Bring back the foam inserts for future PF releases please!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elwood49

Super Freak
Reaction score
I just got my Vader Exclusive replacement today. No "spill" on the base this time, but a few light scratches because of the stupid plastic cover in the package. I immediately threw both of those plastic covers in the trash. They are dangerous for the delicate bases on the droid and Vader. I guess the people that packaged the MR Vader helmets in China made their way over to the SS factory to add the plastic covers as well. ;)

This problem could have been avoided with the old foam box inserts like Han and Luke had. I hope they decided to bring those back for Obi-Wan. The foam would have been perfect for Vader. Any savings SS could have gotten from not using the foam was probably largely lost from all the Vader base returns they had. The foam would have been the perfect protection for the base.

It is almost certainly too late for Obi to have the foam if they already chose not to have it. Grievous is probably pretty far along in the packaging process as well. Hopefully Leia's packaging isn't finalized, so the foam can be added.

Bring back the foam box please!

I agree, elwood. The fancy dark gray foam is much better.

Either way, they must not use those plastic base covers again! We know that Obi-Wan will have the same base as Vader, and that awful plastic cover will scratch it up if gets used again. I would rather wait a few weeks longer to get a perfect Obi-Wan than open it up and find scratches on the base because of that loose fitting cheap plastic thing.

I regret not asking that in the chat, but perhaps Brant will address why they went back to styro for Vader.

I had speculated that it was because of the pose of the figure that foam wouldn't do the job, but it would be good to know that this was just for Vader (and perhaps Obi, since his pose is similar) and they aren't permanently moving away from the cut foam.

Darklord Dave said:
I had speculated that it was because of the pose of the figure that foam wouldn't do the job,

That's my guess as well. They probably wanted to have some extra support for Vader because of the pose and the wires that run through his arms. The scratches from the plastic really are disappointing, though.

The foam packaging for Luke and Han is probably the among the nicest of any collectible I own. No styrofoam bits everywhere to vacuum, no irritation to the bases from plastic, and of course no twisties.

Maybe someone from SS can chime in as to whether the foam will make a comeback with the new releases? Brant?

Darklord Dave said:
I regret not asking that in the chat, but perhaps Brant will address why they went back to styro for Vader.

I had speculated that it was because of the pose of the figure that foam wouldn't do the job, but it would be good to know that this was just for Vader (and perhaps Obi, since his pose is similar) and they aren't permanently moving away from the cut foam.
but if it were just for the pose, why would they change the outer box sleeve from clear plastic to cardboard?

I had some scratches on my base. I dont really want to return it over that. I figure I can repaint it if I really had to. But I was wondering how they got there.

NASEDO said:
I had some scratches on my base. I dont really want to return it over that. I figure I can repaint it if I really had to. But I was wondering how they got there.

There seem to be two problems with Vader- Blemishes in the coat on the surface of the base, and scratches along the rounded edge of the base. The blemishes seem to be a production problem, while the scratches seem to have occured as a result of the loose fitting plastic shield/cover rubbing against the base edge during transportation.

I would probably have returned my Vader if the glossy base surface had blemishes, but it did not. I did have some of the edge scratches, but it was not enough for me to want it replaced. It seems like it would be possible to paint over the base edge scratches if they were a real problem, but it would be much more difficult to fix the glossy surface.

I am anxious to see how Obi-Wan's identical base looks when it arrives...

My first reaction to the PF was with sheer amazement, largely because of the foam being used. I was so taken with the overall quality and presence when I first opened Luke, I agree it is much more elegant and practical - though I am still waiting on Vader. :google

After receiving my 2nd damaged Vader today, the foam seems even more needed.:sick

Hopefully the 3rd time will be the charm. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't leave on the east coast, since I have to wait about 3 weeks+ to get a replacement.

elwood49 said:
After receiving my 2nd damaged Vader today, the foam seems even more needed.:sick

Hopefully the 3rd time will be the charm. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't leave on the east coast, since I have to wait about 3 weeks+ to get a replacement.

What was the problem this time, I read your comments about scratches, was there something more? :horror

LOTRFan said:
What was the problem this time, I read your comments about scratches, was there something more? :horror

Yeah, one of Vader's tusks is broken off and the piece isn't in the box.:sick

I just checked the base this morning, but I saw the damage this afternoon when I took Vader out to put him in the display case. There is also a big white spot of glue on his mask.

Molded Foam VS Cut Foam

Thanks for the feedback on the Vader pieces. The breakages and damage reported so far have been in line with any other Sideshow product (very small percentage), so we're feeling confident in the difficult decision to use the molded foam.

For Obi-Wan and Vader, the cut foam wasn't as safe because of the poses and wire running through the arms. The extended arms are a weak point, and the molded foam is necessary to hold the sturdy parts of the figure firmly, while allowing cushion/space around the more delicate parts. The cut sponge foam doesn't allow the same stability.

Wait until you see the foam on Grievous. It's molded foam, and not cut foam, and a feat of engineering. There are a multitude of compartments within the foam to hold all of his body parts. Very, very elaborate, and there are twisties, but there sometimes isn't any better option for safely shipping the product.

Ah... that. Sometimes, our creative efforts are limited by marketing and branding agendas from the licensors. You will notice some changes in the look of the PF packaging.

I sure wish that the fine folks at Sideshow were allowed to let their imagination and creativity run free, instead of having to work things around various licensing demands. I liked the plastic sleeve! Maybe some other company has the exclusive rights to put plastic sleeves on their Star Wars products, forcing Sideshow to adjust their packaging plans. Hmmph.

My Vader arrived flawless, base included. However, I was a little clueless a first when Vader would not come out of the box, and ALAS I see gray twisty ties similar to Toybiz Toys in their 7" figure line. I was a little concerned having to pull the plastic through the styro.

As to care, can I polish Vader's helm with something like Endust to keep it nice and shiny? You ever notice how freakin shiny Vader's helmet was in ROTJ, I think they had some TurtleWax or something on it.

Back