A General Chat about Hot Toys

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eamon

Super Freak
Reaction score
I see a lot of the same heads in the various Hot Toys threads, from Wolverine to Dallas. So it's fair to assume that there are folks who collect Hot Toys in general.

As I am a relative newcomer to HT and indeed these boards (which I really like btw). I would like to open up a chat with other HT collectors and discuss, your over all buying habits, your have and have nots, your hopes, your uncertainties, your methods of financing, and general figure talk.

I'll give a quick out line of myself to get the ball rolling.
My first HT was Iron Man MIII. He's still one of my favourites. I got him from my girl in september. Since then I have 9 more figures.
It's quite mad as to just how much they have me by the cajones.
I wouldn't mind but a year ago, I regarded HT as nothing more than glorified dolls.
Now that may or may not have been the case a year ago, I think that notion can go out the window as HT are really kicking much ass in the last 12 months.

I am a freelance illustrator so money can be very erratic for me but luckily I have been able to score most of my HT via art trades and what not.

I've also given up buying all other figures and stuff aside from Masters of the Universe Classics.
I'm selling stuff left right and center.
Stuff that to me now seems cheap, nasty and childish by comparason.

What about you guys? what's yer schtoory!! :D

...It's quite mad as to just how much they have me by the cajones.

:lol

:lecture :lecture :lecture

I got sucked in in 2005 with the ALIENS USCM Marines figures...then Robocop and ED-209...then the ALIENS Alien warrior figures and the Power-Loader...then the ALIEN Dallas and Kane...now all the IRON MAN figures, and Wolverine, and the Big-Chap...yup, it's an addiction. And I'm locked in. :D

Yeah they started out making unlicensed figure, like their Matrix figure ( Ironic how they still haven't made an official one yet) I think when they first started to pull ahead of other companies was the Rambo line. Those figures were beyond what anyone was putting out at the time.

The first Hot Toys i got was Superman and I wasn't even looking for it, it just showed up on Ebay one day at random :google What really made me like them was not just their quality, but the fact that they were making the figures I wanted to be made. i think a lot of their success is due to the licenses they acquire. They just have everything thats in demand

Also their base body is the standard of the industry, for a lot of people the True Type is what all other 1:6 bodies are judged by

Last edited:
I started with SS and Medicom until I discovered HT. I may purchase an occasional piece from SS (Darth Vader) and Medicom (Anakin Skywalker) but the majority of my figures are HT.

I can go further by saying the majority of my future HT purchases will come from the Marvel license with a few accent pieces from movie icons (Rambo, Terminator, Predator, 300 etc.)

The big question at the moment is determining which older figures to keep and which older figures to sell :confused:

but the fact that they were making the figures I wanted to be made.

I remember when I was a kid and Predator being my favourite movie and dreaming of a kick ass figure. I now have said kick ass figure and despite waiting nearly 20 years, I finally have the figure I always dreamt of.

I think that's part of the success. We are now buying the things we wanted when were were kids.

The big question at the moment is determining which older figures to keep and which older figures to sell :confused:

Is this something you normally do? sell your older ones to buy the new ones? What were you thinking of getting in exchange for what?

2010: The Year We Bought More Hot Toys

Aye! This year is gonna be crazy!! Thank goodness for pinup work! :D

I think Hot Toys needs its own section...too many Hot Toy discussions. (IMO)

the forum is (as it should be) broken up by the subject matter not the toy manufacturer.

I don't have many HT products as they don't happen to make many licenses I collect, however I am very interested in their Tron line that is supposed to come out soon.

I first got started collecting Hasbro Star Wars 12" figures and at the time I really loved them and displayed them proudly. Then came the HT Aliens figures, which at the time I could not afford, but my friend had money and bought every one he could get his hands on. I thought the quality was incredible and I liked that you had to assemble them, more bang for your buck IMO. When the AVP Predators came out I was able to get the Chopper and then I was hooked, it was amazing and is still one of my favorites to this day. I was also really into Sideshows Star Wars figures in a big way, getting every release. I still love them but HT figures are just sixth scale perfection and I find myself caring less about any other companies products unless the price is right, plus Sideshow is charging more with every release and there quality has only improved a little, but they almost want HT prices for there figures. So now I get most of the HT figures, and I have to buy more and more shelves, but this is my addiction.

the forum is (as it should be) broken up by the subject matter not the toy manufacturer.

I don't have many HT products as they don't happen to make many licenses I collect, however I am very interested in their Tron line that is supposed to come out soon.

Thats your opinion...I'm sick of HT threads.

Is this something you normally do? sell your older ones to buy the new ones? What were you thinking of getting in exchange for what?

No. I have a mad money fund to support my habit :lol

I have six detolf's in my media room which is used to display my collection. I run out of room therefore, I am being more selective of licenses. I have figures in the basement in plastic containers which do not get displayed. I view it as a waste of money therefore, I am considering selling them.

I never sold a figure before which is part of the delay. I need to figure out how to go about doing it etc.

The only items I have on pre-order at the moment is Blade II, Battle-Damage Ironman, T-800 and King Leonidas. I am hoping to see IM2 or Marvel figs soon.

I only buy based on license and characters that I really like. I therefore only have 2 Hot Toys: Alien's Kane (found it cheap, but I love the art direction for the movie) and Iron Man (LOVE IM). I may get Wolverine, but that would be it for now. I love what I see of them. All their figures have been absolutely top notch. But if it's not a character that I personally feel a connection towards, then I can't justify the price. If Hot Toys ever got SW or Indy, then I would be screwed. :pow

No. I have a mad money fund to support my habit :lol

I have six detolf's in my media room which is used to display my collection. I run out of room therefore, I am being more selective of licenses. I have figures in the basement in plastic containers which do not get displayed. I view it as a waste of money therefore, I am considering selling them.

I never sold a figure before which is part of the delay. I need to figure out how to go about doing it etc.

The only items I have on pre-order at the moment is Blade II, Battle-Damage Ironman, T-800 and King Leonidas. I am hoping to see IM2 or Marvel figs soon.

You the same pre orders as myself!

Well just yesterday, I listed a hugh lot of Batman Four horsemen comic figures, a Gears of War Lancer, NECA Leonidas and a NECA Alien.
I'm also gonna list my Big Millennium Falcon which I only got a year or so ago, but in that time I only looked at it once.

I have a nearly complete vintage MIB Blackstar collection that is worth a small fortune and I find myself debating weather to sell them or not.

But I will say this, I have sold lot of other figures in recent months because I of both room and the feeling of being a horder and I have not regretted selling anything.
If you think you can live without certain figures, I'm of the opinion that you should sell em for Hot Toys.

I started 1/6th scale with Sideshow back when they made the first three Buffy figures, and developed my collection from there, made up mostly of Sideshow and Majestic Studios.....

Hot Toys caught me with their excellent likenesses and attention to detail, but it wasn't until they did Pirates of the Caribbean that I bought their figures - no matter how cool something looks, I have to be a fan of the license or character.

Hot Toys makes amazing products and I would easily vote them as the best in 1/6th scale, but currently their only line that interests me is one they might not even continue and that's their Watchmen line.

I was going to get into their Batman stuff, but ended up getting up selling my original Batman and Joker figures. I'm just not a big enough Batman fan to justify the expense of buying their Dark Knight figures. They're awesome, but they're not for me.

I'll buy any Watchmen figures they make and a Barbossa if they release him for the 4th movie, but they have no licenses I want to buy into. I would like their Inglourious Basterds Aldo Raine figure, but he's the only one that's likely to be made from IB that I may buy - the only other one I would want is Shoshanna, and I doubt they'll make her. And that's only if I have the spare cash and don't have anything else coming out at the time.

I love Hot Toys, but I've been put off with the way they've handled the Watchmen line, and don't care much for their license choices.

I think Hot Toys needs its own section...too many Hot Toy discussions. (IMO)

Yep. Or their own forum ..
Dont get me wrong I love Hot Toys but i'm bored to tears with some of these threads..No disrespect meant to the o.p btw

Last edited:
Great thread Eamon!! :rock

I started my HT collection about a year ago with the Bank Robber Joker. I saw pics of him in a review and I was just completely blown away by the likeness... I just had to have that figure. He still is my favorite HT fig, and always will have special value to me, because he's the one that started it all :lol

In the last year I also bought She-Predator Machiko and Marcus Wright. Both awesome figures of great characters IMO.

For now I have kind off a "One Fig Per Movie" rule... that's why I don't have a Batman or John Connor for instance. I'd like to keep a diverse collection with only characters I really like from movies.
Of course, there'll come a time that I'm gonna have to break this rule. This time might come pretty quick, since they announced their Avatar license... :D

For this year I'm definitely gonna buy Aldo Raine and (some of) their Avatar figures!
But I hope to be able to pick up some figures from their other licenses (T2, Clash of the Titans (if done properly)) too.

I'm a student so money can be tight and I often really have to save for these figures, but since I'll be having more free time from school the coming six months, I'm gonna look for a job to fund my HT collection.
The fact that I really have to save up for them also taught me to only buy the figures I really like. I will try to keep doing this because I want a collection that really means something to me and which I won't regret :)

I actually have one of the first products of Hot Toys - a Navy Seal VBSS gear and outfit set that was released in 1999. At the time, 21st Century and Hasbro were the main 1/6 makers (though other than Star Wars, mainly military), with Medicom the sole licensed and high-end 1/6 maker (mostly Japanese tokusatu properties like Ultraman, Kamen Rider, etc.) and Dragon/DML was just starting out with WWII stuff. HT's first two products were in fact Navy Seal gear sets with outfit, weapons, vest, etc. but no actual body or headsculpt. And these were I believe a copy of similar sets released by 3Zero Toys (a Japanese company). The gear sets were of poor quality by today's standards, with poor sculpting on the weapons, and some molded pouches, and came in a big green box (nothing like the brilliant packaging they are releasing today). Not bad for a first release, but I honestly couldn't predict that little company would be the leader in 1/6 and excelling at all fronts from sculpting, outfits, gear to packaging. the contrast is startling if you look at the current truetype and compare it with an HT body released from 2004. HT actually wound up re-doing both of the Navy Seal figs in 2004, this time as full figures (albeit with the older base body type), and you can really see the improvements they made in 5 years. And of course the last 5 years has seen even greater improvement. I stopped collecting for many years, but always kept an eye on what HT was doing, which was mostly military until the Aliens and Robocop figures released. Yes, I regret not picking up the HT USCM figs when I had a chance (never thought they'd be so hot). Then everyone knows what happened, and it was the Dark Knight figures (mainly BR Joker) that brought me back into collecting.

I'm curious what the coming years will bring. The T-800 and Aldo look to be fantastic additions to HT's portfolios, and the licenses seem to be rolling in. Furthermore, as a collector of both licensed and military 1/6, HT has stated in interviews that it may be venturing back into military so either way I'm a happy camper.

Here's a pic of that first HT set I bought over ten years ago - I added a DML body and weapon, but it's mainly HT.

IMG_00146.JPG

I really love HT's figures BUT the cost keeps me away. Before the baby and when my wife was working, dropping $125-150 on a figure wasn't a problem. But now with 1 income it's impossible. At the moment I have a Robocop 3 and Battle Damaged ED-209. I've had an AvP Alien Warrior, Rocky, Drago and Clubber but they've moved on. I'm hoping to eventually get Hellboy, Abe and Blade.

Thats your opinion...I'm sick of HT threads.

Yep. Or their own forum ..
Dont get me wrong I love Hot Toys but i'm bored to tears with some of these threads..No disrespect meant to the o.p btw

the only threads i get tired of is "HT _____________ ! would you buy?"

As if HT is the only brand that could make interesting Kill Bill figures for example.

That said, its kinda silly to think HT lines such as Watchmen, Batman, Aliens, PotC, PotA, 300, Predator, Military, Rocky, Rambo, Godfather, etc etc belong in one catchall place just for HT instead of their proper thematic sections.

Most people collect and discuss topics by themes or licenses not by manufacturer.

Back