Premium Format Black Orc of Mordor Premium Format. Link to Buy in 1st post.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodsy

Super Freak
Reaction score
Link to Buy:

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=32673&affiliate=dstephan

MordorOrc1.jpg

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/videos.php?videoID=735&key=latest&source=overview_tab

Last edited:
Re: Mordor Orc PF

Sweet. Looking forward to this, and I hope it's the next PF. Hopefully it can erase the disappointment of the Morgul Lord PF.

Sweet. Looking forward to this, and I hope it's the next PF. Hopefully it can erase the disappointment of the Morgul Lord PF.

Already confirmed by SS as the next PF, arriving shortly after SDCC.

Already confirmed by SS as the next PF, arriving shortly after SDCC.

I remember the Q & A confirmation, but the fact that they showed a sculpted Gollum PF in the video and not one of the orc worried me a little.

Last edited:

I remember the Q & A confirmation, but the fact that the showed a sculpted Gollum PF in the video and not one of the orc worried me a little.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. :wink1: Obviously the Mordor Orc is much further along than SS is willing to reveal at the moment. Either way, it certainly appears the Mordor Orc and Gollum/Smeagol are the next two PF's and if SS were to change the pre-order sequence of these two it would be fine with me....it's a win-win situation any way you slice it. :)

I kind of feel bad for saying this, because it's usually thrown around in the Star Wars PF threads - but why a background character over someone more recognizable?

Seriously, if SSC supposedly wants to breathe new life into the PF line, then how about a Boromir? Or if they want to do another bad guy, maybe Gothmog or Grishnakh. Going with a generic is something more suited to the Star Wars PF line that will go on forever and can pace itself well given it's huge fanbase. I feel like SSC LOTR stuff is almost on "death's door". Why chance it with something like this?

Sorry, I just get the impression SSC doesn't listen as well anymore.

I kind of feel bad for saying this, because it's usually thrown around in the Star Wars PF threads - but why a background character over someone more recognizable?

Seriously, if SSC supposedly wants to breathe new life into the PF line, then how about a Boromir? Or if they want to do another bad guy, maybe Gothmog or Grishnakh. Going with a generic is something more suited to the Star Wars PF line that will go on forever and can pace itself well given it's huge fanbase. I feel like SSC LOTR stuff is almost on "death's door". Why chance it with something like this?

Sorry, I just get the impression SSC doesn't listen as well anymore.

Don't feel bad for saying it, I couldn't agree with you more. This line is crying out for some major characters (I'm sure Gandalf will help, but...) and THIS is what they have lined up?! Where is Saruman, Theoden or Eomer, dare I say it... Gimli? The list goes on and on before we need another generic character like this. Yet again, a major FAIL in the PF line... :mad:

SS knows baddies sell. :exactly:

Orcs have a wider appeal with collectors which means taking less of a risk then say giving us Theoden who will only appeal to LOTR fans.

Interesting, but another Orc? I'm still waiting for Sideshow to make that Easterling. :exactly:

Don't feel bad for saying it, I couldn't agree with you more. This line is crying out for some major characters (I'm sure Gandalf will help, but...) and THIS is what they have lined up?! Where is Saruman, Theoden or Eomer, dare I say it... Gimli? The list goes on and on before we need another generic character like this. Yet again, a major FAIL in the PF line... :mad:

Ditto but:

Orcs have a wider appeal with collectors which means taking less of a risk then say giving us Theoden who will only appeal to LOTR fans.

Sad but true. We'll see plenty more of background baddies with no relevance to the story but the caracters you mentioned or the ones I really want like Eowyn or Arwen will never ever see the light of day. The ones that fans wants and not collectors - SS is business and they make what sells

Yea, I understand that the idea that background characters like this Orc could sell to fans of the Fantasy genre as well as LOTR fans. I guess I just find that it's kind of a cheat on the part of SSC - release something that can appeal to more than one group and then claim that it's part of the LOTR line. Now granted this Orc does match the look of the LOTR movies, but I just feel like it's filler in a line that doesn't need filler, because it's on life-support. Plus, even something like Theoden could work, because it's not like a guy in armor isn't super-specific; fantasy buffs can still get into that.

I guess with Star Wars, the background characters are so completely developed that no one in the Star Wars universe is really nameless. Almost everyone has names, background, bios, etc, that when SSC does release something in the SW line, it will appeal to more of an audience because they actually feel some attachment to the character. For example, maybe that random Cantina alien actually did something in the comic book series, or in an Expanded Universe book they fleshed out that bounty hunter, or some trooper type appeared in a video game. Here we just have an Orc. He doesn't have any real name - maybe on the set he was just "Random Orc Extra #24" or something.

Whereas he looks kind of cool and maybe D&D as well as LOTR fans will pick him up, I just feel like he's a let-down compared to what else could work better. It's kind of like SSC is thinking that the Star Wars franchise model can work in other lines; when that's not the case.

Anyway, maybe I feel differently when I see the finished piece. Sorry for the rant.

I mentioned this in the "Gollum" thread but wanted to mention it here as well.

At the very beginning of the SDCC LOTR panel video, there's a shot of Samwise Gamgee! The different characters in the maquette line move from left to right and, right after the drawing of the Gimli MQ, there's what appears to be a fully sculpted Samwise figure. I'm not sure if it's a PF or MQ, but there appears to be something for us Hobbit fans to look forward to!

I mentioned this in the "Gollum" thread but wanted to mention it here as well.

At the very beginning of the SDCC LOTR panel video, there's a shot of Samwise Gamgee! The different characters in the maquette line move from left to right and, right after the drawing of the Gimli MQ, there's what appears to be a fully sculpted Samwise figure. I'm not sure if it's a PF or MQ, but there appears to be something for us Hobbit fans to look forward to!

I also replied in that thread, as well, but I'll mention it here too - that's just the 1/6 scale Sam. You can tell because the same pose is used on the SSC site for 1/6 scale Sam.

No Sam, yet. Though I'm sure if he does appear in the statue line, he'll be posed fighting Shelob with the vial or maybe armed with the frying pan in Mordor.

It is an interesting design, and I really wanted a Mordor Orc to round out the villians, but I am not sold on just the design sketch. Is he shirtless? I don't recall many Mordor Orcs forsaking armor like that...

I'll hold my judgment until I see more, and a Mordor Orc will round out the monstrous villians nicely, but this design isn't my favorite.

(Gollum is a winner though!!)

Exactly. Does everyone forget how huge the Berserker PF was in popularity? Or how quickly the Moria Orc PF sold out....until SS screwed it up with the red pleather? Baddies sell, pure and simple. But before anyone attempts to throw SS under the bus, have some of you guys forgotten that 4 of the first 10 PF's are fellowship members...with Boromir being strongly hinted as a 2011 pre-order? And where this talk of the PF line being "on life support" or SS want to "breathe new life" comes from is just ridiculous. One look at SS's LOTR PF page should make that abundantly clear. :cuckoo:

Back