12" Bespin Han Solo headsculpt vs. AMAZING custom headsculpt...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indiana Fett

Making this up as I go...
CF Supporter
Reaction score
OK, Don't get me wrong...I think the Sideshow headsculpts are generally amazing. The headsculpts for the 12" Luke, Obi-Wan (Ewan), Anakin (Hayden), Mace, Kit Fisto, Aragorn and Legolas are INCREDIBLE! Just check these boards and you'll see MANY positive comments. I just personally found the 12" Han Solo a little...generic in comparison. The costume is AWESOME, and I'm glad they started the line with Bespin Han Solo, as that's my favourite costume incarnation of Solo. I mean that belt is a thing of beauty! Just wondered what the general consensus was on the headsculpt. To me it seems a little puffy in the cheeks and lacks overall Harrison Ford definition. And it's not in the paint application...Just compare the unpainted Obi-Wan head in the blog to the painted version and it's INCREDIBLE how bang-on the sculpt is...yet the Han...

Compare the Sideshow version in the blog to this AWESOME custom found online...both unpainted:

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/prodblog/020606_han.jpg

custom

https://www.h2creative.com/Solo1.jpg

...If the version in the prototypes/at Toyfare is the final headsculpt, I may update my 12" Bespin Solo with a custom head...

...just a thought. Keep up the GREAT work Sideshow. The Star Wars and LOTR 12" lines are a dream come true! THANKS!!!

:joy

True Gonzo...now that you've pointed it out, the nostrils do look a little lopsided in that image...but overall, I personally think it just looks WAY more like Harrison Ford than the Sideshow sculpt does...even if it's not quite perfect...

I must concede that the Sideshow version looks more like Harrison Ford than that custom. I think it is the paint job that does the most damage. Using a lighter brown for the hair (Han's hair was about the same tone as Chewie's if you look in the pics) and more details in the skin might do wonders.

I have that head and it's very good. I think it and the SSC head equally resemble HF.

It is always difficult to tell exactly how good a 3-D sculpt likness is from a 2-D image, but from what I can see the Sideshow sculpt is the closer likeness. The other sculpt is good, but I just like the one we're getting better.

While those three heads look good and the sculpt is nice, they are all the same with just different hair. Harrison Ford looked different in the face in those 3 movies.

Thanks captain sack, for posting those photos of those awesome sculpts. I have the Indiana Jones and the Deckard versions and they look AWESOME painted on their respective figures (custom Indiana, Medicom Android Hunter - Blade Runner). While I do agree with EVILFACE also, that Harrison's face was a little different in all those films (heck, it was very different between all the Star Wars films!), These heads look AMAZING on the figures, and match nicely on my shelf. Perhaps that's why I'm partial to them...I just personally find that they have a better 'overall' H. Ford appearance. Perhaps it's something that needs to be seen in person to fully understand. Unfortunately the sculptor no longer makes the Solo version (probably got a C&D from Lucasfilm)...But I do have an extra unpainted Indiana head that I plan on adding some 'sculpy' hair onto...

Guess it's all just a matter of opinion...but personally, I find that the Han Solo sculpt is the weakest of the Sideshow sculpts so far...at least from the photos I've seen...

...but, the costume looks AWESOME!!!

:D

captain sack said:
you think sideshow's version looks better than these?:confused:

While neither of them capture the likeness of Harrison Ford, IMO, the Sideshow sculpt comes closer than the custom. Look at Harrison Ford's nose and eyes. They don't match the custom. The custom's nose is too big and has a hook to it. As you can see in this pic, the tip of HF's nose isn't that big.

56081069-M-1.jpg

Captain Sack, can you get higher res pics so we can do a better comparison? And upload them onto imageshack so I can use them too :)

EVILFACE said:
While those three heads look good and the sculpt is nice, they are all the same with just different hair. Harrison Ford looked different in the face in those 3 movies.

these three films, ROTJ, blade runner and Raiders of the Lost Ark, were all made withing a 2-3 year period. it's not like comparing a 30 year old harrison ford to a 60 year old harrison ford.

i actually like the sideshow sculpt, but seeing these three sculpts in person, they're the best harrison ford sculpts i've seen in 1/6th scale.:peace

JustinLuck said:
While neither of them capture the likeness of Harrison Ford, IMO, the Sideshow sculpt comes closer than the custom. Look at Harrison Ford's nose and eyes. They don't match the custom. The custom's nose is too big and has a hook to it.

a person's eyes can be different from photo to photo. and i've noticed this particular sculptor tends to portray eyes kinda squinted, like the character is very serious about something. maybe the nose is a bit big, but ford's nose does curve in real life.

Sorry, when I said hook, I didn't mean the bend. Yes his nose does have quite a bend in it ;) But I'm talking about the tip of the nose. In the custom sculpt, the tip appears to bend over a bit with the nostrils on either side. But from all the pics I captured from ESB, the tip is actually quite small.

I have the Indiana Jones head sculpt and it looks very much like him, not 100%. The Sideshow one seams the same to me, almost there but not 100%.
I really don't have much of a problem with Sideshow's head sculpt. It's a character that I love, and would like his head sculpts to be perfect (same as Samuel L. Jackson), but I look at it and don't have much of a problem with the likeness. It's satisfactory I guess.
But I do agree that the Hair color is too dark, it should be a lighter brown.

Back