INCEPTION Discussion Thread (***Spoilers!!!***)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm bringing what Deckard said in the non-spoiler thread into this thread:

he got to the plane by building it from memory, something he tells Ellen Page not to do, but Arthur says"notice how hes always doing things he tells you not to." Hes an architect too, Cobb. He builds his friends, his house, his children from memories. Thats why they are dressed the same way as they were in the dreams and flashbacks.

It matters because Mal locked her totum away, and thats how she forgot the dream world wasn't real, its why she killed herself. Cobb had to get the totum from her safe and spin it, to show her it was still spinning and they were dreaming all that time and he wanted to wake up. It went on for so long in the dream tho she couldn't handle reality. The important differance is that if Ariadne stopped it for him, he can also over time forget hes in this new limbo he built and it will become real to him. I again quote Cobb "Dreams feel real while we're in them, its only after we wake up we realise something was actually strange."

I'm not following. How did Ariadne stop the totem for Cobb? How did she implant an inception inside his head? I don't think this was ever shown explicitly or implicitly in the film. THough it could be a detail I missed.

Half the audience groaned. the other half laughed (including me)...I enjoyed it too.

Hey, it wasn't a sequel, a remake or based on a comic character or a tv show so...it already had some points in it's favor.

It did however have enough elements from stuff we've seen before in it to make it seem familiar...not a bad thing.

Glad I didn't play too much into the hype or se too much before I checked it out....don't think it would've felt as fresh as it did.

:duff Yes we agree and with your new user name maybe we can be Leo friends :hi5: :lol

On a serious note I can't believe what an amazing actor Leo's become (2002ish - present) He and Depp are my favorites right now.

1) What was your user name before TD?

2) How do you change your user name. (Just curious, I'll always be Maglor.)

I think maybe those who wanted the 100% happy ending might be looking a bit too far down that road.

Actually I was really suprised that it had a "100% happy ending". Every one in my group was. But maybe what really happened was what I expected to happen: everything got f'ed up. Dunno, will have to watch it again.

I still wonder what the dream theory people think happened with the gun scene at the end if he went to a dream world.

I need to watch this movie at least one more time before I make any sort of educated and structured contribution to this thread...soooooo much to take in, interpret and tie together.

That being said, amazing movie! I can't wait to watch it again.

I still wonder what the dream theory people think happened with the gun scene at the end if he went to a dream world.

Nothing happened. As I said in the other thread that's actually yet another clue that it's a dream. It was explained (and then shown multiple times) in the film that you can just wind up in a certain place in the middle of an event, place or conversation. The explanation for how he got from Saito's to the plane is irrelevant... because he was still dreaming.

i thought the end was proof he was in a dream all along, even when hi's totum keeps spinning, but i noticed at the end, the very split second before the credits roll, the totem starts to fall.

you here is just as it starts to tip. at first i thought it was just me, but after the second viewing i can confirm it stop or is about to stop. Nolan, prob to appears both sides of the fence, chose to cut the scene just as the spinner slows down that way its left open ended. a really really smart choice, and something that will leave people guessing. idk im prob just dreaming. lol

So there are three major interpretations so far?

1. The ending is real. Cobb and crew wake up, life is good.
2. The ending is a dream. Cobb never wakes up and is still on the plane, but life is falsely good.
3. The entire movie is Cobb's dream.
4. Bruce Willis is a ghost.

Personally, I just figured that in the end, it wasn't a dream after all, because if his wife, by killing herself, woke up from the dream or went up to the next level, she would have given him the kick, waking him up.

After I got out of the movie, me and my friends discussed a whole lot of stuff. One thing I found was that there really wasn't a villain. If anyone could be seen as a villain, it would be Cobb's subconscious, or more specifically, his grief for feeling like he killed his wife. Also, another view is that almost everyone was the villain, EXCPET Fischer, since he was the unfortunate guy who had a bunch of people messing with his dreams. We could just flat out talk about this movie for hours.

But I love how there's a million different things you could take away from this film. It can be a drama, mystery, action movie, or even a good ol' heist movie.

EDIT: Okay, now I see that you're talking about going from Saito's dreamhouse to the plane. I was a tad confused on how they got out. I dunno, It may have not been a dream, because I believe there was some mention in the movie somewhere on how he couldn't remember his kid's faces, and that's when we finally saw them. I dunno.

Last edited:
Nothing happened. As I said in the other thread that's actually yet another clue that it's a dream. It was explained (and then shown multiple times) in the film that you can just wind up in a certain place in the middle of an event, place or conversation. The explanation for how he got from Saito's to the plane is irrelevant... because he was still dreaming.

So the exchange between Saito and Cobb with the gun on the table switched in "real time" to Cobb being on the plain (still dreaming).

What caused that kick/jump from Saito's limbo to Cobbs final dream world?

The ending scene was way too... dreamy. :monkey5

Agreed. Like I said, it was all too... perfect. Also, Michael Caine's character wearing the exact same clothes he was when Cobb met with him at the school earlier in the film is a huge clue, imho. There are already more than enough other things to make one believe that the end sequence is a Cobb dream. Even if Caine was wearing something totally different it could be easily argued that the end was a dream. So why is he wearing the same thing??? To me, thats a clincher.

Back