If you had no LOTR WETA would you start over?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

customizerwannabe

An Evil Collector?
Reaction score
Another hypothetical. If you lost all of your pieces but were paid back...say from the insurance company exactly what you paid for them, would you start collecting again? You would only be paid back the price you paid, be it msrp or a higher or lower secondary market price. Based on current prices, and where the line has been and where it is going. I'm just curious how loyal you guys are to your collections.:naughty

I wouldn't start over, because I only got into this line after buying a single specific item- and I expected it would be my ONLY item.

And if I got back what I paid for that item (and the rest), and then questioned if I wanted to get my first statue again @ current market value, I'd say no because I've enjoyed it for a couple years, and the current market value is almost 10x as much and costs more than the limit on my creditcard- but I'd still wish for it back. :(

But! I wouldn't mind having all the money back. :)

Last edited:
Yes I would..........................although it would be a lot harder to get back all the pieces I currently have......................

Yeah, I would. These are really great pieces that capture something that means a lot to me. So I would not hesitate getting these back if something happened. IMO they are some of the best around no matter what others think.

Sure, why not after all I got into this “hobby” for the fun of it and NOT for the investment! I mean if you want a return on your money invest into the stock market, diamond mines, whatever, but not this!! This is a hobby meant for fun and don’t go get all worked up over the supposed money lost or gained over this, have fun and enjoy….

Originally quoted by Mr Fell Beast
Sure, why not after all I got into this “hobby” for the fun of it and NOT for the investment! I mean if you want a return on your money invest into the stock market, diamond mines, whatever, but not this!! This is a hobby meant for fun and don’t go get all worked up over the supposed money lost or gained over this, have fun and enjoy….

Wow..................I could not agree more with this statement.................perfect wording...................thanks MFB.................

jlcmsu said:
[...] IMO they are some of the best around no matter what others think.

Hey Josh, what do others think? Just wondering- the way you worded that made me think people have said they like some other line's items and think the SSW stuff is not very good. Where are these people? Should we form a lynch mob? :D

Mr Fell Beast said:

I agree totally M.:peace

Nemo Nint said:
Hey Josh, what do others think? Just wondering- the way you worded that made me think people have said they like some other line's items and think the SSW stuff is not very good. Where are these people? Should we form a lynch mob? :D

I'm not gonna get into any of that Nemo. I'm just gonna say that I know that there have been lots of folks that thought SSW was the best around (when the line was hot) then got out because (the line is over/cold) now they don't think that's the case. Me personally I've never waviered in that I think the SSW line is at least some of the best around. That's just all.:peace

jlcmsu said:
[...]I'm just gonna say that I know that there have been lots of folks that thought SSW was the best around (when the line was hot) then got out because (the line is over/cold) now they don't think that's the case. Me personally I've never waviered in that I think the SSW line is at least some of the best around. That's just all.:peace

Aso.. very cool. I count myself among the unwavering too. Truly, there are NO collectibles I would rather have than these SSW sculptures :D And if I suddenly didn't have them anymore, I'd just stop being a collector. I could possibly go as far as to sell the AQ bust, and my old comic collection even...
THe only piece of the pie I'm still in the collecting mode for is the piece that is the helm sub-line. I'm still going strong in that :rock :rock

Add me to the list of those who did not purchase as an investment. I just loved them, bought as much as I could and still have all of them and on display. I don't even have any of the boxes as I just don't have the room to store dozens of empty boxes.

So also add me to the list of those who would repurchase and what fun it would be going on the search all over again. It would be a new adventure -- frustrating at times, rewarding at times.

No indecision here.

Its has taken me three long years to Collect all the LOTR items I wanted. (I still want a Balrog and bronze Gandalf) I have spent a LOT of money and to be honest if something happened to my collection, would I start over?

Course I bloody would:wacky I would certainly give it a go, but as has already been noted in this thread, market prices have gone up and up over time so it would cost a lot more 2nd time around.

Having said that I may be torn, If I lost my collection, I may consider enlarging another line I colect like SW.

Yes I would absolutely start over. Half the fun is the chase and the opening of the box after getting a new/reacquired item. :cool:

Which gives me an idea. Ok, everyone head over to the Buy/Sell section and check out my new thread in about ten minutes. :wacky

When I check my tracker, it comes as a rude shock to see just how much I have invested in this "hobby". :horror

Though it's not complete, I would most probably try obtaining these pieces again. I know that the helms would be a royal pain to get again but that is currently my favorite line that I have...*

* along with the environments... and busts... and the few statues I do have... and... oh, nevermind...

FlyAndFight said:
When I check my tracker, it comes as a rude shock to see just how much I have invested in this "hobby". :horror

That is what it is right????:confused:

And that so called profit is speculation, as if you were to sell on the bay now who knows what you will fetch...

I guess it depends on what one defines as a "hobby".....:confused:

I defnitely would start over. I love my collection, and I am still adding to it.

I just bougth 9 HELMS, and an Easterling statue. Just last week.

So, if I had to start over, I sure would.

I would buy back a few pieces (RWoS, Gandalfax) but there would be no way I'd pay the current market prices for the Rog and CT for instance (paid retail for the Rog and about double retail for the CT)

Agent23 said:
I defnitely would start over. I love my collection, and I am still adding to it.

I just bougth 9 HELMS, and an Easterling statue. Just last week.

So, if I had to start over, I sure would.
Had too, HELL YOU DID!!!! :D :google

Helms huh, oh no WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!! :horror :horror :horror

This is a different question to different people. Someone who paid more than they're worth now might be very willing to get back in. I paid retail or less for all but 2 pieces (Uruk Scout Swordsman and Gimli statues).

To take that retail price and opt back in at today's prices would be ridiculous. I wouldn't even consider it. Just an affordable piece or two. Morgul Lord comes to mind.

Back