Iron Man 3 Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
Iron Man 3 Discussion Thread -SPOILERS

They are already talking about it and so shall we. This thread will probably sink to the bottom of the forum only to resurrect in time for the film as did the IM2 one. :yess:

‘Iron Man 3′ To Possibly Feature The Mandarin and 3D
Posted on 11 May 2010 by Conor O'Donnell in News

Love or hate Iron Man 2, it should come as no surprise that director Jon Favreau and Marvel are already gearing up for part 3, and Happy Hogan himself has intentions for Tony Stark’s next outing. First, there’s the not-so-surprising news that the film could feature 3D. Favreau has expressed interest in 3D for Iron Man 2, which means that the third film might ultimately be the first Marvel film to utilize the technology. As for the actual story, the director has made mention that The Mandarin could appear in the third film. This too is not terribly surprising, as the first film made reference to The Ten Rings, hearkening back to the villain’s ten magical rings in the original comics. The issue with The Mandarin, and Favreau addresses this, is the magic bit.

He notes that “the problem with The Mandarin is, the way it’s depicted in the comic books, you don’t want to see that. He also has 10 magical rings, and it just doesn’t feel right for our thing, so it’s either tech-based or the rings are not really rings.” He goes on to talk about the influence of the other Avengers members, like Thor, on the third part, suggesting that maybe the magic inherent in Kenneth Branagh’s Thor will make The Mandarin’s ten rings fit into the film more seamlessly.

Although introducing yet another villain into the franchise is to be expected, comic book audiences everywhere know how overload can hurt a film. It feels like the easier and more logical narrative path to take would be to follow through on the falling out between Tony Stark and James Rhodes, rather than cramming a new (less interesting) villain in the mix. Let’s not forget that The Avengers could even make any plot line tricky – just look at what it’s already done to Iron Man 2.

Are you excited for the third installment in the Iron Man franchise after Iron Man 2? Will 3D be a good route to take, and would you rather see The Mandarin involved than more War Machine? Sound off.

I find it interesting that they are waiting to see if Thor makes "magic" believable to audiences in the Marvel universe before tackling the Mandarin. It'd be nice so we don't see another forced suit on a villain but I wouldn't be surprised if they jump the gun in order to get the film out faster.

Last edited:
If you read Ironman 2 paperback it mentions the 10 Rings in respect to both Ivan and Hammer. The door is wide open for Mandarin as the next villian.

I am also intrigued with the idea to pursue Tony / Rhodey fallout. A more simple, focused story building on their characters has promise.

Well, I for one wouldn't really want to see Tony vs War Machine... I think the end of IM2 has kinda set it up that they are in good understanding and probably would fight back to back instead of against eachother...

Besides yet another armored suit vs armored suit thing could be repetitive.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Mandarin in some form. I haven't read any of the comics so I wouldn't be to upset if they change the magic thing into something more technological. But if they can find a believable way to portray him with magic powers then it's ok too.

We are getting the Avengers first anyway, and since Thor is in that, there will be somekind of magic involved already so it's not that it will be strange to this movie universe.

On a kind of related note though, the guy who helped Ivan escape prison in IM2, was credited as Ten-Rings-thug or something... So since he works for Hammer, is it kinda safe to assume that the Mandarin is already somehow involved and even has Hammer working for him or something?

They are already talking about it and so shall we. This thread will probably sink to the bottom of the forum only to resurrect in time for the film as did the IM2 one. :yess:

I find it interesting that they are waiting to see if Thor makes "magic" believable to audiences in the Marvel universe before tackling the Mandarin. It'd be nice so we don't see another forced suit on a villain but I wouldn't be surprised if they jump the gun in order to get the film out faster.

:yess::banana:banana:banana:banana:yess:

Well, I for one wouldn't really want to see Tony vs War Machine... I think the end of IM2 has kinda set it up that they are in good understanding and probably would fight back to back instead of against eachother...

Besides yet another armored suit vs armored suit thing could be repetitive.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Mandarin in some form. I haven't read any of the comics so I wouldn't be to upset if they change the magic thing into something more technological. But if they can find a believable way to portray him with magic powers then it's ok too.

We are getting the Avengers first anyway, and since Thor is in that, there will be somekind of magic involved already so it's not that it will be strange to this movie universe.

On a kind of related note though, the guy who helped Ivan escape prison in IM2, was credited as Ten-Rings-thug or something... So since he works for Hammer, is it kinda safe to assume that the Mandarin is already somehow involved and even has Hammer working for him or something?

most of iron man's bad guys all have suits except the mandarin lol

90% is about right. I find it interesting that Favreau is kind of laying the groundwork for Mandarin and says he is but its very subtile more in this than the first. He is expecting people I believe to see him in the third and go "Oh yeah! That is what that was from in the first two!" but most will not catch or be "meh" about it. He is trying to layer but ineffectually especially if its more flushed out in novelizations which a majority of the movie public never reads.

Mandarin's rings do the following:
Ice Blast (stun)
Black Light ("darkforce" used by Cloak, Darkstar, and the Shroud)
Mento-Intensifier (create illusions.)
Disintegration Beam (beam of energy that destroys all bonds between the atoms and molecules of the object it strikes)
Electro-Blast
Vortex Beam (Creates them)
Flame Blast (infrared radiation)
Impact Beam (project various forms of energy)
White Light (emit various forms of energy along the electromagnetic spectrum)
Matter Rearranger (rearrange the atoms and molecules of a substance, or speed up or slow down their movement)

Many of those effects or ate least something mimicking them could be done via tech. Let's not forget Mandarin's latest incarnation in the world of Cartoon:

Mandarin.jpg

So going the tech route isn't impossible but I would definitely like to see the more magical. Science versus Magic would make an interesting plotline.

**** the Mandarin, bring on some Crimson Dynamo.

Crimson Dynamo's basic character was merged with Whiplash's to create Vanko so I'd say that ship has sailed. Unless they use some other incarnation of Crimson Dynamo (there were multiples) but somehow I doubt that is where they are going.

There are actually 4. The latest is actually a young scientist named Anton Vanko but the relation to the film is in name alone and actually kind of confuses since the first Crimson Dynamo was a professor named Anton Vanko but Marvel is really known for their continuity. There have been 14 different Crimson Dynamos but I just don't think that Favreau and crew will be going for a different incarnation of something already done. Call it a hunch.

I like how fans are freaking out about the Mandarin's supernatural aspects, as well as the filmmakers seemingly tiptoeing around the concept, when they have no problem having Iron Man living in the same universe as Thor and his pantheon.

Say this isn't so. 3D aswell O dear, O dear this gets worse.

:lol We have your little film to thank for it.

I like how fans are freaking out about the Mandarin's supernatural aspects, as well as the filmmakers seemingly tiptoeing around the concept, when they have no problem having Iron Man living in the same universe as Thor and his pantheon.

I think Favreau stayed away from it because he didn't think he could make it believe and honestly I don't think he could have in what has been laid already. The introduction of Thor if done well will blow the doors off of that but until then I think you'll see him be cagey with how the Mandarin would have been included especially since he wanted the Mandarin since IM1.

The reason we have a sequel is because we have saddo's that go and see it umpteen times becuase they have no other way of filling thier time. It makes it seem like the film is doing well well in fact its just a small band of ppl seeing it againa and again.:pfft:

Back