collection.
Sideshow have set the bar high with its first release, I truly hope the standard can be maintained and that a matching Snow White PF isn’t far away.

Packaging – 4 stars
Sculpture – 5 stars
Fabric – 4 and a half stars
Paint Application – 5 stars
Extras – 4 and a half stars

Overall - 4 and a half stars

Name: Evil Queen Premium Format
Manufacturer: Sideshow
Edition Size: 300 Ex, 600 Reg
Price: $300 USD Exclusive, $285 USD Regular
Availability: March 2010
Distributors: Sideshow (www.sideshowcollectibles.com ), and all good collectible retailers

Back