"Indiana Jones 4" Now Confirmed!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjam

Here on the Perimeter
Reaction score
Finally!

This article was sent to me from my buddy @ Entertainment Weekly

Enjoy

the latest on Indy ...

By Josh Grossberg

Looks like Harrison Ford can finally take the fedora out of mothballs.

The Hollywood megastar told a German magazine on Wednesday that after rewrites too numerous to count, he and director Steven Spielberg are finally satisfied with the script for the forever-in-the-works fourth installment of the whip-wielding, tomb-raiding adventurer.

"Steven Spielberg and I now have a script in hand that we both like. I believe that we can start with the filming soon," Ford was quoted as saying in an interview with Fit for Fun, a German lifestyle and entertainment magazine.

The 63-year-old actor, who's been making the publicity rounds this month for Firewall--his first certifiable action thriller since 1997's Air Force One--demurred, however, on a start date.

That depends on the busy schedules of the Indiana Jones triumvirate of Ford, Spielberg and producer George Lucas. But Ford indicated he was ready to get back into the swing of things, adding that he needed "to do a little practicing with the whip" to avoid injuries.

Ford's reps did not comment further, and a Lucasfilm spokesperson said Wednesday that Lucas was not available to comment on the status of Indy 4. But appearing at last week's Empire Awards in London, his producing partner, Rick McCallum, said Lucas had made his final tweaks to the script by Jeff Nathanson (Rush Hour and Catch Me If You Can) and handed it off to his two pals for final tweaking.

"[George has] just finished the Indiana Jones script, and Steven's having that rewritten and a few things done," McCallum said, according to published reports.

Spielberg's publicist, Marvin Levy, confirmed as much to E! Online.

"[The script] certainly seems to be [in the can], but I don't think we're at that point where we have a firm start date," Levy said. "But this is certainly the closest where we've been in this whole development process."

Levy also denied an earlier report that Spielberg was considering taking a year off after doing War of the Worlds and Munich back to back. He said the two-time Oscar winner is working not only on getting Indy 4 off the ground, but also Lincoln, his upcoming biopic on Abraham Lincoln that will reunite him with his Schindler's List star, Liam Neeson.

"I think it's much more likely that he will do an Indy movie before he does Lincoln. The Lincoln script is not as far in the development stage and...frankly, Steven may not want to do another serious movie after doing a Munich," Levy said.

He noted it's possible Spielberg "would be starting something before 2007."

It's been a slow, tortuous march to production since the project was officially announced in January 2002. The trio brought in Oscar-nominated writer-director Frank Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile) to take a crack at writing a story about the aging archaeologist, but Lucas vetoed the draft, putting Indy 4 on hold indefinitely until Nathanson found an angle that pleased the principals.

By the time Indy 4 does get rolling--this year or next--Ford will have turned 64 and will probably be 65 by the time Paramount releases the movie in theaters. The actor is next set to play Colonel Everton Conger, the man who tracked down Abraham Lincoln's assassin, John Wilkes Booth, in Manhunt, which starts filming next month.

There's only one company which can do this line justice and I think we all know who that is! With SS doing such an amazing job with Lucas SW properties, it's only natural they lead the way here. Here's to hoping Sideshow secures the liscence for 1/4 and 1/6 scale Indiana Jones figs and here's to my personal wish they start with the ROTLA Line.

I just don't see a Sideshow Indy line NOT happening. I think it is a foregone conclusion. I believe that Sideshow is currently forging a SOLID bond with the Lucasfilm merchandising unit by continually putting out those wonderful Star Wars pieces. The buzz that the Sideshow 12" Star Wars pieces (along with the PFs and the life-sized busts) has helped keep the Star Wars property at the center of the collecting world.

Lucasfilm showed it's loyality to Kenner/Hasbro when it chose to renew the license with them back in '95 when ALL the other toy companies were throwing themselves at Lucasfilm trying to woo them. And I think that kind of loyality will continue with Sideshow.

I think it would be great if sideshow did Indiana Jones figures. Just imagine a 1/4 scale Indie holding his whip...wouldn't that be awesome or what? I think sideshow would be the perfect company for this movie line.

Indiana Jones 4...? About time I say.

:banana

I'd love to see and Indiana line from SS as well.

Personally, I love Indiana Jones -- you can tell by my avatar -- but I'm not looking forward to Indy 4. In fact, I fear its arrival. I fear what it will undo; what it will taint. Like what Matrix 2 & 3 did to the memory of the original. Once a history is presented, there's no dispelling it. It sticks.

Harrison is far too old and far too strange these days. I don't share the nostalgia in seeing an older man trying to reclaim his youthful appeal and fame. I did not enjoy seeing Connery do it in "Never Say Never Again". Another attempt to grab on to the old days, and on to some quick money.

From TIME.com interview with George Lucas:

INDY 4

R.C. If you’re retired, I guess you’ll be less involved with an Indiana Jones 4 than you were in the first three?

G.L. Well, I’ve been working on Indy 4 for ten years. So I’ve been more involved, so no matter how you count it on this one I’ll be more involved than I’ll have ever been on the other three put together. It’s taken forever to get a script of it. That’s my part of it.

R.C. Isn’t Harrison Ford now older than Sean Connery was when he played his father in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade?

G.L. Uhh, yeah. But the thing is designed for that. And I think it’s funny, it’s exciting. You know the problem there, which is not a problem, is that we don’t have to make that movie. All we can do is hurt ourselves, all it’s going to do is get criticized. I mean it’s basically Phantom Menace we’re making. No matter how you do it, no matter what you do, it won’t be what the other ones were in terms of the impact or the way people remember them.

R.C. But there’s also no need to complete the holes in the epic.

G.L. We don’t have anything like that. We just had a great time making those movies. And if we can have a great time doing this one and we can enjoy ourselves, and make something that’s entertaining to us, no matter what the world thinks, let’s just do it.

R.C. But you also have to decide on the format, right?

G.L. In terms of what?

R.C.Do you say, "Dammit, Steven, do it in digital," and he says, "Dammit, George, I’m doing it on film"?

G.L. Pretty much.

R.C.Who wins?

G.L. He’ll win. He’s the director. The great thing about working with Steven is that we don’t have agendas. We want to make the best movie possible, I want him to be happy. If he he wants to shoot it on film and cut it on a Movieola... Hey, he’s got a great editor. Michael Kahn can cut faster on a Movieola than anybody can cut on an Avid. And I don’t really care. But I do tell him, 'This is your chance to play with this and experiment with it and blame it all on me'—say, ‘He made me do it.’ And then you can go back to film if you want. But he has relented after all these years to maybe cutting it digitally. We’ll see what happens.

I love the Indy Series so another movie is great IMO. I would have to seriously consider getting a 1/4 scale Indy if it ever got made by SS.

Sorry, but I'm just not excited to see Indiana Jones and The Prostate Exam. I foresee a lot of Danny Glover "I'm geting too old for this stuff" moments.

I'm excited but also being cautious. Any new Indy movie will be awesome in my mind, just to see the next step for the characters... But I will cross my fingers and hope that a sour taste is not left in my mouth after I see it. :monkey2

Those movies are classics and will always be in my top 3 film trilogies of all time, I do not want to see something that will taint that greatness. But, I was the same way about the SW prequels and I ended up being a staunch supporter...:D

I'm definitely approaching Indy 4 with a mixture of anticipation and apprehension. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with it but nervous about the final product.

HOWEVER, if Indy 4 means the license as a whole picks up steam, I am ALL for it! I would pick up a 1:4 Indy in a heartbeat. I would also entertain several other 1:4 from Raiders: Marion, Sallah, and Belloq, at least.

There are many possibilities for a 1:6 line as well. :naughty

pjam said:
I believe that we can start with the filming soon," Ford was quoted as saying in an interview with Fit for Fun, a German lifestyle and entertainment magazine.

I'll believe it when it actually starts filming. I've read 5+ times over the last 5-8 years that filming would start "soon".

elwood49 said:
I'll believe it when it actually starts filming. I've read 5+ times over the last 5-8 years that filming would start "soon".

I have never read that filming would "start soon" and I work in Hollywood. Spielberg, Lucas et al have been very restrained with their previous comments and only discussed the script and it's development in the past, its various disappointing drafts. Last December Jeff Nathanson turned in a promising rewrite but up until then no-one ever gave any hint this project was near pre-production until now. Harrison Ford first revealed the project was on the front burner just a few weeks ago when promoting Firewall.

They have all been brutally honest and would never lead on their audience, but now it seems clear they have approved the script so pre-production and budgeting are the only issues to deal with before shooting begins which will probably be in the fall for a summer 07 release if all goes well.

My guess is that SS will announce the Indy license at the SDCC. I could be talking out of my ass, but it's just my guess.

pjam said:
Spielberg, Lucas et al have been very restrained with their previous comments and only discussed the script and it's development in the past, its various disappointing drafts.

No they haven't. Do you really want me to link to hundreds of articles over the years where the script was approved by Lucas and Spielberg?

Here's a quickie that states Lucas and Spielberg approved the script (dated May 29, 2005):

https://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=9823

Ford states shooting to begin summer of 2004:

https://www.comingsoon.net/news/indy4news.php?id=1266

This has happened SEVERAL times. There are HUNDREDS more articles like this. Do I really need to continue?

pjam said:
I have never read that filming would "start soon" and I work in Hollywood. Spielberg, Lucas et al have been very restrained with their previous comments and only discussed the script and it's development in the past, its various disappointing drafts. Last December Jeff Nathanson turned in a promising rewrite but up until then no-one ever gave any hint this project was near pre-production until now. Harrison Ford first revealed the project was on the front burner just a few weeks ago when promoting Firewall.

They have all been brutally honest and would never lead on their audience, but now it seems clear they have approved the script so pre-production and budgeting are the only issues to deal with before shooting begins which will probably be in the fall for a summer 07 release if all goes well.

I agree. This buzz has a completely different feel to it from anything that has been said/reported in the past.

Back