Samurai, Ninja, or Roman/Greek figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DiD have five excellent samurai figures out, so far, at quite reasonable prices considering they are all hand made/assembled outfits. There's the International versions, which are basic, and the Japanese version, which have extra's such as a seat, weapons rack, flags and a back drop included, but are much more expensive.

https://onlinedid.com/products/samurai/

None are the best. Pick the color you like and throw it on a Hot Toys True Type, any version. They all come with lots of weapons.

For the best Greek Hoplite, I'd go for the Weekend of Heroes Ignite special edition Spartan. What made it special was that it was weathered, came with two types of swords, a Lambda emblazoned shield, red colored cloak and tunic with black colored wave pattern, red crested helmet, and a faux leather gauntlets. There were only 300 of these made and they were pricey when first released.

If you can't find that version, I'd get the Leonidas figure. It was made in larger quantities so it's easier to find at a cheaper price. I'd shop around before committing to a purchase.

The regular Ignite Hoplite (blue tunic, Gorgon head shield) isn't very good. It has incorrect Greaves and tunic but if you're adventurous, you can hunt down some correct Greaves parted out from the later releases and hem the tunic to make it more accurate.

You will want to avoid the Hoplite II with Linothorax. I have one and the Linothorax armor is thin cheap and incorrect.

And it's also necessary to replace the bodies, I replaced most of mine with Hot Toys bodies.
The one on the left is a stock WOH Spartan, the middle one is the Leonidas with a Hot Toys Body and headsculpt, and the last one on the right also pictured individually, is the Regular Hoplite with a Hot Toys body and head sculpt, hemmed tunic, and correct replacement Greaves.
picture1225hd9.jpg

picture1228tl0.jpg

picture1118oe7.jpg

Here's a friend of mine's WOH Spartan on a replacement Hot Toys body:
IMG_5334.JPG

Also, none come with the bases pictured.

Other then the Ignite Greeks, Dragon made a Alexander the Great in Linothorax armor. The Linothorax is much better but impossible to remove and place on a better body. The head sculpt and helmet aren't great either. None of it is made of real metal like the Ignite figures so it looks a little cheap, but can be found for around for a cheap $20 price anyways.

I really like that WOH Spartan, how much would one of those run me today? Also what HT body was used for it?

I looked around and the only store that still might have it is Legends Hobbies:
https://legendshobbies.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/356
It's a pricey $88. I paid about $20 less for mine.

The bodies used are the Hot Toys PMC Operator '07 version on Leonidas and the Hot Toys PMC Contractor '05 version on my Hoplite and Doomhammer's Spartan.

Also does it come with swords or just the spear?

It comes with two types of swords, a Kopis and a Xiphos including their scabbards (no string to hang the scabbards with this release though), two spears (same type), and a shield. All but the shield is metal.

Here's one on Ebay, click the second image and enlarge to see the contents. The second sword is hard to see, it's by the figures side:
https://cgi.ebay.com/Time-Silhouett...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c53190cac

When you get yours, make sure to look thoroughly through the packaging for the leather gauntlets. I missed mine and only found them a year later when I was discarding the packaging.

Truth be told, by the time you factor in the cost of a muscle body (they run on average $50+), you will have already spent enough to straight-up purchase Leonidas from HT.

That must be the case today and will be especially true of Leonidas' body, but the two muscle bodies I used I paid $30 on one and $25 on the other. The key is to buy them when they have just been released and parted out, before the price skyrockets on the secondary market.

With the exception of the arms, most of the joints on the figure are usually covered by the costume anyways so visible joints aren't much of an issue. The knee joints are covered mostly by the greaves.

But for the money, I'd strongly suggest buying a DID Samurai. They're near works of art and a far better value then even the Hot Toys Leonidas figure. I own 3 so far and hope to own every release in the future.
https://onlinedid.com/products/samurai/index.htm

Back