Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2011

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ra88

Super Freak
Reaction score
Searched for a thread on this, didn't find one. But apparently there's a new Turtles movie in the works, and Latino Review even has a possible first look at Mikey (he says Raph, but the bandana is orange).

For some reason, I've been a magnet for new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles news. Back when I was working for another site, I was contacted by a person who will remain anonymous. Said person was ready to leak what they claimed to be the plot of the new, re-booted TMNT Live Action movie if the person they were working for at that time screwed them.

I was hesitant, but kept in contact just in case.

Anonymous Dude disappeared after a brief e-mail that he had re-connected with the TMNT staff and wouldn't need me to light a fire under anyone's ass. I still don't know if it was a guy with a paranoid dillusion or a guy with the actual new TMNT story somewhere on his desk. I kind of don't want to know, considering it all ended up being inconsequential.

Once again, something has rolled into my inbox with absolutely no explanation. I'm not sure it needs one.

I'm going to show it to you, then we can discuss:

TMNT.jpg

TMNT

Maybe I'm seeing what I want here...but is that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle mask based on a new design?

I'd like to stop here to remind everyone that I don't have some sort of TMNT Wikipedia at my disposal, so it's possible this is inspired by a different design and it's just some guy's final project for his senior mask-making class.

Or...

“The basic idea, as I understand it, is to do an all live action shoot, with actors and stuntmen in full Turtle suits,” explained Peter Laird, co-creator of the original comic series, to MTV News. “To add expressiveness to the Turtles’ faces which would be difficult if not impossible to get with animatronics and/or puppetry, there would be ‘face replacement,’ with CGI Turtle faces superimposed on the live action performers’ heads.”

That was the last we heard from the new TMNT "Batman Begins" style reboot back in August 2009. This new movie, coming to theaters in 2011 from Legendary Pictures, will be closer to the original comic, according to TMNT co-creator Peter Laird.

In that case, I feel it would be pertinent to mention that the original Turtles all had red masks, so we could be looking at any of the 4 here.

If it IS a movie head sculpted for a performance actor, this would be the rubber mask used for reference on set. The mask above isn't articulated enough for fluid motion, but would do fantastically for a lighting reference.

Yeah. I'm going to not loudly blert to everyone I know that I've seen the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles design. Even though I have no idea what else this could be.

I'll be digging. I'll let you know if I find anything.

https://www.latinoreview.com/news/what-might-be-new-ralph-9812

UPDATE: The 'leaked' pic was just a student project:

https://www.theeffectslab.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13657

Last edited:
How can a movie about a group of giant ninja turtles be realistic ?. :lol
I like the idea of taking a dark approach though , could be cool.
The turtle reminds me of a vulture.

l really liked the old live action turtle movies from the day.but l hope the turtles dont end up looking like that,way to ugly and alien like.the turtles should be cool looking like the other movies.not looking good so far.

I'm gonna go against the grain here and say that looks completely awesome. The turtles are in need of a massive redesign. Sorry to say, but they need to do everything they can to drop the "teenage" portion of their personalities. Mikey can still be goofy I guess, but the others need to be stone cold badasses. They need to be intimidating and actually kill people with their weapons. I'm really digging the rougher look in that pic....reminds me of a custom statue of leonardo I came across. I love the first TMNT live action movie, mostly for nostalgic purposes, but they need to update the characters to appeal to the older demographics.

10rqtj9.jpg

I really enjoyed the last animated movie, and I kinda wished they would continue that series. If it's going to be live action, I think updated versions of the old movie costumes is all that's needed. What's shown here is just terrible. There is no way this has anything to do with a new TMNT movie.

Doesn't Nickelodeon own TMNT now? Kids don't want to see that. Adults don't want to see that. Nickelodeon is smarter than that. This is just some guy making "what if they were real" concept art.

I'm going with the minority here, and going to say that I really like it. :rock

They're not trying to mimic that same look of the first three live action films. They're trying the same formula, but adopting a new look which I totally respect. They pulled it off quite well in my opinion (which surprises me to say the least.)

I'm excited! :lecture

The one thing I don't understand from the original post was the part in the interview that said:

“To add expressiveness to the Turtles’ faces which would be difficult if not impossible to get with animatronics and/or puppetry, there would be ‘face replacement,’ with CGI Turtle faces superimposed on the live action performers’ heads.”

Why is difficult/impossible to get some animatronics going for the facial expressions if that's what the original movies did? Is it just because it's not practical anymore when you have CGI? (I'm not the most savy when it comes to this stuff.)

I'm gonna go against the grain here and say that looks completely awesome. The turtles are in need of a massive redesign. Sorry to say, but they need to do everything they can to drop the "teenage" portion of their personalities. Mikey can still be goofy I guess, but the others need to be stone cold badasses. They need to be intimidating and actually kill people with their weapons. I'm really digging the rougher look in that pic....reminds me of a custom statue of leonardo I came across. I love the first TMNT live action movie, mostly for nostalgic purposes, but they need to update the characters to appeal to the older demographics.

10rqtj9.jpg

Agreed Bishop, I like this new approach.

Listen guys, I loved the original TMNT, but the fact is, its for kids. Its not like certain cartoons that translate well to an older generation IMO.

Last summer I got the oppurtunity to see Back to the Future, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Ghostbusters, Goonies, THe Shining, all kinds of awesome movies on the big screen including Turtles. But I have to say the original TMNT did not stack up to any of these. It was too watered down and corny.

I saw the TMNT animated movie on HBO and thought it was awful, too removed from the root story.

I say keep the old comic story but give it an adult edge. Its not so much about making it ultra realistic as it is just taking the material seriously.

Like the Fantastic Four reboot, they don't want to make it Batman Dark Knight ultra realisitic, but take the characters more seriously like an Iron Man. He still flys around with rocket boots, but he's not geared twoards an audience under the age of 12.

10rqtj9.jpg

I hope they would look like that.
that looks so bad ass.

Back