Medicom Tetsuo

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Akira was so revolutionary back in the late 1980s/early 1990s. I can see that it might not have that same impact today, but at the time, it was a revelation.

Mature themed, graphically violent anime is a common thing these days, but back in the old pre-internet, pre-dvd days Akira was groundbreaking stuff. We'd never seen anything like that before. I could see where kids growing up nowadays would find it boring.

Beyond that, it was the first real anime film that I was personally exposed to. As ObsoleteMan says, that stuff wasn't easy to find in the U.S. back then at all, and to even know that a cartoon existed that was as technically sophisticated as something Disney could come up with, but not geared toward small children really struck a chord with me personally.

Mature themed, graphically violent anime is a common thing these days, but back in the old pre-internet, pre-dvd days Akira was groundbreaking stuff. We'd never seen anything like that before. I could see where kids growing up nowadays would find it boring.

:lecture

Not only that, but to me, the animation holds up to anything done today. And the soundtrack is still one of my favorites. A lot is owed to Akira.

Beyond that, it was the first real anime film that I was personally exposed to. As ObsoleteMan says, that stuff wasn't easy to find in the U.S. back then at all, and to even know that a cartoon existed that was as technically sophisticated as something Disney could come up with, but not geared toward small children really struck a chord with me personally.

I think this was the first anime I ever saw too. I think I paid something like $50 for the VHS when it was released back in the early 90s. I had already been collecting the comics and couldn't wait to see the movie.

Akira was also my first anime (back when people called it japanimation :lol).

Still my favorite... kind of like a junkies first high, you always are chasing it, but nothing ever compares to the first time.

Instant purchase. This is the first time we've ever gotten a true 1/6 Tetsuo figure, right? Must have if you're going to get Kaneda.

Im geting freaking kaneda, and im also getting this, omg are there anymore pics.

I'll admit that I have never seen Akira (please don't kill me), but I've heard many a great things about it. It's from the same era as a lot of other amazing Anime, so I have no doubt I'll love it too. I've been looking to get the Blu-Ray, just waiting for a good price.

This figure looks awesome, I've seen pics of the character and this looks like it jumped right off the screen. Medicom does it (in the anime category) again.

Get it on bluray its such a good movie. Or watch it animecrazy thats where i saw it, and how come medicom can make dbz but thiers no figures for freaking naruto and bleach and one piece. Uggghh.

I think if one goes into seeing Akira nowadays, they'll have to have an open mind because A) it's been twenty years since it was created and B) it's plot could be considered obtuse and hard to follow.

Still, in the pantheon of must-watch anime titles, Akira sits at the top with stuff like Ghost in the Shell or any Miyazaki film.

I'll admit that I have never seen Akira (please don't kill me), but I've heard many a great things about it. It's from the same era as a lot of other amazing Anime, so I have no doubt I'll love it too. I've been looking to get the Blu-Ray, just waiting for a good price.

You won't be sorry.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/aqp1BDXpAJU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/aqp1BDXpAJU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Wow! This looks great!!

I really wanna see whats going on in the background with Evangelion!

U got any links about that Batty?

Back