Were there ever any Tim Burton Two Face concept sketches...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
...made for Billy Dee Williams? I figure not but I just rewatched Batman last night and got to wondering what Burton would have done with him and if unused sketches existed, so thought I'd ask here. :)

Last edited:
Not sure. I've looked in the past, but never found any on-line.

It's also interesting to consider any possible Christopher Walken/Max Shreck Two-Face concept images - since the original idea was that he becomes Two-Face when Catwoman kisses him and electrocutes him at the end of "Batman Returns."

It's also interesting to consider any possible Christopher Walken/Max Shreck Two-Face concept images - since the original idea was that he becomes Two-Face when Catwoman kisses him and electrocutes him at the end of "Batman Returns."

Thank God that did not happen! Although Joel Schumacher / Tommy Lee Jones went ahead and destroyed the character anyway.

Glad we finally got a great screen two face with TDK.

There was one that a friend showed me in summer camp back in 1990/91 even before Batman Returns came out. It was fan fiction, but it was cool. I was a kid and never heard of photoshop back then :lol.

Really? Never knew that! Trippy!

Not sure. I've looked in the past, but never found any on-line. It's also interesting to consider any possible Christopher Walken/Max Shreck Two-Face concept images - since the original idea was that he becomes Two-Face when Catwoman kisses him and electrocutes him at the end of "Batman Returns."

This isn't exactly accurate. Originally when Burton was looking at Batman Returns including a Robin character known as "The Kid" who was a mechanic in Gotham he had planned to use Harvey Dent as the the villian against Selena Kyle. She was supposed to have a vendetta against Dent and that would lead to the eventual Two-Face. Both Two-Face and Robin were dropped even though they were scripted (Robin as far as the shooting script) because the complaint of too many characters involved. Max Shrek was inserted to be a side character and not water down the original DC characters and there is no evidence including quotes from Burton about Shrek being Two-Face. Burton admitted that he thought it would be interesting to use Billy Dee as Two-Face but it was cut before any real substance could be given to it.

Burton wanted to include only one villain in the third Batman film, The Riddler, conceptualized with Robin Williams but after WB asked him to producer and approve of Schumacher as director, Schumacher pitched the idea of adapting Batman: Year One. WB said firmly that they wanted a sequel not a prequel and that if Schumacher played ball he would get creative control over the film including the villains. He went back to the original ideas of Two-Face but Billy Dee Williams was never considered for Two-Face in Batman Forever as Schumacher claims that Jones was his first choice for the role after working with him on The Client.

Knowing that Burton's style is darker and more gothic it wouldn't really match what we saw of Two-Face in Schumacher's eyes but here is some fan art that I found around the web:

207qrev.jpg

et64no.jpg

Someone claimed that Burton's Two-Face was going to have his face charred off (which is probably where the Shrek connection comes from) and that it would be blackened and peeled like old tough steak in one of those Burton fan forums but nothing backs that up as accurate.

Last edited:
Get this. Since Marlon Wayans was cut from Returns, he signed immediately for Forever, I believe he was the first especially since Keaton bolted after reading the script. He was replaced by O' Donnell but not in time to save the official contracts from being filed, so Wayans pulled a paycheck and still collects from royalities of Forever per his contract. Its also why the first Robin figure had a flattop because the prototype originally done for Wayans was just painted over.

516R41pFzSL.jpg

Wow, never knew all of that.

Bummer the series didn't continue with Burton, but I'm sure it could have continued to suck just as bad.

Get this. Since Marlon Wayans was cut from Returns, he signed immediately for Forever, I believe he was the first especially since Keaton bolted after reading the script. He was replaced by O' Donnell but not in time to save the official contracts from being filed, so Wayans pulled a paycheck and still collects from royalities of Forever per his contract. Its also why the first Robin figure had a flattop because the prototype originally done for Wayans was just painted over.

516R41pFzSL.jpg

Mike, also didn't most of the Batgirl figures and promotional items feature Batgirl wearing a cowl? But Alicia Silverstone refused to wear it during filming?

Though it's not from Batman Returns or of Billy Dee... i always thought this original make-up test from Batman Forever would have been tons better than the final concept used in the movie.

twoface.jpg

This would have been a smoother transition and more Burton-esque.

The concept of Shreck's character went through quite a few transformations. In an early draft of the script, he was supposed to be the wealthy industrialist brother of the Penguin, who had inherited the Cobblepot fortune instead of Oswald (since Shreck wasn't a freak). This granted more depth to the connection between Shreck and the Penguin (and the enmity between them).

Mike, also didn't most of the Batgirl figures and promotional items feature Batgirl wearing a cowl? But Alicia Silverstone refused to wear it during filming?

Yup. She wore it during the motorcycle shots and during the initial shots

batalicia3.jpg

but it was quickly abandoned when she complained that the other actors were easily seen and she was mostly hidden by the cowl. They got rid of it except in the motorcycle shots but apparently even that cowl was opened up at the eyes so you could still tell it was her.

I thought I read once that if Billy Dee had become Two Face, he would have a burned, "bleached" white half to his face...

Yup. She wore it during the motorcycle shots and during the initial shots

batalicia3.jpg

but it was quickly abandoned when she complained that the other actors were easily seen and she was mostly hidden by the cowl. They got rid of it except in the motorcycle shots but apparently even that cowl was opened up at the eyes so you could still tell it was her.

Along with her whole costume. :lol

Last edited:
I thought I read once that if Billy Dee had become Two Face, he would have a burned, "bleached" white half to his face...

I always thought that would have been a funny thing to do too :lol

Half black, half white. And the black and white suit made famous from the Animated Series would have completed the look. It really is a shame we didn't get to see old Lando as Two-face, or at least a mock up.

A half black and white two-face doesn't seem all that unrealistic now with what MJ and Sammy Sosa have done with their skintones. :wink1:

Back