If you bought Red Dead Redemption for PS3 at Best Buy please read

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue_rogue

Super Freak
Reaction score
I pre-ordered the game at my local Best Buy because I wanted the war horse. I was at Disney World last week though, and didn't get back until last night after the store had already closed.

Pre-orders for the game were supposed to have been picked up no later than yesterday, so when I went in to pick up my copy today they didn't have one behind the customer service desk for me, and they just grabbed one off the display at the front of the store. So I'm concerned that mine isn't going to have the code for the war horse inside. If it's not going to have the code I'd rather return it and get the game elsewhere.

So I'm wondering if the early copies with the code have a different upc than the copies without it. Would everyone who purchased the game for the PS3 at Best Buy post the upc number on the back of the game case and say whether or not yours came with the code for the war horse inside?

Much appreciated.

mine says 7 10425 37822 5.

it also has a sticker on the front that says the game has exclusive content of solomon's folly gang hideout and walton gang outfit.

i bought mine the day it came out at BB with the BB ad that stated it also has the war horse, but due to time comstraints i have not yet opened and played my game either. sorry...not much help.

Thanks guys. The upc on mine is different and matches the upc of a store that is selling the game online, so it looks like I missed out on the war horse.

I'm assuming of course you pre-ordered the item by placing some kind of deposit. Is that right?

Assuming you did, they have a contractual obligation to give you a game with the preorder goodies.

So i suggest you go to the store, show them the game you've got and ask them whether they can verify if this is the preorder copy with the special code.

If they say that they are not sure, ask them to open the copy in front of you and check. If they refuse to open it, then ask for a refund. They are legally obligated to refund your money at this point if they refuse to open the package.

Alternatively, you can actually open up the package in your house and check it yourself. If it doesn't have the code, take the item back to the store and ask for a proper replacement as per your preorder. Tell them the item you received is not "fit for the purpose for which it was purchased". If they tell you it is against their refund policy to give a refund for opened packages, tell them they are in breach of the consumer code and you can complain against them.

Usually at this point, the store manager will relent and just give you a refund and ask you to eff off hahaha.

I'm assuming of course you pre-ordered the item by placing some kind of deposit. Is that right?

Assuming you did, they have a contractual obligation to give you a game with the preorder goodies.

So i suggest you go to the store, show them the game you've got and ask them whether they can verify if this is the preorder copy with the special code.

If they say that they are not sure, ask them to open the copy in front of you and check. If they refuse to open it, then ask for a refund. They are legally obligated to refund your money at this point if they refuse to open the package.

Alternatively, you can actually open up the package in your house and check it yourself. If it doesn't have the code, take the item back to the store and ask for a proper replacement as per your preorder. Tell them the item you received is not "fit for the purpose for which it was purchased". If they tell you it is against their refund policy to give a refund for opened packages, tell them they are in breach of the consumer code and you can complain against them.

Usually at this point, the store manager will relent and just give you a refund and ask you to eff off hahaha.

A contractual obligation which was broken by BR, when he failed to show up to pick up the game by the day he agreed to when making the preorder.

Hey bud, I walked into Best Buy on Saturday and bought a copy off the shelf. Mine had a code inside for the Warhorse. However, I bought for XBox 360.

I just thought I'd let you know.

A contractual obligation which was broken by BR, when he failed to show up to pick up the game by the day he agreed to when making the preorder.

Unlikely.

If they want to forfeit his deposit just because he is one day late, best buy is placing too onerous a requirement on the threadstarter. He pays the $15 & has to also show up on the dot??

If he is late by 3 weeks I agree, best buy has every right to want to sell the thing off BUT in this instance, the reasonable thing to do is to keep the preorder copy for at least a few days OR return him the deposit if they run out of preorder copies. They can't just throw him an unknown copy & not do anything about his deposit. They should first find out what copy of the game they've given him & if it isn't the preorder one, they should give him back the deposit.

Either way, this guy is clearly getting taken advantaged of cuz he is a kid.

Many businesses are unscrupulous, they take advantage of the consumer.. quite often, most of their refund policies are total nonsense and are actually against the law. BUt many consumers do not know that.

Unlikely.

If they want to forfeit his deposit just because he is one day late, best buy is placing too onerous a requirement on the threadstarter. He pays the $15 & has to also show up on the dot??

If he is late by 3 weeks I agree, best buy has every right to want to sell the thing off BUT in this instance, the reasonable thing to do is to keep the preorder copy for at least a few days OR return him the deposit if they run out of preorder copies. They can't just throw him an unknown copy & not do anything about his deposit. They should first find out what copy of the game they've given him & if it isn't the preorder one, they should give him back the deposit.

Either way, this guy is clearly getting taken advantaged of cuz he is a kid.

Many businesses are unscrupulous, they take advantage of the consumer.. quite often, most of their refund policies are total nonsense and are actually against the law. BUt many consumers do not know that.

Hey, you can choose to look like the coupon lady at the checkout stand in a grocery store arguing semantics and throwing a hissyfit all day long. In the end, if you miss the last pick-up date, you're at fault, not the store. And if the deposit went toward the game, and he got a game, why should they refund it? They could refund his money so he could go elsewhere, but in the end he missed the last date to receive exclusive content. They owe him nothing. I don't get this type of entitlement thinking.

According to Blue_Rogue's profile page, he's 36.

:lol:rotfl:lol:rotfl:lol

It's not like the game just came out on Saturday. He had from Tuesday - Saturday to pick it up for the extra stuff. It does suck that he missed out on the content, but it's not Best Buys fault.

Imo it's a crapshoot. I think best buys get a certain amount of RDR games with the code inside, and if they have less preorders than games, the extra will just go on the shelves.

So it depends if your store already sold their allotment of games with the code in it. Only one way to find out...

According to Blue_Rogue's profile page, he's 36.

:lol
my bad.

I don't get this type of entitlement thinking.

There's nothing wrong with this "entitlement thinking" provided you are laying claim to something in which you truly are entitled to and not merely taking this consumer right's concept over and above what common sense dictates.

The threadstarter made a mistake yes, but is it reasonable for the poor fella to tear his hair out at his computer desparately searching google to work out whether he has a preorder copy?

With these kinds of store promotions, it's always best to pre-order them online and have them shipped to your place. Even if it means you get the game the day after its release, at least you don't have to worry about missing out on the exclusive promo.

I still say open it up. If it doesn't have the code, return it to the store with your pre-order receipt, where it should say "Best Buy exclusive" next to your deposit amount. That's the product you put money towards, and that's the product you were expecting.

Tell them you did not get the preordered content and ask them to give you a MS points card to purchase the content they did not give you.

Back