Home owners insurance question

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mesa

Super Freak
Reaction score
Those damn humans from Avatar just did this to my front yard's tree of life. I always knew having my house built on a large unobtanium deposit would come back and bite me in the ass.

IMG_3736 (Large).JPG

IMG_3737 (Large).JPG

IMG_3738 (Large).JPG

IMG_3739 (Large).JPG

It also took out a smaller tree on its way down.

So I got an appt setup for someone to have the tree removed tomorrow. Going to cost me $400. I was wondering if home owner's insurance would pay for that, especially since the tree is now resting on both my and my neighbor's home's roof. Anyone have any experience in filing a claim for something like this? I may be paying for repairs to my roof and my neighbors roof, depending on what it looks like once the tree is removed. My neighbor is very cool, so I'm not too worried about them suing me, but if there is damage to his roof, am I responsible for the repair costs since it was my tree?

I don't think there will be much damage, if any, but can't be sure.

And I just had this damn tree trimmed last year, costing me $300.

I just hope there isn't any extensive damage to the ceramic roof tiles. Also wondering if the tree sitting on the roof overnight will be a problem. I couldn't get anyone to come out today, and there's only about an hour of daylight left and this just happened an hour ago.

Ah, the joys of home ownership.

Nothing to add but the obvious. Read your policy and ring your insurance company. Best get the information from the source. You may be covered, you may not, and depending on your policy and your excess, it may or may not be worth claiming. Until the tree is removed you wont know what damage has been done to your and your neighbours property. So discuss it with your insurance company and be confident, that whatever costs may be incurred, you are fully covered.

Those damn humans from Avatar just did this to my front yard's tree of life. I always knew having my house built on a large unobtanium deposit would come back and bite me in the ass.

IMG_3736 (Large).JPG

IMG_3737 (Large).JPG

IMG_3738 (Large).JPG

IMG_3739 (Large).JPG

It also took out a smaller tree on its way down.

So I got an appt setup for someone to have the tree removed tomorrow. Going to cost me $400. I was wondering if home owner's insurance would pay for that, especially since the tree is now resting on both my and my neighbor's home's roof. Anyone have any experience in filing a claim for something like this? I may be paying for repairs to my roof and my neighbors roof, depending on what it looks like once the tree is removed. My neighbor is very cool, so I'm not too worried about them suing me, but if there is damage to his roof, am I responsible for the repair costs since it was my tree?

I don't think there will be much damage, if any, but can't be sure.

And I just had this damn tree trimmed last year, costing me $300.

I just hope there isn't any extensive damage to the ceramic roof tiles. Also wondering if the tree sitting on the roof overnight will be a problem. I couldn't get anyone to come out today, and there's only about an hour of daylight left and this just happened an hour ago.

Ah, the joys of home ownership.

It depends on how your policy reads. Is there any way the tree can be saved or did the main root break? It might be cheaper to see if you can replant it.

Are you asking if the insurance will pay the removal cost or reimburse you for the value of your tree?

I bet a nice tree like that is worth at least several thousand dollars maybe even $10,000. I would recommend checking to see if the value of the tree is covered.

If the tree itself is not covered then its probably not worth filing a claim just to have it removed.

I would think your homeowners policy should cover the cost of fixing the neighbors house, but yeah its probably on you to cover it rather than his insurance.

Edit...I googled info on tree value and one article says a mature tree could add as much as 10% to a property value. My belief is that a normal policy would include the tree, as the tree was probably part of the appraisal. I would get a tree expert to give you a seperate appraisal on the tree. I bet in AZ a nice mature tree like that is rare on property?

Oh yeah, also factor in any lost shade this tree provided to your home. Your cooling bill may go up! I whole heartily agree with Ween. See if they can replant this sucker.

Last edited:
Looks like not a big deal after all. I wasn't trying to salvage the Mesquite tree, or the Sweet Accacia tree that got taken out by proxy. I hated those damn trees. They were very dirty, meaning they dropped leaves and needels and bean-pods year round, so I'm glad they are now removed.

I was more asking that if the tree did do damage to the roof, is that something home insurance would cover to have it fixed, and if I was going to have to file a claim, could I then include the cost of removing the tree from against my house (and my yard) in the claim, after paying the deductible.

But I found a good 3-man team that was able to cut it up and chip it and pull/remove both stumps in about 4 hours. Happy to have it gone for less than $500, which is probably less than my deductible (I honestly don't know what that is as I've been lucky to not have to use my home insurance). I'm also glad that as the guys were cutting and dissembling that tree, that there was no damage to either my roof or my neighbors roof, which was my biggest concern. I don't know why there wasn't any damage, because that was a big ass tree and it was completely resting on the corner of my home and my neighbors home until it was removed some 16 hours later. So fortunately, no need to file a claim.

Looks like not a big deal after all. I wasn't trying to salvage the Mesquite tree, or the Sweet Accacia tree that got taken out by proxy. I hated those damn trees. They were very dirty, meaning they dropped leaves and needels and bean-pods year round, so I'm glad they are now removed.

I was more asking that if the tree did do damage to the roof, is that something home insurance would cover to have it fixed, and if I was going to have to file a claim, could I then include the cost of removing the tree from against my house (and my yard) in the claim, after paying the deductible.

But I found a good 3-man team that was able to cut it up and chip it and pull/remove both stumps in about 4 hours. Happy to have it gone for less than $500, which is probably less than my deductible (I honestly don't know what that is as I've been lucky to not have to use my home insurance). I'm also glad that as the guys were cutting and dissembling that tree, that there was no damage to either my roof or my neighbors roof, which was my biggest concern. I don't know why there wasn't any damage, because that was a big ass tree and it was completely resting on the corner of my home and my neighbors home until it was removed some 16 hours later. So fortunately, no need to file a claim.

The crappy part about insurance: we pay for it monthly "just in case" something happens. Then when it does happen, they'll cover the claim....then recoup those costs by raising your premiums.

The only time homeowner's insurance is truly worth it is in the case of total loss...unfortunately.

Back