‘Ask Sideshow’ Questions Answered - MARVEL - 02/18/10

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzylojiks

Super Freak
Reaction score
Your Questions Answered - Toy Fair 2010 - 02/18/10

Any chance that you plan to make the rest of the Fantastic Four members in Premium Format? My Thing PF feels very lonely :(

While not currently in development, there is a chance that we would produce all Four members in 1:4 scale in either Premium Format or the Comiquette line. We are working on designs for a complete Fantastic Four team-up in the Comiquette line, but they are likely to be in a smaller scale than the Thing PF.

Sideshow has done an amazing job with the Marvel VS Diorama line. I was wondering if we might see more face-offs from the “Civil War” comics? Maybe a Captain America vs Iron Man, perhaps?

Great suggestion, and it is definitely one that we have considered. It’s not currently in development, but it is possible for down the road.

I love the classic Marvel comics and I would love seeing Sideshow tackling more on the classic Marvel confrontation moments. Are there any plans for Dr. Doom VS Fantastic Four Diorama set from you guys? I would think it will be a great diorama and only you guys can deliver it to us with best quality!

Yes, we have several concepts for how to best represent Doom’s ongoing struggles with the Fantastic Four. It’s not in the cards for 2010, but is possible for some time after.

I love your Marvel line, and I was just wondering if you guys considered making a Thor Comiquette with the modern comic armor.

Thor is definitely due for some attention, especially with the upcoming film and current big Asgardian storyline. Thor is definitely getting a major, BIG representation this year, but we cannot confirm a modern armor Comiquette just yet.

What are the chances of some characters from Marvel Zombies to be in your plans?

Strangely enough, Marvel Zombies does not fall within our existing rights with Marvel. While we might be willing to take it on, we haven’t felt compelled. We’ve still barely scratched the surface of the Marvel Universe without any of the ‘alternate’ storylines.

With the AH!, Brooks and Cho Comiquette lines, it seems we have more room for female figures. Any chance of seeing the following X-babes make it to the Comiquette (or even Premium Format) line in the next year - Psylocke, Storm, Polaris, Dazzler? Also, when will the first Cho comiquette be revealed?

Absolutely. Psylocke will have her reveal very soon, and designs for Storm are in the works. Polaris, Dazzler, and others may come down the road, but no concepts for those lovelies have been drawn yet. There are several other femme fatales in development, so you won’t have to wait long for your next Marvel girl fix. At this point, we’re uncertain when the Cho series will get off the ground - stay tuned.

Shall we wait for new Iron Man products to be revealed in 2010?? Also, what about the Gambit statue?? When will it be available?

Oh yes, there will be more Iron Man product in 2010. Iron Man 2 means lots and lots of greatness - including a few pieces that the collector community has been requesting for a LONG time (1:4 scale, say no more). Gambit is available now - hope you like him!

Is it possible to make a Gambit Comiquette? Also, what about an Iron Man Mark V armor??

Gambit could see Comiquette treatment in 2011 or later but is not currently in development. You will get a first look at our plans for Iron Man 2 very, very soon!

I love all your Marvel lines, whether it be Comiquettes, Premium Format, Legendary Scale Busts, or the ‘VS’ Diorama line. Will we ever see a Jean Grey/Phoenix or Jean Grey/Marvel Girl in these lines?

Absolutely. Phoenix has been on and off our planning for several years, sort of waiting for just the right interpretation - something a little fresh and unexpected. Jean Grey in her original Marvel Girl costume is a little less likely (for now), unless we were to do a team-up of classic X-Men, which is entirely possible.

Are there any plans to release a classic Loki Premium Format Figure to accompany the released Thor figure? Suggestion: Please keep Loki classic in his male appearance. Cheers!

Not a bad idea, but you’ve got to give Loki some credit for his sexy new look too. For PF, male Loki would certainly be the more likely option.

I am a big fan of Marvel’s Asgardian characters. So far, I have Thor Premium Format and Thor vs Loki Polystone Diorama from Sideshow. They are easily my top favorite collectibles. Is Loki (larger scale than VS dio) being planned for the following categories: PF, comiquette and Legendary Scale Bust? I’d definitely wish to see more Asgardians from Sideshow before the upcoming Thor Movie!

We do have several designs for Loki in other formats (non Dio), and we’ll definitely pass your suggestion through to the design team. It seems that we’re not the only ones excited about the coming movie!

Of all the upcoming Marvel products from Sideshow, Loki Premium Format figure is the piece that I am looking most forward to. I really love the line-up so far for the PF line: Captain America PF/Red Skull PF, Hulk PF/Abomination PF, Wolverine PF/Sabertooth PF…etc. They are really great match-ups and I am very excited to see what you guys have in store for Loki PF since he is the first Avenger villain and also the nemesis of Thor. Will a future Loki PF be based on classic Loki (male version) from the comic book?

Yes, a Loki PF would most certainly be based on his classic male look. With the PF line, we really have tried to capture those famous conflicts, and we plan to continue that in the future.

With Bowen Designs recently Releasing a Cable statue, does Sideshow have any plans for a Cable Comiquette? Possibly with baby Hope as an EX?

Cable is in our planning for both Comiquette and Premium Format series. Both are currently in the design phase and are likely to move into sculpture soon.

I just pre-ordered the dynamic Spider-Woman Legendary Scale Bust, which I really love, but I was wondering if we might be fortunate enough to see the rest of her get the Premium Format treatment someday or possibly be featured as an upcoming comiquette?

Certainly possible! Spider-Woman is a great character and a real looker - a winning combination for future release in a large full-figure format.

I’d like to know if we’ll ever see any film-based Marvel characters get the Premium Format treatment, like your Star Wars line? For instance, maybe Hugh Jackman/Wolverine, Wesley Snipes/Blade, Jessica Alba/Sue Storm, Jennifer Garner/Elektra, or Robert Downey Jr./Iron Man Premium Formats, just to name a few?

Our creative team seems to favor the comic interpretations of most characters over their film counterparts, but it’s entirely possible that they will dip into one or more of the 90’s and 2000’s Marvel films for inspiration. If we had to bet, it would most likely be from the X-Men franchise.

Could you tell me if either you or Hot Toys has any plans to create products based on the Punisher: War Zone film characters or has that ship already sailed?

We cannot speak for Hot Toys, but it’s safe to say that the ship left port with regard to Sideshow.

I really like how the cape of Emma Frost PF turns out. The cape itself looks really dynamic in the air. Will we see more caped Marvel characters like Magneto in Premium Format? Magneto PF will look stunning with a real cape.

Agreed! Yes, in fact, our creative leads are currently reviewing another Premium Format Marvel prototype piece with a cape and working at incorporating the same sort of effect from Emma’s cape.

I only collect Marvel Comiquette products because I am not a fan of Premium Format fabrics. Fortunately for me that now some of the characters like Elektra and Punisher are being offered as Comiquettes as well as the previous PF figures. I am curious to know if Sideshow is continuing to offer more Marvel PF characters as Comiquettes? I am most excited to see a Dr. Doom Comiquette piece from Sideshow!

Absolutely, yes. We recognize that different collectors have different tastes, and some do prefer full sculpture while some love the real fabric elements. Popular characters like Doom, for example, deserve to see releases in each format, although we do our best to spread them out so that fans of characters like Doom don’t get hit with four or five Doom products all at the same time.

I finally got the Classic Iron Man Comiquette piece, and I was totally amazed by how the Iron Man helmet turned out! Your Development Team did a fantastic job at making the helmet to look realistic by sculpting the helmet separately from the face sculpt. Is it possible to see the following Marvel characters (with helmets/armors) offered as Comiquettes: Doctor Doom, Iron Patriot, Stryfe (Cable clone). At a 1:4 scale, you guys have done a perfect job capturing all the details on every released Comiquette so far.

Doom and Iron Patriot are very good suggestions and are both on our design team’s wish lists. Stryfe has not been mentioned yet, but Cable certainly is in the works. Thanks for the compliments. We’ll certainly share them with the team!

I know that Sideshow has produced Iron Man Comiquettes in the past and has recently released pre-orders for the Hulkbuster. Just wondering if there are any plans for a War Machine Comiquette in the near future? Or maybe a Captain America Vs. Iron Man Diorama based on the Civil War story. I think they would both make great centerpieces for anyone’s Marvel collection. Any thoughts?

Both are great suggestions and definitely have been discussed internally. War Machine is definitely part of the plans for 2010, thanks to his appearance in Iron Man 2.

The new Premium Format Wolverine statue is a thing of beauty, and as a huge fan of Wolverine, I’d love to have one (doubtful, as it’s way out of my price range) but, I’m puzzled as to why you chose to put him in his blue and yellow Jim Lee era costume and not the more popular brown and tan John Byrne era costume? Especially since Sideshow already did a 1/4 scale version of the blue and yellow Wolverine as a Comiquette? Also is there any chance of Sideshow releasing an alternative costume version of this statue in the future?

Yes, we are exploring the brown costume version of Wolverine, perhaps as an alternate version of this very PF. It’s hard to say which is most iconic - Wolverine is not lacking for good costume options.

How about a 90’s Psylocke and/or a 90’s Rogue Premium Format? I’d also like to see a Black Cat Premium Format! And…here’s an interesting thought…how about a Tigra PF? Rowwwrrr!

You’re definitely more than warm! Psylocke is soon to debut in Comiquette form, Rogue and Black Cat in Premium Format, and Tigra is on our list of candidates for 2011 or later.

I would really like to see you guys make a Sentinel anything. A Legendary Scale Bust, Comiquette, or Diorama. I know you guys did multiple X-Men VS Sentinel dioramas, but I missed out on the best one, which was the first one. I still want more Sentinel statues and would love to see Wolverine cutting open the head of a Sentinel in a diorama. A light up feature would look awesome on EVERY Sentinel statue. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do something else featuring this mutant-destroying robot!

We agree. The Sentinel will make an excellent large-size full-bodied piece. While we’re not actively developing a Sentinel yet, it is part of our line list for 2011-ish.

Concerning the Wolverine Premium Format… Many people, including myself, have shown a dislike to the large seams on the front of his pants. Is it possible to remove those seams in production? Also, when are we going to see a Brown suit Wolverine? Either comiquette or PF?

The seams on Wolverine’s costume are an intentional part of the design, intended to give a little more dimension to the costume. Brown suit Wolverine should make an appearance in 2010.

It’s long been a source of befuddlement for me that there are no quality 1:6 Marvel figures out there, apart from the few Medicom RAH figures from a couple of years ago. Especially having now seen the new Premium Format Wolverine, I was wondering if Sideshow had any thoughts of at last producing high-quality 1/6 scale figures of the classic heroes?

It’s something we discuss from time to time. Our hesitation is mostly with the concern about doing it right and doing a very BIG line - we need to complete a number of different body styles to best represent the superhero musculature, and it is prohibitive to do so in 1:6 scale but not impossible. For now, we’re very pleased with what Hot Toys is doing for the film based figure line.

With Daredevil high on your to-do list, can we look forward to a Bullseye Premium Format or Comiquette in the not-to-distant future? I was disappointed to see the Daredevil diorama include Punisher instead of Bullseye or Kingpin. Come on Sideshow, you know DD, and Elektra for that matter, need Bullseye to match up against!

We agree fully! This question was certainly submitted before we unveiled our Bullseye Comiquette, and we hope you like him!

I can’t exactly remember how long ago I saw this dio here on Sideshow, but I do know that I’ll never forget it. The Hulk vs. Spider-Man. The city street was all ripped up and Spidey was perched on a downed street light, ready to spring. It was jaw-droppingly awesome. The sculpting and level of detail was so well done, it was almost frightening. Since then, there have been other great dios (the Capt. America/Red Skull dio comes to mind) but none have quite matched that extreme level of radness, in my opinion. Don’t get wrong, I love Sideshow’s stuff, I just feel that the opportunities are limitless with all the super cool classic characters that have yet to be made. Are there plans for a Juggernaut dio? Anything goin’ on with Nightcrawler, Deadpool, or maybe a Kraven the Hunter vs. Spidey dio from “Kraven’s Last Hunt”?

Juggernaut, Nightcrawler, and Deadpool are all in development, most likely to see release in 2011, but not in diorama form. We certainly understand what you’re looking for, and we’ll pass along the suggestion for another mega-scene sort of Diorama.

Any chance of re-production of Dr. Doom Exclusive Premium Format? The previous quantity sold is too low & it is a great detailed Masterpiece! More collectors should have a second chance at the re-make!
-AND-
Since interest in your Marvel line has grown tremendously, is there any thought to revisiting older collectibles that are massively sought after today? The demand for the Doom, Hulk, and Captain America Premium Formats are off the scale - making a second run of the regular editions would surely sell much better than Man-Thing, Abomination, or X-23

We don’t intend to re-release previously sold out collectibles, but we do intend to revisit those characters with new Premium Format figures or Comiquette versions. While Captain America may always outsell Abomination, we believe that those lesser-known characters are essential to the health of the line. Many collectors want a variety of characters not just the big names.

Will you ever make Marvel characters such as Deadpool, Moon Knight, Black Bolt, etc…???

Deadpool is a definite. Moon Knight is likely in the future, and Black Bolt is a maybe (for now).

Source

Interesting stuff.

Last edited:
Hmmm. In summary.....

In Development
Psylocke (reveal soon) (Comiquette) (2010)
Rogue (PF)
Black Cat (PF)
Storm
More Iron Man products (2010)
1:4 IM!!!!
Warmachine (2010)
Wolverine (Brown suit) (2010)
Juggernaut (2011)
Nightcrawler (2011)
Deadpool (2011)
Cable (Comiquette/PF) (Planning Phase)

Possible future plans
Fantastic Four: 1:4 scale PF or Comiquette
Gambit comiquette (2011 or later)
Bullseye (PF)
Phoenix
Spiderwoman (full figure)
Doom
Iron Patriot
Wolverine (Brown costume, possible alternative version of existing PF)
Moon Knight
Black Bolt
Tigra (2011 or later)
Sentinels (2011ish)

Under Consideration...
Civil War Dios
Doom vs. FF (not 2010)
Thor
Loki (male), (non-dio) (PF)

Unlikely
Marvel zombies (no licence)
Jean Grey
Punisher: War Zone

Last edited:
I'll believe there's a DD in the works when I see it at this point

Yeah I'm waiting for news on that as well.

it's pretty obivious the x men PFs will all be the jim lee era.

Yeah seems like that ink, since Cyclops was touted as a 1:4 PF from the last 'Ask Marvel' session and his sneak was in Jim Lee's garb, it would be weird if they didn't release all of them that way.

I wonder how they are going to do the costuming in PF, I didn't like their previous permutations of cloth, and are they all going to have those sad Red-X bases like pieces in some huge board game.......

Yeah I'm waiting for news on that as well.

Yeah seems like that ink, since Cyclops was touted as a 1:4 PF from the last 'Ask Marvel' session and his sneak was in Jim Lee's garb, it would be weird if they didn't release all of them that way.

I wonder how they are going to do the costuming in PF, I didn't like their previous permutations of cloth, and are they all going to have those sad Red-X bases like pieces in some huge board game.......

I wouldn't mind seeing one big base to put them all on(not that I don't like the X bases)

I'm guessing his belt, gloves...maybe boots will be PF, rest will be sculpted

I wander when the limited Brown Costume Wolvie will appear, I will be gunning for that one, u know its goin to happen :monkey3

I am so happy, guys! Looks like Sideshow got lots of big plans for Dr. Doom and Loki :rock

Great news!

In Development
Rogue (PF)
Black Cat (PF)
Storm
Warmachine (2010)
Juggernaut (2011)
Nightcrawler (2011)
Deadpool (2011)

I wouldn't mind seeing one big base to put them all on(not that I don't like the X bases)

I'm guessing his belt, gloves...maybe boots will be PF, rest will be sculpted

Aye, I guess a custom base like that wounldn't be too hard to make once we get all the figures.

You are probably right about belt gloves and boots and possibly his visor. I'm glad they are moving away from the stretchy spandex adult diaper look. :p

Great news!

In Development
Rogue (PF)
Black Cat (PF)
Storm
Warmachine (2010)
Juggernaut (2011)
Nightcrawler (2011)
Deadpool (2011)

Man I'm excited about all those as well, especially Wolverine, Psylocke, Rogue and Nightcrawler. I can't wait to get all the X-men together :)

Aye, I guess a custom base like that wounldn't be too hard to make once we get all the figures.

You are probably right about belt gloves and boots and possibly his visor. I'm glad they are moving away from the stretchy spandex adult diaper look. :p

I wonder what a rubbery latex material would look like? or if that could even be done?

I wonder what a rubbery latex material would look like? or if that could even be done?

It could possibly look good but it will have to be a really really thin layer painted on for proper definition of the sculpted musculature. That could cost quite a bit too and have mass production issues. Interesting idea but may have too many barriers. Sounds really cool though.

Back