Watchmen confusion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oscar_the_Gungan

Super Freak
Reaction score
I hope I'm not beating a dead horse or that I have missed something obvious, but I'm real confused about Hot Toys and whether there will at least be a Rorschach figure. On various threads I read people saying its a done deal. No more will be made after the Comedian, and then others say they have seen pictures of portrait prototypes and its inevitable we are getting at least one more. I guess what I'm confused about is I've heard people on both sides of the argument say with an air of authority that they know what the truth is. Has anyone from Hot Toys weighed on whether or not the line is done? Or is a line ever done at Hot Toys and it is something we see years from now? Does anyone know anything that can be backed up as fact? Again if I missed something obvious just let me know and lock this thread if needs be. I'm just very confused.

The answer is...no one knows for sure. There was a picture of a Rorschach in HT's offices at some point, and there was a lot of discussion back and forth about whether it was a DC Direct or a HT "prototype." Some said this and that detail was different than the DCD. Others said no, it was a DCD. No one knows for sure.

I would say that the longer we wait until we hear something, the less likely it is. HT has a LOT of licenses planned for 2010, and you KNOW they're going to do Avatar and Clash of the Titans a good deal of service. Personally? I think they planned a Rorschach. They may even have a prototype. But there was less than stellar sales of Silk Spectre and Comedian. And with MJ's death, they moved up production of the MJ figures, which probably inched out Rorschach. I hope they'll make him. I really do. But that hope is getting slimmer and slimmer. I'm really disappointed in the reception Watchmen had, but unfortunately I'm just one man!

It was a HT one, 100% sure on that. DCD's coat was cloth, not leatherish.

Plus there was the Ghost Rider figure there too. I've heard not only are we getting Ghost Rider, but his bike as well. And since neither of these 2 figures have been anounced yet, I'm not worried about either just yet.

That is the DCD one. It just shows how much they suck in the manufacturing process. The bad paint doesn't help either. But that is Andy B's head used on the DCD 13" figure sadly.

I was happy when this line was announced. I was surprised when SSII was announced first, as I was hoping she would be made, but not if Rorschach will not be made. He is essential to the line. I understand if Hot Toys decides not to make him due to profit, but from a fan perspective, it made no sense to make SSII and not Rorschach. I can only hope he will come soon.

That news reads like some horribly ironic joke.

They may not make Night Owl II, but they will make one of the most poorly received Marvel movie characters there has been to date? :banghead
Despite that, Ghostrider is still way more popular than the most popular Watchmen character. It isn't just fans of the film who will get him, but fans of the comic or character generally. Plus, he looks really cool, despite the sucky movie.

Ill buy Ghostrider because he looks cool... Even though the movie was plain bad and I havent read a single comic of it...

I didnt say that... But I dont really want a Ror or NO 2 that much... I got the Watchmen I wanted made already hes my favorit of the bunch... The Comedian of course... Thas not to say I wouldnt be tempted and end up buying a Rorschach if they made one...

I bought Silk Spectre. The Comedian is already en route.

I would definitely buy a Rorschach. He is the first option.

That's what I don't understand about Hot Toys. It seems like they are keeping the best for latter, but the line ends before it comes.

How hard could it be to make Rorschach? He's a human character on an ordinary true type, there's no light up features or anything that would require a lot of R & D.

Despite that, Ghostrider is still way more popular than the most popular Watchmen character. It isn't just fans of the film who will get him, but fans of the comic or character generally. Plus, he looks really cool, despite the sucky movie.

Must be a guy thing. I don't usually say that, but ever since I was a kid Ghost Rider was my black sheep among superheroes. Nothing about the character appealed to me, even the Punisher seemed more interesting. I left his minimate (which came with classic Iron Man) in its box for five years before displaying him.

Anyway Silk Spectre II needs Night Owl II. Together they were my favourite Watchmen, although I had hoped HT would do a really high quality Dr. Manhattan too. Not only did DCD not touch Nite Owl, but without HT, a custom would be one of the more difficult costumes imaginable to recreate.

That's what I don't understand about Hot Toys. It seems like they are keeping the best for latter, but the line ends before it comes.

They made three fundamental mistakes:

1) They led with a female figure, knowing that female figures almost always are less popular than male/mechanical characters in a hobby dominated by men (that's just the way the world works).

2) They followed up with a figure that DC Direct had already done a credible job on based on people's reports here at SSF.

3) They gave Comedian only one head sculpt with an expression that frankly makes me think 'want some candy little girl'...plus the whole smiley face button fail.

Basically they did everything they could to not succeed with this line, including keeping fans unsure if they would do all six figures. Night Owl should either have been their lead figure or Silk Spectre should have been released simultaneously with him since they are an obvious pairing.

Back