Sideshow Star Wars Backlash

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth Kustomizer

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hello All,

I was just curious to see what some of you thought about the most recent posts on various figure sites related to the outright rage that some Star Wars collectors are venting at Sideshow due to their production of the new 12" figures.

From what I have seen many collectors have been absolutely hacked off at two things; one, the cost of the figures, and two, the limited supply of the figures.

Now keep in mind they are comparing these to the 12" figures that Hasbro produced, which I could hardly believe, but I was curious if anyone out there was as surprised as I was to the hostility that is showing up on some of the fan boards.

I guess it strikes me as odd because this is not the first time that we have seen high prices associated with really nice 12" Star Wars figures especially when you factor in some of the figures that were produced overseas.

Granted, I understand that you can't make everyone happy but I would have thought that the Sideshow figures would have really been embraced by the Star Wars collectors as a whole.

Go figure!

:lsvader

B'ah I think some people just like to complain too complain, and on that note Sideshow said from the start these were going to be LE figures not Wal-Mart mass produced*.

*Wal-mart mass produced were talking hundreds of thousands of these just to clarify as not to go back over what limited edition and mass produced editions mean.:rolleyes:

Any links to some of this discussion? I would guess that some of the frustration comes from the fact that so many collectors didn't really know about Sideshow's figures until it was too late. Sure, they read the press releases from last year but hard core Star Wars fans may have percieved Sideshow as the company that does the Lord Of the Rings stuff.

They may have also invested a lot of money in the hasbro 12" figures only to have them pale in comparison. I know that was the case for me. I really loved it when the recent line of 12" figures came out. They seemed great compared to what came before.

Pre-ordering figures, like we do, is pretty new to a lot of collector's who may have had a wait and see attitude.

I'm bummed people are upset but I think once the figures are released there will be plenty of product on the secondary market to make fans happy.

I don't get it, they don't have to buy them. :confused:

For example, I really like the Predator Maquette. I mean I really really like it. However, I think it's too expensive for me right now so I'm not going to buy it. :(

Viking28 said:
B'ah I think some people just like to complain too complain, and on that note Sideshow said from the start these were going to be LE figures not Wal-Mart mass produced*.

I totally agree. I've seen some of these discussions and they really make me laugh because they seem to be lost on what exactly limited editions mean as compared to the crap Hasbro was pushing out. They have no idea that the best thing that could happen to them as SW 12" collectors is SS getting the license.

I'd like to see some links so I can read what others are saying. As far as I'm concerned, I have no problem with the price. If people are comparing them to Hasbro as far as quality, there's no comparison.

Rugby1970 said:
Any links to some of this discussion?

You know, I thought long and hard about posting some of the links to a number of the discussion sites that I had run across. Then I thought better of it.

So, to answer your question, I have them, I just thought it was in good taste not to post them.

Trust me, if you look, it won't take you long to find some of the more negative discussions gong on.

jlcmsu said:
I totally agree. I've seen some of these discussions and they really make me laugh because they seem to be lost on what exactly limited editions mean as compared to the crap Hasbro was pushing out. They have no idea that the best thing that could happen to them as SW 12" collectors is SS getting the license.

I totally agree with you!

There's a fair share of negativity over at Rebel Scum these days on their boards, but a lot of it is people just complaining to complain. If there's a specific issue that bothers you on a particular figure, feel free to vent. But complaining in general when zippo has even been released is just ridiculous.

I do find the idea that they are complaining about the limited nature hilarious. Sideshow does limited high quality figures. Did they think they'd alter their business model because it was Star Wars? Lucas gave them the license with Hasbro's blessing because they WEREN'T going to be mass produced figures. That's sort of the whole point.

I have noticed a lot of Star Wars Fan just like to ***** for the hell of it.

Sideshow rocks, end of story.

I think some SW fans feel that SS or whoever should bend to their every whim just because it's SW and they are SW fans.

The funny thing is, I don't remember all the moaning and bitching from the SW fan base when Marmit started releasing 12" figures or for that matter when Medicom released their 12" figures. Why would this be any different?

Sideshow will make some of our dreams come true, but not all of them. It's like that. It's simply unrealistic to presume that SSC (or any other company for that matter) will satisfy your every needs. Unless you have a lot of green of course.

I agree with that. Not every piece SS has done has been something I've just totally loved otherwise I'd have them all.

I've been a collector of the Hasbro 12" line for a long time and have just about all of the released figures, with the exception of some of the crap that they released during the last few years.

BUT...

For every Dengar atrocity and Padme bobblehead, they did release an Amazing Queen Amidala and cool Dooku. There certainly are some diamonds within the pile of coal.

With that being said, I decided long ago to ignore many of those Star Wars forums because of the constant griping and negativity. Back then everyone was wishing that a company like Sideshow would pick up the license and when it finally happened, they simply found something new to gripe and moan about. Sure, the price is pretty high, and to be honest, it's higher than what I was initially expecting, but on the flip-side the detailing is incomparable to what there was before AND the lower number of figures will only help the quality and value of the figures.

WHAT?!?!? Hasbro to Sideshow?!?!?!

No comparison. Hasbro's line blew walnuts. I collected them all and sold them last year, thank god! I thought they sucked and sucked bad.

Sideshow is awesome. I love the limited edition on the figures and the price, c'mon they' re quaility is second to none.

As for people on other boards screaming about them, too bad. I wasted good time and money on Hasbro and now I have something better to buy which ROCKS!!!! Hasbro is a screw job. I have much anger towards them as a company.

Sideshow has rocked. I have had no problem getting the ones I want.
ROCK ON SIDESHOW!!!!!

FlyAndFight said:
I've been a collector of the Hasbro 12" line for a long time and have just about all of the released figures, with the exception of some of the crap that they released during the last few years.

BUT...

For every Dengar atrocity and Padme bobblehead, they did release an Amazing Queen Amidala and cool Dooku. There certainly are some diamonds within the pile of coal.

With that being said, I decided long ago to ignore many of those Star Wars forums because of the constant griping and negativity. Back then everyone was wishing that a company like Sideshow would pick up the license and when it finally happened, they simply found something new to gripe and moan about. Sure, the price is pretty high, and to be honest, it's higher than what I was initially expecting, but on the flip-side the detailing is incomparable to what there was before AND the lower number of figures will only help the quality and value of the figures.

Exactly.:vader

I would be upset if I had missed out on the figures I wanted. But there is always Ebay and even though you will have to pay through the nose for them it is still an option for those who missed out. If the price is too high for me I pass or I save up until I can purchase it. Collecting is different for everyone, some can afford the high end pieces some have to settle for the cheaper avenues. But complaining about it won't change the company's marketing policy....they are doing it to make money, some like SS are alot nicer about it and interact with the fans of their products but they also are in it to make money. Simple fact of life.

I dont think this should even be considered a "backlash". For those people who are complaining about the 1/6 figures being Limited Editions, tough crap for them. If they dont like it, dont freakin buy it.

Secondly, if there are people complaining about the cost of the figures, tough crap too. If they cant afford it, dont freakin buy it.

It's very simple and I tend to block out people who complain for no good reason. Im not a millionaire and I cant afford a Ferrari but you dont see me complaining about that.

Back